I need another game to play while we wait.

Jul 27, 2016
So while Ember gets built, I need another game to download and play. Something free and fun. I'd ask for something grind-free, but that doesn't exist any longer.

Any ideas? Not Path of Exile. I'm sick of it, and I hate the randomness of everything in it.

LunaCee

Lieutenant
Jul 26, 2016
West coast, USA
Third-person shooter with parkour? Warframe. There will be grind, because war... war never changes for players stuck in the F2P arena.

MOBA games? Erm... Smite, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Awesomenauts. Pick your poison. (No really. MOBA communities are generally toxic to a degree.)

F2P and still in beta is Paladins (another game from Hi-Rez) that is basically a team-based pick a hero and go TF2-alike.

Then there are those occasional promotions during major sales/bundles where a game or two is offered as a freebie... latest that I acquired that way a couple weeks back was Megabyte Punch.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
you could try brawlhalla, it's free and fun if you're into games like SSBB, and it actually is grind free, it may not keep you occupied for a lenghty amount of time but it's higly unlikely to frustrate you at least, also paragon (Moba fps basically) should be going into open beta like today, (i suppose it might've been delayed, haven't checked i'm an idiot it's not the 16 yet there) i don't know if there will actually be grind (unlikely, as it's a moba) but it shouldn't be at LoL levels of toxicity yet.
Warframe is not so grindy imho (if you know what to do) but if you do choose to play it do yourself a favour and pick excal as a starter even if you like volt or mag better conceptually, i started with volt back in the day and let me tell you that it's something that you really REALLY don't want to do, excal simply packs a better punch and between that and the mr3 quest reward sword you're actually set for endgame as far as loadouts go.

Last edited:

Red

Jul 26, 2016
I just want to check and make sure that you understand this game still has another 2 years minimum before being released in any form that will retain a playerbase for longer than a day at most right?

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Blacklight: Retribution, pretty fun little shooter. It's a side project for a company that owns the game, so not to many updates. But nevertheless, if you like customization and shooters, this is fun game to try.

ble003

Commander
Aug 7, 2016
seconding warframe for firefall-likes. if you decide to try it, look up the wiki. the game's fairly grindy, but recently i've found the rng to be pretty ok because the amount of different drops you get from one specific source is usually pretty limited. other than that, for syndicates you should level either [steel meridian and cephalon suda] or [red veil and new loka]; favoring the first in each pair. doing either of those gives you four syndicates out of six, and all of the syndicates have nice items without too much rng. also, there is an /unstuck command and you will need it. also, there's a lot of ability and equipment variety once you get started, which alleviates the grind.

card games!
duelyst is good, and pretty newbie-friendly. think hearthstone on a chessboard. i only started recently, but play more than my daily quests.
infinity wars has a neat concept and base rules, but you end up playing premade decks and there are long waiting times.

dungeon crawlers!
dungeon crawl: stone soup has great gameplay mechanics and no plot. it has the best gods and god-powers. it has a god that lets you be the jesus of orcs, one that turns you into a tornado, one likes slow things and makes you slow and strong, and one that asks you to sacrifice parts of your character for power. also class gods and good(restriction) gods. it's a game i keep coming back to even though i've never come far in it.
elona is fucking weird. its gods give you items and stat-boosts, and are all over-the-top anime archetypes. extremely wiki-dependent.
adom has a plot and quests and stuff, but i didn't like it. it has the most boring religion system.

platformers!
starbreak is an mmo-roguelike-bullethell-platformer, which is fucking weird. i played it a lot for a short time, then burned out after unlocking all the classes and hardly played it since. there are no character-slots without microtransactions, which means you get stuck playing the same class until you die without a lot of variation to the gameplay. all the classes play very differently, though. once you think you can unlock duskwing when you die, don't. try to live until you unlock ironclad.
khimera: destroy all monster girls is a beat-em-up platformer with a megaman-esque progression system. it has some difficulty-curve problems and i laughed far more seldom than the game tried, but it's fun enough to complete.
cave story is a classic run and gun platformer with somewhat floaty handling, the weapons and enemies are both neat.
superfighters deluxe is a pvp platform shooter with an action-movie theme. it has flamethrowers, destructible environments, slow motion and the ability to steer a missile that hit you into the person who shot it. great with friends.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I just want to check and make sure that you understand this game still has another 2 years minimum before being released in any form that will retain a playerbase for longer than a day at most right?
Yes, thus my asking for a game or two in the interim.

Any game will do. It doesn't have to be a shooter. I'll play almost anything if it's interesting.

What's that one where you play a super hero? League of Something or Other? Is that any good?

Jul 27, 2016
Yes, thus my asking for a game or two in the interim.

Any game will do. It doesn't have to be a shooter. I'll play almost anything if it's interesting.

What's that one where you play a super hero? League of Something or Other? Is that any good?
Marvel Universe I think it's called.

Jul 26, 2016
Tyrian is a crazy free game. This thing has so much content in it, that's it's crazy that it got abandoned.

this video explains everything...
Tyrian is Free on GoG. Runs without needing an emulator. You just need to sign up for an account on GoG.
https://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000
or use a emulator and get the game here...
http://www.abandonia.com/games/296/

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Grind free exists, it just depends on how much you like the style of game that uses it
I've been dumping a lot of time into Xonotic recently, and while I'm not 100% happy with there weapons are currently at, it's a fun FOSS Arena Shooter. Community is small though, so you're only really going to be playing on one or two servers. Warsow is another free AFPS option with a similar pop issue, as are QuakeWorld (which is the least forgiving of the 3) and, if you prefer a different flavour of AFPS, Unreal Tournament 4

Outside of that, I've dumped some time into PSO2 (requires a fan translation to play). There's definitely a grind if you're looking to do level cap'd content, but I just play it solo or with a friend or two and treat it like an offline game for the most part (that is to say, outside of using player made shops extensively to get discs and low-mid tier gear when I'm lazy)

Tribes 1 and 2 are free at this point, and the latter even still has a decent number of players, last I checked. Unless TribesNext cleared out its worth a shot.

You could always become trapped in Dwarf Fortress and spend the next few years creating bear moats and blood powered dams before one of your dwarves goes insane and murders everyone

SMITE is pretty good if you're alright with the League/Dota style setup with more action-oriented combat and a more ground-level camera. Unless something has massively changed, make sure you use wards

I guess that's pretty much everything off the top of my head. I know Battlerite and Diabotical are on the horizon but I don't know what their payment models are going to look like. Warframe is alright if you can stand the grind and/or social requirement for weapons as well as being okay with the fact that your grind time is dependent on randomized drops+a predefined "build time"

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Some suggestions: Overwatch, Counterstrike: Global Offensive (never liked Cs before, but GO is pretty good), maybe even AOE2, Gary's Mod, these games require no grinding.
Maybe Pokemon Go? But ya gotta grind that

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
I am also looking for new games to play.

Been playing these lately

X3. Space sandbox game
Fallout 4, I think you know what that is.
Guildwars 1. old mmorpg. But fun if you interested in guildwars overall.
Settlers 2 10th anniversary. one of the best remakes of a game from the 90s. Now I wish they would just do it with Settlers 3 and it's expansions.
War Thunder. Man this game is just getting better and better. And later in the year it will add naval battles. Waaaant.
And also played some Dirt Rally, you can never go wrong with some kickass rally game.

Jul 27, 2016
You got bored of MWO? Because I'm still playing the shit out of it. :D
Nah, I still play MWO, particularly when there's an event going on. I've kind of settled into two game modes there: Quick play with my Kodiak armed with four LB10X ACs, or a faction scouting match with my Stormcrow armed with nine small lasers. It still makes me quiver when I'm closing in for a kill.

I can only do that so much though, because it's the same thing over and over on different maps.

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
You got bored of MWO? Because I'm still playing the shit out of it. :D
Nah, I still play MWO, particularly when there's an event going on. I've kind of settled into two game modes there: Quick play with my Kodiak armed with four LB10X ACs, or a faction scouting match with my Stormcrow armed with nine small lasers. It still makes me quiver when I'm closing in for a kill.

I can only do that so much though, because it's the same thing over and over on different maps.

add in game, *JustCaustic*

Been in MWO since EARLY closed beta, still play in intervals including since the last update :D

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I recommend killing floor 2 to all of you, with the SWAT beta which just came out it's even better. Everyone will find their playstyle in this game. If you don't wanna play this then i can also recommend payday 2 and mount and blade : warband.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Not sure why people are recommending retail games when one of the requirements was "free". Worth noting though that Mount and Blade has a free demo up til level 8 last I checked. You can play forever but you'll be hardcapped in terms of strength and, iirc, army size

Also a minor note on Xonotic. If you're NA and want to play, ~6pm pst/pdt onwards on weekdays and random times on the weekends are the way to go. I tend to play from about 7:30 pm pst/pdt onwards and can show any interested newbies the ropes. AFPS is not an "easy" genre, but Xonotic is a decent starting point and learning/getting good is exceptionally fulfilling

Jul 26, 2016
steamcommunity.com

Yeah, i know many people get tired of that after a while. But for me it's more about figuring out ways to improve my builds, so the performance in matches are more of a reward to me. It feels a lot like Beta FF and the constraints system. Wich was awesome.

add in game, *JustCaustic*

Been in MWO since EARLY closed beta, still play in intervals including since the last update :D
Neat! Gonna add you tonight. :)