In the 1st playable mockup, what should the default loadout be?

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Obvious bias here but i would definitely go with an Assault style. The Assaults were the poster child for Firefall imo.

Since the glider wings are already a part of the frame i would say:
  • Afterburner (Soaring optional or multiple charges optional)
  • Inferno Dash or Overcharge (but one that doesn't focus on DMG, instead increases general mobility)
  • Maybe cowboy's plasma bomb thingy, still could have used work though
  • Shockwave, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it

I also liked Cowboy's changes to the Plasma Cannon (the first one). But again, obvious bias is obvious. His original idea for the frame had a lot of potential imo.

Since Ember would be a completely different game this would probably be more of an inspiration i guess anyway.

Jul 27, 2016
If that's your mind set may as well never play another video game again. They all just serve the same purpose. :p
Well after 5 years of thumping, you'd think people would want to try something new for a mockup.
"oh but it's the same but different!"
Guess this won't be the game for me then too, that's fine. I never liked thumping in FireFall either.

Jul 26, 2016
Well after 5 years of thumping, you'd think people would want to try something new for a mockup.
"oh but it's the same but different!"
Guess this won't be the game for me then too, that's fine. I never liked thumping in FireFall either.
It wasn't terribly fun for me either but it sure beats the hell out of tapping a respawning node or repeatedly grinding missions. What it needs is difficulty scaling player, activated or region based, to provide a 'challenge slider'. Something that Thumpers lost too easily was challenge because gear out scaled the encounter and it was predictable and almost static or too methodical. Movement and JJ really killed a lot of the AI's ability to function too.

That might be more why it wasn't your thing?; thats what killed it for me at least.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
It wasn't terribly fun for me either but it sure beats the hell out of tapping a respawning node or repeatedly grinding missions. What it needs is difficulty scaling player, activated or region based, to provide a 'challenge slider'. Something that Thumpers lost too easily was challenge because gear out scaled the encounter and it was predictable and almost static or too methodical. Movement and JJ really killed a lot of the AI's ability to function too.

That might be more why it wasn't your thing?; thats what killed it for me at least.
Do not forget that Thumpers got a "exclusion" zone which prevented other thumpers from being put down near them, thumpers were required to be put down on resources, and that melding thumping was removed.

Back in early CBT melding thumping was one of the big group activities. Drop 2-4 of the massive thumpers by the melding wall and brace for combat, a lot of shit was coming your way and it was going to be a war. That was also one of the ways to consistently get chosen to spawn when you wanted them to. They would come marching from the wall with a vanguard of melded creatures.

Sure, when the thumpers were done most of what you got was dirt that you would have to chuck into the printer for sifting, but the ability to create a massive battle appropriate for a big group was fun in and of itself.

Course that thumping was done long before the game was made so vertical...