Good things about Firefall and some suggestion for the game.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
This article is for 2 things, to answer a question for Mr. Grummz and to give some suggestions for the game.

Mr. Grummz asked in the Discord for goods things about Firefall after its release, because it was a lot of years ago, I only remember 2 things: the tutorials and the instanced lore missions and dungeons.

The tutorials:
Many games have the tutorial mode completely off about the game world itself, but some use the tutorials not only to teach players to play the game but to tell the lore and story of the game and even some of them make the tutorial part of the story.
I think it’s an important thing to tell what the game is about, the motivations of the player and especially for RP.

Instanced lore missions and dungeons:
When they put them into the game, they got rid of the open world lore missions and quests, they said that in this way players don’t need to compete with strangers about the mission objectives or got the mission feels ruined because other players.
I loved this way because when we were strong enough, we unlocked the next lore mission that we could do solo or in a party of friends in an instanced stage, and those missions were repeatable and had several levels of difficulty that the players could choose before go in.
I hope that if we will have lore missions in the game, they could be like that from Firefall.

Some suggestions for the game:

About invasions:
I suggest if there could be some kind of “special” invasions where tsi-hu could use some modifiers to change the way players will fight them.
E.G.:
  • Tsi-hu will have a very strong shield that make them immune to ranged damage, in this way players must face them within melee range only.
  • Tsi-hu will have a very powerful armour with a poisonous aura, that make them immune to melee weapons and very dangerous at close range.
  • Tsi-hu will have some kind of emp that deactivate the omniframes abilities, so players could only fight them with weapons.
  • Tsi-hu will have some kind of disruptor that deactivate the omniframes special movement abilities, so players couldn’t skim, glide or use the jumpjets.
Those modifiers could be available 1 per invasion or several of them at the same time, and could be permanent during that invasion or the tsi-hu could have some kind of equipment mounted on a kaiju and if the players destroy it, they could nullify those modifiers.

Some “game modes” for invasions or instanced stages:
MOBA mode: Tsi-hu could have a mobile base with some defences and when it reaches our base it start spawn some tsi-hu and kaiju in waves, our bases will have npcs and defences that will help players to push the front lines, destroy the tsi-hu base defences (towers) and destroy the power source of their base before they destroy ours.

Tower defence mode: Tsi-hu deploy some kind of virus at our base that deactivate our omniframes and automated defences, so players will only play with their pilots and need to control manually the defences of their base like turrets, mines… and must prevent the invasions of reaching our base core. The tsi-hu will attack in waves and players will need to survive a certain number of waves and repair, upgrade and deploy their defences manually between waves.

Tower attack mode: a kind of the inversed previous mode, where players will attack a tsi-hu base (that could have a labyrinth or not) and need to survive their defences and defenders until reach their core to end the match. This mode could have stages where players will need to reach a gate to deactivate the defences and open the next stage, and players only have a certain amount of tries or lives per stage.

The tower modes could be combined to make some kind of special invasion.

Race mode: This could have 2 types, the sport (pvp) and the military (pve).
Players could have omniframes and/or vehicles for this type of mode, and make races between them like some kind of sport (with weapons enable or not) just for fun, bets…
In the pve mode, players need to survive traps and tsi-hu (with weapons enable or not) and reach a point to drop a “bomb package” do destroy a point of interest.

Personal Ships:
I hope that in the future players could have their own customizable spaceship (since appears that dropships only have the outside).
Players could customize their inside and outside with cosmetics and with useful things too, like airstrikes. Players could build and upgrade several kinds of airstrikes from bombs, laser, missiles… with high cooldowns, but personal ships airstrikes could give e.g. 1k damage to targets, while guild ship airstrikes give 10k damage and global ship airstrikes gives 100k damage.
In the future (several years after release) em8er could be the gatestriders HQ to launch reapers to other planets, hunt enshigi, space combat… so those ships could be very useful.

What do you think?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Firefall had some very good positives and the ideas are good i am looking forward to more ideas people can add and nice ideas :cool:

- Tutorial was really good and it was not boring
- The movement was very nice
- The environment too was stunning
- The voice acting and npc characters were interesting
- The music fits beautifully with the game
- The motorbikes were fun

A few ideas

Rescue:

In this game mode a target/targets were kidnapped and captured
perhaps they are split into 2 categories

Story and reaper
The difference in the 2 is story is more for the experience of the story/co-op
Reaper is for those who want an increase in challenge

E.g. Reaper Engineer was last seen at this spot [location]: Fire mountain

You are given small clues to discover once you locate enough from
clues on last sin tower location, broken weapon from engineer and drag marks that end
off a cliff

R = Reaper mode
S = story mode
H = Hell mode
1/2 = Indicates addition to the challenge

+ S1 = For those who want to explore and enjoy the story experience
+ S2 = The story has more twists the A.I could randomize locations and enemy type

+ R1 = Standard difficulty with an objective addition e.g. do not set alarm, or hack all systems before escaping etc
+ R2 = More dangers Rescue target must not be damaged

+ H1 = 2 restrictions added e.g. no guns, no abilities forces players to use melee
+ H2 = Enemies are boosted with faster movement, with the addition of realism damage taken could be more harsh.

Rescuing the individual gives you respect from the citizens of Sky tower they truly appreciate what you do and respect means better support from certain npc.

Mech out:

This mode involves all pilots having no mechs they are forced to survive without their mechs you may get directions to vehicles to introduce you to the various types.

An example you return the the base and the power cuts then you hear the alarm sound and an alert saying that the power will return in e.g. 1 -2 hours due to damage from an attack.

As pilots you are not as tanky but with numbers and support you are like little ants.

First thing you must upgrade the G suit to the G suit MK II, this would give you a bit more survivability
Second you use the vehicles to travel to hot zones to take power back

Then you are given things to do some encounters of stealth enemies appear and vanish inside the structure, during this time you are asked to keep the generators safe while hunting down the stealthy enemies that could still be inside

Npc's can turn on you especially those that take form these enemies are infiltrators you can find out sometimes by their odd movement or if your lucky when they phase.

Do you split up or do you stay together?

After this you learn about the stealth systems retrieved from the dead enemy this new found info improves your stealth system in 2 ways e.g

Opens up

1) Sound dampening tech tree
2) Effiency of Stealth mode tech tree

G-Race

In this mode you are introduced to various bikes the G Racers have seen something they like about you

Pilot are chosen to represent the black cats our new high tech Bike code named Panther
you will face other pilots and npc's if you manage to impress the black cats will give you a starter bike.

You are racing against others in the open world at times a boss could appear when this happens they can target the bikes that reduces the speed and control.

Your bike unlocks its weapon mode

Imagine something like this in open world

All racers are advised to destroy the boss otherwise renders the bikes useless and race is over!

Once the race finishes you are given a Rank from
A-D so there is no first or last its how well you did with

- Racing
- Evasive moment
- Hit Accuracy against boss

This gives a Rank e.g

Racing = B
Evasive = C
Hit accuracy = A

overall you have a Rank B

Ranks help to unlock more things on your chosen vehicle shop

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
Another suggestion for if quests on NPC’s will be implemented:
1-Please don’t do the thing of exclamation marks above heads of npc’s that many mmo’s do today when they have quests, it’s so off.
2-I remember that one mmo some years ago tried to do some kind of “auto-quest” where players could receive and deliver quests anywhere far away from the npc that gave that quest, but it didn’t work well since it was a fantasy mmo.
3-I remember the very old Legend of Zelda games where players need to talk with every npc and then many of them didn’t give quests directly, since they could say something like “I would like to see X”, and only if you have the X item when you talk again to him or use it near him activate the quest.
The 1 is the easiest way and some kind of frustrating sometimes, since it’s the too easy way, while the 3 could be interesting but if we have too many npc’s or the speech is too complicated could be hard, maybe too hard.
So, I suggest something between in terms of difficulty but at the same time something that make sense in that universe and in the RP.

Aug 5, 2017
UK
I liked how you would came across some quests/missions in FF (also in some other mmorpgs/fps) - You could be 'whizzing' around on your hog, when suddenly...Your Sin/mini map would show an icon/legend of a current or vacant quest you could enter. As you approached close enough, the quest/mission details was displayed and activation would be when you/grp entered the cave/mine/area (etc.) - Once completed, all rewards/Xp/scripts and a sense of 'Heroism' was handled at the location - - - no running back and forth! I do get annoyed with that (olde-worlde) time sinkhole.
But, you could also have static quest/mission givers to...for those who like all that 'gaddi-ing back 'n forth-ing' *spits into his spi'toon*

(1) An idea for Sin Towers - players can build them when a new area is reconned or 'settled' - also, if they are to close to enemy areas, they have to be manned until that area has been secured ?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Another suggestion for if quests on NPC’s will be implemented:
1-Please don’t do the thing of exclamation marks above heads of npc’s that many mmo’s do today when they have quests, it’s so off.
2-I remember that one mmo some years ago tried to do some kind of “auto-quest” where players could receive and deliver quests anywhere far away from the npc that gave that quest, but it didn’t work well since it was a fantasy mmo.
3-I remember the very old Legend of Zelda games where players need to talk with every npc and then many of them didn’t give quests directly, since they could say something like “I would like to see X”, and only if you have the X item when you talk again to him or use it near him activate the quest.
The 1 is the easiest way and some kind of frustrating sometimes, since it’s the too easy way, while the 3 could be interesting but if we have too many npc’s or the speech is too complicated could be hard, maybe too hard.
So, I suggest something between in terms of difficulty but at the same time something that make sense in that universe and in the RP.

I have to agree with Markolis, and yes those exclamation marks are a bit over used.
Lets just say you wanted to look back at all the quests you have done so we access the data our A.I tells us this is all the info stored in the data base.

E.g.

Quest - 10/34
Area - Fish City
Achievement - 30/85

Repeatable Quest could have a recycle sign perhaps and the colour indicates if it can be done again
e.g. red means unavailable and green means can participate in the quest maybe it has a timer if it is one of those special events that are big and happen once or twice a day hmm
1561886978922.jpeg

Undiscovered quests... well they just have to be discovered by exploring!

Completed quests guess a nice tick is good just like when you have a check list and have done it
or even a big thumbs up...prefer thumbs up but tick is nice too :D
1561887268482.jpeg

Quests mid way or not completed guess they would be an orange colour i like to use the traffic light colours red for not done or not unavailable, orange for participated but not completed and green for completed

(1) An idea for Sin Towers - players can build them when a new area is reconned or 'settled' - also, if they are to close to enemy areas, they have to be manned until that area has been secured ?
I like to add to this idea what if we could obtain the use of sin towers that are hidden using jammers/stealth generators if its hacked first and does not alert the enemy but this effect only lasts lets say 5mins. Once the timer is run out the baddies will retake the enemy sim but during that 5mins you have some good intelligence gathering to inform team mates

Not all sin towers are going to be as easy to spot or capture i feel some sneaky ninja recon could be needed!

Kyuubi

Sep 21, 2019
Also how thumper worked changed a few times, for me the most fun was the time when you got resources in different qualities and the item you crafted got better with high quality resources.

The worst thing was when you got only one resource in Copa firefall kinda died for me at this point.

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
I loved how missions would take you into Chosen strong holds, or caves. I loved going into a building that was well laid out and having to complete task while fighting off the chosen. Hopefully we can see the same kind of situations in Em8er making use of our male and female characters gear, outside our Mechs. The way I visualize it is that we except a mission. We get to the location but our Mechs are to big to fit inside the entrance. So we hop out our Mechs and can either choose to send them back to our ships or leave them there. Pros and cons to either decision. We enter the location and fight off enemies while completing task. Or failing. Loved going into a well designed cave full of chosen and lighting the place up. Especially the bounty hunting missions. That was so great!

Jan 27, 2017
cz
Also how thumper worked changed a few times, for me the most fun was the time when you got resources in different qualities and the item you crafted got better with high quality resources.

The worst thing was when you got only one resource in Copa firefall kinda died for me at this point.
That's because you were a noob my friend :) NHF!!
But I'm glad you mentioned thumping because this was for me aswell the best part of the game (this and flying).

So I spent like 30 or 60 days playing Firefall (can't remember any more, may be even more) and most of my time I spent hunting for resources. I spent a lot of time outside the game itself looking for shards or instances with best possible resources (tracked via FF addons) and then when something popped up, I'd rush and try to find this before others (alot of people did this). Also this was a big team effort. Old FF veterans will know what I'm talking about.

SO this kind of rush combined with possibility of free flight and rapid movement really gave me enjoyment, something no other game before or after ever gave me... Please devs, take note of this, and make the search for best mats fun and enjoyable (don't just overlook this aspect of the game)!

Nothing better than fireing up FF before work and do couple of solo P3 thumps near Copa with my engi for some blue Copper or something, while drinking my first coffee of the day.... Ah, memories.. :)

Peace everybody