Ideas and stuff on What's going on offworld/in the sky on our side

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
After having given Grummz a rough presentation of this idea, he suggested i'd post it here, which I did now.

Basically i thought about Our main hub and similar things, and how to possibly leave more options open, both for us players and especially on development side, both on lore and gameplay.

I found out Grummz Wants the "main hub", like copacabana was the main hub for firefall, to be a floating sky city similar to the one in the Avengers movies, like that :

That'd be the main base of operations on the ground, or in this case in the sky.

But then I've also thought about how the gatestriders got here, with their own spaceship, carrying the necessary tools and materials to live, as well as some heavy weaponry, perhaps orbital strike canons or such. That stuff is to be determined by Grummz.

Then EM-8ER also has a moon, and i thought what greater place to build our HeadQuarters other than EM-8ER's moon, which is barren and empty, much like Earth's. From there Higher ups such as officers or commanders would be able to send out orders, scan the planet (be it for enemy bases, enemy units or other things) and many other things also to be determined. The scans would most likely require for us to control the area and have some sort of orbital relays built inside our bases there.

With the Moon HQ, our spaceship in orbit and the sky city, this leaves us with many options for things possible, especially when it comes to game development, advancing in the story with every update and such!

Now that i'm finished with that, I also came up with an "orbital deployment" idea, much like deep strikes in Warhammer 40000. Here's a few exemples :

(happens at around 0:50 in this first video)
Skip this second vid to 2:10 if you only want to see a "steel rain" maneuver, which is very high amounts of deep strikes at once.
Emergency evacuation through deep strikes in this last video, shows drop pods leaving the ship.

I've come with the idea of a new possible buidling that would be possible to make in bases/outposts. Orbital deployment beacons (name to be determined) that would allow people to deep strike from the sky city/gatestrider spaceship (that depends on what Grummz finds easier to make/balance) to any area which has an orbital deployment beacon, a very interesting part about this is that you can deploy quickly right into the heat of battle AND with multiple people in the same drop pod, which is extremely interesting for players who go around as a squad, but also takes further advantage of one thing our enemies do not control, air travel. Of course there'll be a need of a fair bit of modifications, in name and in action, to not have copyright problem with Games Workshop.

Please leave your ideas, opinions, comments or anything below!

Tyceus

Firstclaimer
Jun 22, 2017
Denmark
hmm, i very much like the idea of being able to drop down together with a squad in a drop pod.
however something i also think would be cool is that while having the moon being the main base, that maybe in the future players will be able to fight for a big place on the planet, possibly by landing a colony ship while players protect the construction and supply/donate resources to make it possible. i just like the thought of people working together for a big achievement.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
One thing I really liked from the original Firefall was the roaming shuttles that were always travelling to and from specific points in the world. For most people they were just a mediocre way to get to a specific point in the map for those who didn't have bikes. but to me,they made it a lot of fun to travel with friends, and made it feel so much cooler to engage in important battles, when me and my crew jumped off the dropship at the same time like a strike team and went right into battle. It also made the world feel so much more alive. I loved it when I approached copa and saw the dropship lift off and leave. Then I'd just check the printers or something while I waited for the next ship. It sort of felt like waiting for the bus or a train IRL, which is boring, but in Firefall it made me feel so much more immersed in the game.

In EM-8ER, maybe these dropships could fly to and from the moon, and maybe also between various points in the surface of the planet and the mothership / main base. Maybe if a player's terraforming base gets advanced enough, they could get their own dropship station for easy fast travel.

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I +1 Moon base/Space station option. This is a Sci-Fi game AND if I were going to colonize/wage war on a planet I'd do it from orbit, especially so if the enemy is on planet. Now for sky ships...I like the idea of them but perhaps those could be the terraforming platforms and you could get a transport to them and then glide to the action from there until a base is up and running on the surface.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I +1 Moon base/Space station option. This is a Sci-Fi game AND if I were going to colonize/wage war on a planet I'd do it from orbit, especially so if the enemy is on planet. Now for sky ships...I like the idea of them but perhaps those could be the terraforming platforms and you could get a transport to them and then glide to the action from there until a base is up and running on the surface.
Sky ships are Grummz's idea as i've pointed out, but i can see something being done between those and terraforming platforms.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
*AWESOMESAUCE IDEAS*
Please leave your ideas, opinions, comments or anything below!
A moon base, a space station, a space ship, or a sky city as our "Main Hub" or "HQ" ...
I honestly can't make up my mind which of those ideas I like more ... ALL of them are really
AWESOMESAUCE ideas!

Also, your "orbital deployment beacon" idea sounds COOL too; it would make for an interesting way for players to travel to their destination on planet Em-8ER's surface; with or without a full team.

I think Grummz's decision will depend on what is "doable" in a terms of both time and cost in the development for the "main hub" design. Things can always be added to or changed later on; especially seeing as how players will be terraforming the planet and developing new technologies with research and crafting. Either way, I think any or all of these ideas showing up at some point in-game would be COOL! ;) :cool:

8 FOR EM-8ER :cool::cool::cool:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

1525710539455.png

I've said this before and I will say it again, a space elevator makes the most sense for an orbital platform.

It is traditionally considered the most cost effective method for transferring from surface to space, particularly high mass materials like raw metals needed to build, maintain, and expand a space station.

The reaper colony ship would be designed to be the first counterweight from which reaper teams could sorty.

A counterweight colony ship provides an ideal platform for "mass mover" weapons needed for area protection.

The tether system provides a unique gameplay element for starting new bases and requiring their defense, the loss of a tether would be catastrophic for the outpost it services.

Building new tethers/stations and climbers can all be part of the community wide resource sinks.

Tether stations provide a perfect location for launching teraforming equipment and zone to zone player movement via space shuttles.

Tether stations allow for drop pod insertion of player/frame into a large surrounding area around the tether base, thus providing solid fast travel method.

A tether station would provide a potentially breathtaking panoramic view of the world below with the ability to highlight the teraforming progress of the planet. Because apparent gravity would be generated from centripetal force, "UP" would be towards the planet, allowing the ceiling to utilize transparent aluminum windows for scene/tone setting.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Well this is great and i do appreciate the idea, the main hub won't be in orbit, just in the sky, out of reach from Tsi-hu weaponry, and it'll most likely be the only base that will be like that since there needs to be a main hub that can't be lost, also if there was an elevator to it, the tsi-hu could destroy it as well. Seriously there's nothing more simple than small transport ships that go from the ground to orbit, if there is a need to go back to the gatestrider spaceship that is. Best exemple is thunderhawks from 40K, simple, efficient and quick. Firefall-like dropships would no doubt be more than enough to just get on the floating sky-city

great exemple : (ALERT - big spoilers if you intend to play WH40K DOW2 and haven't finished it)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Seriously there's nothing more simple than small transport ships that go from the ground to orbit
Not exactly true, the amount of fuel needed to achieve orbit per kg of mass lifted is VERY high. This is why we have huge rockets with tiny payload. And while yes future tech and all, the same general principle is still going to hold true.

As for the tether being destroyed, that was the whole point. Auxiliary outposts would be at risk, but having a colony ship for the central tether would mean it wouldn't be lost, also one would assume the main base would be unassailable outside of special events. Only the colony ship would have the mass movers that prevent the enemy from encroaching on the central base. All others defenses are ground based.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Maybe if a player's terraforming base gets advanced enough, they could get their own dropship station for easy fast travel.
That would be great

Sky city with the view from above the sky at night and the changing weather up here everything is surreal!

i like the idea of gates to transport shipments and the risk of getting ambushed just like in stargate because lets say gates use up alot of energy or send some frequency that enemies can hear so you know that you have to time this all right to escape.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
... Basically i thought about Our main hub and similar things, and how to possibly leave more options open, both for us players and especially on development side, both on lore and gameplay.

I found out Grummz Wants the "main hub", like copacabana was the main hub for firefall, to be a floating sky city similar to the one in the Avengers movies.

That'd be the main base of operations on the ground, or in this case in the sky ...

both.gif

I'd like to see a mixture of both.

Have the floating sky city, but also have that floating sky city in turn be some kind of shield generator for a planetside base of operations. Think in terms of the shield generator that protected the Death Star in Return of the Jedi, but in reverse. The planetside base would be more Trans Hub military style than Copacobana holiday destination style.

That would give the players two locations, rather than one, the second planetside location being something we can launch vehicles out of, just as if we were piloting Founder Choppers out of Copa. It would also double as an intro to new players as to the type of buildings that can be crafted, without dropping them deep in it to get a feel for it.

Aka, give the players choice.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
I would love to have a main-hub. would be great looking up into the pretty sky and see a hub
1526385084888.jpg 1526385149306.jpg

I only wished that they did something to Fortaleza Antigua in faufau like making it a guild hub or something. I would of loved to know everything Grummz intentions and plans for that place, it was a really beautiful, wish we pushed back the melding and established another hub there, such a nice place.

I really like what you've suggestion Terib.
I also wished that there was a mission that we took back parts of the arklight and one day established a hub there.

Dec 27, 2016
LV-426
I liked the Shadow Broker base from Mass Effect 2. It's a base-ship moving always inside a heavily charged storm in the atmosphere. It takes power from the storm and it's also concealed from scans (electromagnetic interference) and doesn't show on visual images (clouds). Guess what happened to the contractors...

May 22, 2018
Greetings from Germany :)
I would like a start zone where 4 bioms meet (maybe vulcanic iceland, desert, grassland and jungle/forest) and in the middle of it the floating sky city as mentioned before or some kind of kingdom or city on the ground.
These four biomes will maybe even slowly change a bit with time nothing too big just something like growing trees or moving dunes...just like the natural biomes change too, (i dont know whats possible with gaming technology, server utilization etc.)
These 4 Biomes wont change back ((Falling below the minimum can set back Terraforming efforts (wont happen here)))
(maybe to keep the biomes from changing back the players have to pay a very little
fee from what they mine to keep that place running, to some kind of government?)

What do you think about this?

Greetings and Love to all of you :*

Manwild

Deepscanner
Jul 29, 2016
I love the idea of sky bases. Great for stategic deployment. But I also had the idea of an underground city. Safe from any forms of hostiles and enviromental conditions. Could be an underground ocean as well. Canyons and caves stretching for miles. Maybe for personal quarters. Ring gates that transport you to the surface.
Shops, kiosk's, buildings, tracks, maybe mine out some extended caverns for resources.
Just a thought.