If you want to see it grow..

Jul 26, 2016
So checking reality at the door is a perfect excuse for ignoring basic common sense? That visuals and gameplay should not go hand in hand?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster honestly. Complete destruction of the suspension of disbelief.

The omniframe does not fit a merc's needs, it does not fit a military's needs, because both a merc and a military needs the pilot as protected as possible. You cannot just pump experienced pilots out of a factory, even with sci-fi advancements like cloning vats. Each one lost, is a resource that cannot just be replaced.

This makes the complete lack of secondary protection for the pilot a complete deal killer.

And that is something that reality, military stories, and sci-fi stories share. Because it is just basic common sense.
Did it not bother you battleframes in Firefall didn't cover the head?

Just saying you can't expect reality out of everything. As easily as you say it cannot we can easily put something in its place to say it can. None of this game realistic if you get down to it. Flexibility is key.

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Well, then any large weapons causing large explosive damage in Firefall should have killed us in one shot. Sticky naids from engineer? Why is this allowed?

Just saying you can't expect reality out of everything. As easily as you say it cannot we can easily put something in its place to say it can.

If you can find a reasonable excuse for allowing players and enemies to survive 5 explosive devices attached to their person I am all ears for being much more strict on realism. Until then it is worth being loose.
The lore friendly excuse in the case of players that would be the baseline energy shields the suits had (was really obvious given the effect that the players suit used whenever you exited combat on higher graphics settings) which when they failed that is also when you were downed. With large explosive damage having a tendency to overkill you and not even allow a chance at a revive sometimes. Chosen also had this with their frames.

The other not so lore friendly excuse being that they went with a vertical progression system where the health bars simply got bigger. Making things spongier.

Early CBT it really was not hard to get obliterated by a few hits, for player and NPC alike. Unless you were in something armored like the Dreadnought. Which even it went down to enough firepower (especially headshots). If we did not have the vertical system and had values around early CBT then 1, maybe 2, sticky grenades would of been enough to kill most anything not a dreadnought type or big enough to have redundant organs to help let it survive a bit longer.

The pvp excuse for why less damage would be "safety" settings to help prevent accidental deaths and make the matches more enjoyable by having them be longer.

Sticky nades from the Bastion? I guess they wanted something like mine gameplay to fit the whole turtle down in one zone design of the Bastion but ran into issues so they went with a sticky grenade launcher (something the community often requested).

I am fine with reality not being strictly super heavily enforced, provided what is enforced is basic common sense. Which for me, and my friends, the omniframe breaks the rules and fails the requirements for a frontline designed mecha.

By it having a head, a torso with arms that end in hands, a humanoid form, and walking/running in a bipedal manner already humanizes the mech. The pilot humanizes it further by showing their personality through how they use the suit. Not through being seen while in the suit. The mech becomes the body, the pilot is the heart and soul. Together as one does the mecha become "human".

Jul 26, 2016
Understandable view of appearances but none of which drives in game events or character progression, dungeons, or game play elements.

That's far more interesting to me than appearances seeing how bad parts in a moving machine will break the machine where paint and doodads are of at best an inconvenience but not detrimental.

That's all I was getting at. Assets can be modified better and later where modifying game play, as we have all been subjected to, is far more painful.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I agree it is moving forward.

I can just see why some are holding back for now. Especially with so little to show others as of yet. If it was a small area of a pre-alpha then that should be enough for some. Hell the first Firefall trailer was all it took to make the community explode in size.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
The next milestone will feature 3D modeling of the the THMPR and also a "vision book." The vision book will be in PDF and printed formats (for higher end backers...if I can get the price to work). Short 15-25 page book that will outline high level vision of the game. PDF can be shared. Website will also be updated.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
The next milestone will feature 3D modeling of the the THMPR and also a "vision book." The vision book will be in PDF and printed formats (for higher end backers...if I can get the price to work). Short 15-25 page book that will outline high level vision of the game. PDF can be shared. Website will also be updated.
Well that is good to hear.

Did it not bother you battleframes in Firefall didn't cover the head?
Oh it did. That is why I spent real money to get the helmet I liked and never took it off.

Aug 18, 2016
Alabama
So many discussions about the omniframe. I don't care what it looks like as long as it doesn't look like a turd. It's a freaking video game. If you want something realistic, play Microsoft Flight Sim.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
Well done. Should shed some light on the journey forward.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
I think some cautious optimism is fine right now, maybe even just a tiny bit of excitement, even if Ember is little more than an embryo of a game. It's when we start laying down expectations that haven't been promised that we start to go off the rails.

So long as we manage our posting, spread the word and keep our own expectations on a leash, we stand to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as the MEK designs go, honestly, I've put up with far worse suspensions of disbelief in games, especially MMO's over the last decade. If Ember can deliver on better gameplay promises, I can accept something that's a little more sci-fan than sci-fi.