I need another game to play while we wait.

Jul 27, 2016
If you haven't tried them, APB: Reloaded and Defiance are shooter MMO types that you can get into fairly easily. When you're first starting out in APB:R, most of the missions you run will be super easy because people don't use cover, but you'll get gold level threat quickly and be challenged or aimbotted to death. Aside from that, it's an open-world GTA MMO with an extreme level of customization, pretty fun. Driving is server-sided, get used to that lagtime and you're good. Defiance is fun but extremely slow after a certain point.

MOBA games are to-taste, if the community is too salty we understand. I have to take breaks between weeks where I play DotA 2.

Blacklight: Retribution is okay, they've done stuff recently I'm not thrilled with. There's a free Tom Clancy Ghost Recon type game that's pretty fun, can't remember the exact name. It's free though, and fairly tactical.

Realm of the Mad God is a neat MMO-thing on steam for free, and you could look at Endless Sky if you were keen on it.

Mabinogi is a Korean MMO you can definitely sink time into. It's running on an impossibly old engine and network optimization was done for a different country (so I'm told), so it won't run great, but it's got some neat systems you can give all of your time and money.
Dragon Nest is a free game that combines... I suppose it's a 3D fast-paced brawler, but it's online and it's mostly dungeon crawling/RPG stuff. The combat is a MMO/fighting game hybrid, heavy on the latter.
Both Mabinogi and Dragon Nest are Nexon games, so enjoy that P2W/Cosmetic sinkhole if you're familiar with them.

Spiral Knights is doing okay now too, you could give that a try.

I think Dungeon Defenders 2 is a free multiplayer team PvP pseudo-TD now.

Magicka: Wizard Wars should also be free.

Could give Trove a shot too.

Last edited:

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Third-person shooter with parkour? Warframe. There will be grind, because war... war never changes for players stuck in the F2P arena.

MOBA games? Erm... Smite, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Awesomenauts. Pick your poison. (No really. MOBA communities are generally toxic to a degree.)

F2P and still in beta is Paladins (another game from Hi-Rez) that is basically a team-based pick a hero and go TF2-alike.

Then there are those occasional promotions during major sales/bundles where a game or two is offered as a freebie... latest that I acquired that way a couple weeks back was Megabyte Punch.
Warframe isn't a bad grind most of the time. The whole idea of the game is creating better gear.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Warframe isn't a bad grind most of the time. The whole idea of the game is creating better gear.
That's what a grind is though, and random drops/low availability drops with 24 hour obligatory wait times can mean quite a long wait for certain weapons. This is made worse if the gun or frame you picked out isn't actually that good, or if you're a solo player and run into the research locked weapons

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
That's what a grind is though, and random drops/low availability drops with 24 hour obligatory wait times can mean quite a long wait for certain weapons. This is made worse if the gun or frame you picked out isn't actually that good, or if you're a solo player and run into the research locked weapons
I play the game and it isn't really all that bad. Getting in a clan is easy and most weapons with mods can be good. And the hard part isn't getting a new weapon or frame but leveling it up.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Why not get some emulators and play some retro games there are loads!
Yes i know its not great graphics but hey its fun :D

or could get this?

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
If you play warframe and expect to get all the things really quickly, or even the things you want, you gonna have a bad time.

It is a fun game, I enjoyed it, even bought stuff from it, which I rarely do in f2p game, as I usually get tired of them.

Warframe is best enjoyed if you attempt to have fun with what you got, and looking forward to the stuff you can get. instead of grinding with stuff you hate, to get the stuff you probably will hate anyway. becuase if you hate the beginning of the game, you will hate the rest of it. I promise.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
I play the game and it isn't really all that bad. Getting in a clan is easy and most weapons with mods can be good. And the hard part isn't getting a new weapon or frame but leveling it up.
I've played the game on and off since Beta, as well as having tried the console port and experiencing the new tutorial flow. If you select a weapon you don't like at the start, solutions that aren't "build the other gun and hope for the best/be behind in resource gathering" are limited. Many of the weapons require materials you won't have access to for some time, and it's worse if you have a frame you don't like.

On top of that, you have pretty much no choice if you're not into joining clans or syndicates, as there are multiple worthwhile weapons tied to that system entirely. Same issue applies to people who only want to play with friends as well: you're now going to be building a base from scratch on top of any and all other grind factors

I think forma-ing weapons is an awful system as well, but for a new user, grinding for frame parts and then waiting days for components to complete is awful, and it's made worse if you didn't immediately make optimal choices for your play style from the get-go, or if you hate how the frame you got plays. It's a very wiki-centric game, and I don't think the existence of guides makes up for how the game presents itself to new users

Meanwhile, I've played free to play games with an upfront grind that do a better job catering to new players and solo/small group play. None of them involve crafting times for gear either. It's just not necessary and doesn't add any extra depth or enjoyment to the game

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Its not a computer game but have you ever thought of playing peek a boo with your next door neighbour yeah
it could be fun just an idea though o_O