idea: Enhanced screenshot functionality

Discussion in 'General Ember Discussion' started by spiralofhope, Jul 13, 2017.

1. spiralofhope

spiralofhope Member

The vagueness of screenshots makes them difficult to curate and share.

One of the biggest issues I've had with screenshotting in every video game I've played, is that it dumps a bunch of coded images. They're particularly annoying to process, in bulk, well after the fact. No memory of the events, a fuzzy recollection of the areas or objects shown, etc.

For example, World of Warcraft only has a date/timestamp, but it's not in a sortable format.

I propose something sane, like

yyyy-mm-dd__hh-mm-ss.jpg

I think perhaps a slight amount more information in the filename would be useful.. perhaps a zone or event name shortform. Unfortunately, for technical limitations the filename length must be kept short. Perhaps drop files screenshotted close together and in the same zone into a folder? Damn that would be so awesome.

Also create a companion text file:

yyyy-mm-dd__hh-mm-ss.txt

Within it would be extended information. The zone and subzone names, GPS within it, event and boss names, base name, etc. Maybe even details of the character being screenshotted. Also details of the party/raid etc. As much as possible.

-

The idea is that a person can go through their old screenshots in a better way, and re-live things.

"Oh dude, that event was so hard when it first came out" (wipe-fest of corpses, text file includes the event name and party members/loadouts)

"I had such a great impression of this zone" (gliding over landscape, text file includes the glider details, zone name, GPS and direction facing)

"Oh that armor was so cool" (model closeup, text file includes the list of equipment)

"Oh yeah, that was that awesome special-event holiday raid that developer put together" (huge number of people wearing party hats, text file includes the character's buffs including the hat, and the entire raid list)

-

Improving screenshots ultimately leads to higher quality sharing of curated galleries, which leads to being more social.

NanoTechnician and Degiance like this.
  2. Degiance

Degiance New Member

As a person who tends to take alot of screenshots, that sounds like an excellent idea. Especially after a year or so playing you can have around hundred or more screens and i personally would like if you could add like a small note to the screenshot right after you take it. If all that you suggested isn't implimented in some way.

spiralofhope likes this.
  3. Arca9

Arca9 New Member

Screenshot folder can be sub-divided into folders as well. Such as a specific month.

Something like

Jan - 2017

April - 2107

Dec - 2017

Jan - 2018

To keep the files a little more organized.

Degiance likes this.
  4. spiralofhope

spiralofhope Member

I totally agree with you. I've found myself typing notes into the chat area, but with the UI turned off that won't work.

I agree, but it needs to be sortable:

2017-01
    2017-03

etc.

Six years of World of Warcraft taught me the value of sorting.

Degiance likes this.