Extra Credit Firefall Special Videos: Stuff to keep in mind

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Take notes people.

What people liked about Firefall's original concept(they talk about F2P so idk)

"Staged Content"

The biggest selling point but the greatest danger of Firefall's idea

The next one is about the story so I'm not sure how relevant it is, but two notes: vibrant color palettes=good. The story is surrounded by mystery and leaves the players with a lot of questions(Can we push through the melding? what was on the other side of the arclight portal? Are there other surviving areas?)

Dynamic Events

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Since those videos were put out in 2013, a time when certain departures from Grummz original vision were happening, there is a certain amount of uncertainty on how accurately these videos represent the original concept of firefall.

Perhaps Grummz will shed some light on that if and when he has the time.

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I really dislike EC
Squeaking annoying voice, unfunny memes and the worst of all is how they think James is Jesus or something
These three videos say nothing, they just repeat the same point over and over "firefall is doing something risky, but will be awesome if it works"
Yeah too bad firefall became a wow clone in the end which is worse than failing.

Jul 26, 2016
Switzerland
darkcisum.com
I really dislike EC
These three videos say nothing, they just repeat the same point over and over "firefall is doing something risky, but will be awesome if it works"
I can see how Extra Credits' style can put some people off (there are many tastes in the world), however their videos contain a lot of good information (including the three Firefall videos). I find their style entertaining and the provided information is often very interesting and I would never find stuff like that out in such an entertaining fashion otherwise.
Plus I feel you get a bit too work up, just because the style is not to your linking.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Extra Credits is a godsend. If their 'style' doesn't appeal, push through it and develop a taste for it. There's ZERO excuse to ignore what they do; it's that important and that informative. They've shaped a fair portion of the way I think about games now and given me things to think about; that's worth a lot. Daniel's voice isn't really like that, btw; it's sped up for video length's sake. Getting over that is worth the info and perspective the channel offers, even if you think they put James Portnow on a pedestal. He DOES write the show, after all.

Still, it IS rather tragic looking back on these videos and seeing FF fall to precisely the fate we all feared. Hopefully, instead of dooming us to cynical skepticism and apathy, it'll spur us (and the Ember team) to learn that much more from the mistakes and pour that much more inspiration and pioneering spirit into the successor. Hopefully, instead of causing us all to just shrug and go "whatever, just gimme more purples," it's instead made us all say "No. That was not good enough; we can do more and we can do it better."

Aug 1, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I really dislike EC
Squeaking annoying voice, unfunny memes and the worst of all is how they think James is Jesus or something
Extra Credits are for gaming industry, what mainstream american comedians are for the US political scene. They just parrot the establishment ideology, only in a funny and charming way.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Extra Credits are for gaming industry, what mainstream american comedians are for the US political scene. They just parrot the establishment ideology, only in a funny and charming way.
I miss Jon Stewart. I mean sure he was a comedian, but he was a good source of political news with his style of comedy. He also went after both sides of the isle equally unless one side was throwing more stupid out then the other.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I don't care much about the videos cause that was a time long ago. All I want is what we had in the beta days. I don't even mind when it was released in steam with patch 1.3. To me that was good enough. All it needed was a few little tweaks and content. Not the drastic change the game went thru in 1.6.

Jul 26, 2016
Bla bla bla firefall bla bla bla
Lets put that game to rest for once.

Can we stop dragging up the past and move on?

Firefall is dead and Ember isnt Firefall.

DARKB1KE

Commander
Jul 27, 2016

The point is game design/concepts, not the specific game itself. Listen to the words of the videos and what they are talking about. It's about creating a dynamic online world that changes with player involvement. You just don't see this happening in games, not yet anyways. This is bigger than anything gaming can offer to players at the moment. If this happens it will be game-changing for the entire industry. This type of game would have so much meta-meta going on it's unreal to even think about.

Wraithbane

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016

Those that do not remember the past (and its mistakes...) are doomed to repeat it. I VERY much hope that the insights from the past are NOT forgotten, as we move forward to Ember.

Jul 26, 2016
Those that do not remember the past (and its mistakes...) are doomed to repeat it. I VERY much hope that the insights from the past are NOT forgotten, as we move forward to Ember.
Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We have to learn from Firefall in order to learn on to make Ember a better game.

Yes i agree but to mirror everyrhing from Ember to Firefall. Come on guys.

Almost every thread is a "you remember Firefall was great? Pepperridge farm remembers".

Its becoming old. Every request thread is just a copy past from Firefall

Aso there is no WE. We did not do anything wrong, we just played, testen and gave feedback.
The future Dev team will hopefully learned from Firefall and even that will be debatable.
Why? Because I will garuantee that Embers development team wont be Red5.

It will a new team for 90% only Grummz and some other guys will be connected with Firefalls development proces.
So they might have learned a thing or two but with this game the same or other problems will arise. Since every project is a different one.

Last edited:

DARKB1KE

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
That's because there isn't any other solid information to discuss about Ember until the project pushes further officially. Remember it's still in PLANNING phase and will be for quite a while.I think the next step is 3D models of some thumper mechs, so then people can talk about that subject for a while.

I don't see YOU contributing in any way, just always being negative. So if there's something you want to talk about, go right ahead.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
Yes i agree but to mirror everyrhing from Ember to Firefall. Come on guys.

Almost every thread is a "you remember Firefall was great? Pepperridge farm remembers".

Aso there is no WE. We did not do anything wrong, we just played, testen and gave feedback.
The future Dev team will hopefully learned from Firefall and even that will be debatable.
Why? Because I will garuantee that Embers development team wont be Red5.

It will a new team for 90% only Grummz and some other guys will be connected with Firefalls development proces.
So they might have learned a thing or two but with this game the same or other problems will arise. Since every project is a different one.
I'm sure I speak for the guys you are talking about when I say, sorry man, we keep asking for those things cause, the game was that good. As for we were not the ones that ruined it I agree to some degree. Cause, I do remember a lot of people being ok with what was going on in that test server before 1.6 was released. I never went there. I always blamed that test server for taking some of the players away from the actual game emptying it. I should've gone. If I would've seen what they did I would've said, hell no! I did blame those people for not saying anything negative about patch 1.6. I remember going back and forth with this guy who knew about this changes and played in the server and said nothing against it in the forums. None of those testers did. AT least I don't remember not one opening a thread about how bad it was going to get. So, I think some of us are a little to blame for not speaking up. I blame my self for not testing that garbage before it got out.

Jul 26, 2016
I'm sure I speak for the guys you are talking about when I say, sorry man, we keep asking for those things cause, the game was that good. As for we were not the ones that ruined it I agree to some degree. Cause, I do remember a lot of people being ok with what was going on in that test server before 1.6 was released. I never went there. I always blamed that test server for taking some of the players away from the actual game emptying it. I should've gone. If I would've seen what they did I would've said, hell no! I did blame those people for not saying anything negative about patch 1.6. I remember going back and forth with this guy who knew about this changes and played in the server and said nothing against it in the forums. None of those testers did. AT least I don't remember not one opening a thread about how bad it was going to get. So, I think some of us are a little to blame for not speaking up. I blame my self for not testing that garbage before it got out.

If you still believe we as players had control over the big game mechanics around that time you need to wake up. The9 was already calling the shots back then.
That is the only learning experience for ember. Maintain creative control.
Which Grummz said he will try to hold by not taking the role of manager/president and stay close to the developers.