If you want to see it grow..

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
.. Not to kill hype thread again (we should be hyped, we've come along way together as a community) we do need to help in the best ways we can if we want to see this happen. 3.3K Sigs so far and 1.3K forum members isn't bad at all for a fractured and alienated player base, but I'm sure nobody would call it a market. I think I've done a kinda-semi-okay job of putting ember out there, now i've backed off for awhile do to some social media attacks.

but remember, it's not about spamming. sometimes you just need to share the right information at the right moment. Sometimes just a link to a page can set off some big alarms. You guys want all your discussions and feedback come to life you got be apart getting people to come and take interest.

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
It's hard to get anyone excited with just concepts and few drawings, especially when so many things are still up in the air.
I feel like they would need to push out at least something playable, for people to really start looking at this as a serious project.
And I know that it cost money to develop things, but we gotta push through that "need money to make things but we can't make things because we don't have enough money" loop. Gotta spend money to make money, so we will need larger investment to get things in motion sooner or later?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I loved firefall back then when it had much to do and alt fire etc etc
A lot of us experienced how it was then and that is how i will always remember firefall

Knowing that gives me confidence Ember can excel and be one superb sci-fi mmo
Yes its in its infantsy and it will grow, i am excited by this project to see it flourish into the game
the wait is worth it because rushed games tend to be poopy

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Do not build hype, so far there is no game, only promises, i really want to see this project succeed, but hype generates extreme fandom which leads to a cult mentality that rejects any and all criticism of the game, this is unhealthy for the fans and the game itself.
Accepting criticism and fixing mistakes is vital to success.

Jul 27, 2016
Do not build hype, so far there is no game, only promises, i really want to see this project succeed, but hype generates extreme fandom which leads to a cult mentality that rejects any and all criticism of the game, this is unhealthy for the fans and the game itself.
I would avoid thinking of them as "promises" as well, for now. Think of everything merely as ideas and possibilities, since it's very much in the planning stages. ANYTHING could change. Although I'm sure they have the general plan of being the original FireFall but only the good parts.

The thread title reminds me of Chia Pet:
See it grow!

Jul 26, 2016
I think of it like this, being a Firefall supporter and all, at this current moment.

I would love to see the original concept that began to drive Firefall back in action.

I cannot further support the game, at this time with funding, nor can I sell it to anyone I know because I have nothing to sell but artwork and a sort of 'He said/She said' sort of information path. There's nothing to sell anyone on other than to bring up the unnerving and unstable Firefall history as an explanation.

I believe we need to take a step back and see the website actually spell out in even the smallest detail of what we can really expect. We need something to sell, -I- need something to buy that isn't concept art and 'It'll be something like that but I don't know yet' isn't going to cut it.

As of right now my wallet it still sealed until I can see a more definitive action plan and a few more solid write ups on how it is that Ember is visualized to be translated into the successor of Firefall; How exactly does Ember sell itself to Firefall fans not as invested as those of us already actively funding it. We all known Firefall had more than 2000-3000 players. I know it'll take time but I am less worried about what things will look like, what engines we'll use, what weapons we will have, what skins or upgraded modules we will have, since all of these are purely cosmetic and mean nothing if the game play is not solid, engaging, fruitful and generally interesting.

So far, I haven't heard or seen anything telling me the game will be 'fun' all I've seen is artwork and stories and a smidge of a thought without definitive proof that such a concept is actually going to be in place. I'm not asking for a road map. I just want to see what concepts and plans are in mind and some execution for these things written up and easily accessible.

I want a write up summary of something like 'A typical day in Ember'

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
I would love to see the original concept that began to drive Firefall back in action.
This is the reason you are here.
I would love to see this game up and running next month, but it's a labour of love on Marks behalf, with ppl like you and me supporting him. I know this is going to take time, and the momentum needed, would be to hash out the basics to start.
It also shows that there needs to be an incentive to keep ppl interested. I did suggest earlier to grant a % discount for supporting this game when it's up and running, would be one way, but putting promises out there now, is not the time.
Laying out a full detailed scenario of what this game is going to be right now will only lead to dissapointment and confusion.

Chill out, sit back, find another game to enjoy in the mean time, and be possitive that we all got together for when, Firefall shuts it's doors.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
My view is i like to think of it as support for the project too, it is not easy to have people believe in a project when we cannot see the complete product. Those involved want to make it happen otherwise why would such a site be here that is why it excites me.

Yes constructive criticism can be good for improvement, the hype is whatever you want it to be, for me its an ambitious project
with ideas and dreams that we share/add because our input can have a part to play in the universe of ember i believe.

There will be realists, fans, goofballs, dreamers, and more that is fine
I am more of the goofball/dreamer i blame Nintendo and my fascination of odd shows :p

I choose to dream make the dream happen!

Jul 26, 2016
This is the reason you are here.
I would love to see this game up and running next month, but it's a labour of love on Marks behalf, with ppl like you and me supporting him. I know this is going to take time, and the momentum needed, would be to hash out the basics to start.
It also shows that there needs to be an incentive to keep ppl interested. I did suggest earlier to grant a % discount for supporting this game when it's up and running, would be one way, but putting promises out there now, is not the time.
Laying out a full detailed scenario of what this game is going to be right now will only lead to dissapointment and confusion.

Chill out, sit back, find another game to enjoy in the mean time, and be possitive that we all got together for when, Firefall shuts it's doors.
What I'm getting at is more or less: I don't want to get lost in other games and sit idle while the man behind the curtain drops hints.

What would tide me over and help us all would likely be what you see in a Steam game summary; a list of features the game boasts.

Even if we don't know the specifics I'd like a wish list, much like we all create and do so daily, from the people in charge who have the numbers, the professional skills and experience, the insight and history of Firefall and the gaming industry, to feed us a Features list they can deem plausible under the circumstances Ember is being created under, so that we as a community can focus our collective creativity more directly towards things that have a real possibility of being created versus us now simply spitting out our wildest dreams for Ember.

Perhaps it is still too early... Perhaps it is the time?
I'd really like to know what environment we are looking at and not just what we'll see.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Everyone has good and valid points.
We all have things we liked from Firefall that made our memories which made the game fun, hopefully the fun will be incorporated into Ember and be expanded and not be nerf-hammered.
Some grinding is good, it gives self achievement and satisfaction. Hopefully the progression system will be good.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I know it'll take time but I am less worried about what things will look like, what engines we'll use, what weapons we will have, what skins or upgraded modules we will have, since all of these are purely cosmetic and mean nothing if the game play is not solid, engaging, fruitful and generally interesting.
In my, and my friends, case the visuals are important for the gameplay as well because of the omniframe. The omniframe, with its current design, is a big deal breaker because of the exposed pilot. In fact, just looking at the omniframe my friend said "Maybe those Mark Kern detractors were right." It just went against everything that mecha fans look for in a mech. It was something that if he were a soldier he would never pilot it. No military in their right mind would give the go ahead for it being developed, no military would buy it. All because the most important thing, the pilot, has no protection outside of an energy shield.

If the omniframes shields go down and the next hit is not an automatic kill then its a huge no. People are trained to attack the center mass, which in the omniframe's case is the pilot themselves. This omniframe design is a big case where the visuals are required to go hand in hand with the gameplay. If the player has a health bar that the creature has to chew through then why have the player in the thing in the first place? The omniframe is being attacked by something that rips mechs apart. Something no human, no matter how super powerful or armored against small arms, should be able to withstand.

May as well remove the human from the omniframe and make it essentially remote piloted if the "player" has a health bar after the shields go down.

Me and my friend have our wallets closed unless the omniframe gets a redesign or a guarantee that we can cover up the exposed pilot as early as just starting out. The current design may work as a learning how to operate a mech trainer, works as something on the dock yard, but its design does not fit the needs, or requirements, of frontline combat. Which is a total immersion and enjoyment breaker.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The omniframe is a way of increasing an individual's strength and mobility this is what i would assume.
It might not be the main battle omniframe perhaps there are various frames for various jobs but that just my guess.

A fully armored closed mech does look sexy i'll admit! Its boring having them all closed, what if you wanted to just hop out fast and collect something from a building then hop back in. I remember the game lost planet it had some mechs that weren't fully covered too and were the weaker model

The omniframe is just the prototype there could be more perhaps one's that have chunkier legs to jump higher heck even a dualframe for a pilot and gunner, or a huge armored personal carrier mech that can carry a small team in harsh territories or
a speedframe for faster movement compensating for the lack of armor/weapons etc etc

Preference of Play style to use which ever mech you enjoy depending also on team composition/ solo play to even
what environment or mission you will take.

Just my thoughts on it

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
The omniframe is a way of increasing an individual's strength and mobility this is what i would assume.
It might not be the main battle omniframe perhaps there are various frames for various jobs but that just my guess.
I didn't promise multiple frames on any occasion, even with tiers. In fact, I've specifically said that tiers would be customization options but not different frame styles because of budget. A single omniframe with replaceable inner components and weapons for different roles is for sure. Visual upgrades on on the omniframe will be possible with the way its built, but maybe not implementable because of budget. We just have to see how far we cab get.

Also, while I've said I'm leaning towards tiers, we just don't know yet how the system will play out.
A fully armored closed mech does look sexy i'll admit! Its boring having them all closed, what if you wanted to just hop out fast and collect something from a building then hop back in. I remember the game lost planet it had some mechs that weren't fully covered too and were the weaker model
The reason why they are all closed is because its required for a intentional frontline combat vehicle. You have to protect the most important component of any combat vehicle: the people driving it. You can replace a vehicle, you can replace the weapons, but you cannot replace a skilled pilot who died.

In Lost Planet the open mechs are repurposed for combat. Removal of arm assemblies for weapon mounts. In fact, when you look at all the purpose made combat mechs in the game all of them are fully enclosed and armored. While all the open mechs sit around in the snow abandoned.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I think the people saying they are taking a wait and see attitude is likely shared by people who don't post on the forums as well. They've been burned and are far less accepting and willing to jump on a bandwagon so early. I mean, first there needs to actually be a horse to pull the wagon and then you still need to build the wagon. After that, as long as that wagon isn't a manure spreader, people will consider climbing aboard.

Jul 26, 2016
In my, and my friends, case the visuals are important for the gameplay as well because of the omniframe. The omniframe, with its current design, is a big deal breaker because of the exposed pilot. In fact, just looking at the omniframe my friend said "Maybe those Mark Kern detractors were right." It just went against everything that mecha fans look for in a mech. It was something that if he were a soldier he would never pilot it. No military in their right mind would give the go ahead for it being developed, no military would buy it. All because the most important thing, the pilot, has no protection outside of an energy shield.

If the omniframes shields go down and the next hit is not an automatic kill then its a huge no. People are trained to attack the center mass, which in the omniframe's case is the pilot themselves. This omniframe design is a big case where the visuals are required to go hand in hand with the gameplay. If the player has a health bar that the creature has to chew through then why have the player in the thing in the first place? The omniframe is being attacked by something that rips mechs apart. Something no human, no matter how super powerful or armored against small arms, should be able to withstand.

May as well remove the human from the omniframe and make it essentially remote piloted if the "player" has a health bar after the shields go down.

Me and my friend have our wallets closed unless the omniframe gets a redesign or a guarantee that we can cover up the exposed pilot as early as just starting out. The current design may work as a learning how to operate a mech trainer, works as something on the dock yard, but its design does not fit the needs, or requirements, of frontline combat. Which is a total immersion and enjoyment breaker.
Yet, none of what exists in Ember can feasibly exist at all, to what we know, so realistically none of it should even come to exist?
We have to check reality at the door at times and let it enter dialed a bit back.

What is covered and was is not covered does not change game play. You could skin Firefall with Ember assets and not change anything else and guess what? You and I and anyone else here would still be unhappy with how the game plays and say it sucks.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Yet, none of what exists in Ember can feasibly exist at all, to what we know, so realistically none of it should even come to exist?
We have to check reality at the door at times and let it enter dialed a bit back.

What is covered and was is not covered does not change game play. You could skin Firefall with Ember assets and not change anything else and guess what? You and I and anyone else here would still be unhappy with how the game plays and say it sucks.
So checking reality at the door is a perfect excuse for ignoring basic common sense? That visuals and gameplay should not go hand in hand?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster honestly. Complete destruction of the suspension of disbelief.

The omniframe does not fit a merc's needs, it does not fit a military's needs, because both a merc and a military needs the pilot as protected as possible. You cannot just pump experienced pilots out of a factory, even with sci-fi advancements like cloning vats. Each one lost, is a resource that cannot just be replaced.

This makes the complete lack of secondary protection for the pilot a complete deal killer.

And that is something that reality, military stories, and sci-fi stories share. Because it is just basic common sense.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I think the people saying they are taking a wait and see attitude is likely shared by people who don't post on the forums as well. They've been burned and are far less accepting and willing to jump on a bandwagon so early. I mean, first there needs to actually be a horse to pull the wagon and then you still need to build the wagon. After that, as long as that wagon isn't a manure spreader, people will consider climbing aboard.
manure is good for soil just saying but in this case your right

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The progress they are making is good & on the next stage it is a step by step process for all of us to see & evaluate

Ember is moving forward just look!