Enemy scaling

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
meh, no prob mate. But toxic bolts are still not too unlikely xD i want my bio injector!!! it was teh perfect healer weapon :3
pinpoint accuracy, so you had to aim pretty good, low mag capacity, and insta poisoning xD#

and no, it was no elemental weapon (no prefix) that was the nice thing of the bio injector
Hmmm, bio injector is surely a toxic weapon. I've made a thread where I classified weapons and I classified it as a vampiric/healing weapon. It deals bio instead of toxic damage and shooting an enemy steals his hp and gives it to you in some percentage :)

Hmmm, bio injector is surely a toxic weapon. I've made a thread where I classified weapons and I classified it as a vampiric/healing weapon. It deals bio instead of toxic damage and shooting an enemy steals his hp and gives it to you in some percentage :)
would be kinda op 'cause it would turn my old biotech build into a huuuge motherfucking monster!
it was movement speed (perked, jump height perked too | speed core, ghostly triage) + poison (perked | bio injector, blinding poison trail, HKM) + a bit of healing (heal wave, HKM) that thing was a monster, even in pvp (i was lvl 20 and fought a plyer with lvl 40 frames in CF, yeh, he got scaled but he should still have won 'cause of teh equipment, modules etc. (he had also to change the frame 3 time to not die xD but then i got him, perhaps with the blinding poison trail xD cant remember properly anymore, its pretty long ago...))

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
Scaling by way of their having leadership introduced, and group tactics, would be a fantastic way to scale.

Yes, there is an opportunity for them to switch out to other weapon types and improvements just like players have. Yes there is an opportunity for miniboss-esque "harder/rarer" mobs, but AI changes or encounter-evolution would be amazing to play with.

Enemy getting sniped? Some run for cover, others try to charge, others try to flank. Enemy snipers learn, and they set up in response.

Enemy behind cover now taking mortar fire? Scatter.

I want to hear players with "okay guys, they're holed up there pretty well, I think we should.. hey wait, did they just call for air support?"

well, yep that would be amazing. When a small hunt would turn into a massive battle (also marked on the map)
And player have to take all their roles to win the fight (anti vehicles, healers, mortars, snipers, frontline tanks, fumigators (i hope you know what i mean), shocktroops. Everything is needed to win!
And then they take a tower at the other side of the map xD

really, asshole style... i wanna see that :D

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
you can still have rarer and stronger weapons in horizontal progression, no matter if it are prototype,s legendaries, or even weapons given from the story, there will be some weapons that are stronger and some that are weaker
That's literally vertical progression.

That's literally vertical progression.
meh, but only 1 weapon rarity is kinda boring D: wanna see all tha epic LOOT.
LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT
Kill me! The borderlands syndrome is coming!

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
I personally always liked how the mobs were set up in Mass Effect 3 for the co-op play. Different types of mobs required different units to deal with effectively though you could always slap together random guys to try to get though stages though it was always harder. Now granted ME3 co-op did have some weapon/power scaling and you could play on different ranks of difficulity but once into the match mobs were set in power levels which was nice.

Niryco

Jul 29, 2016
hmm, what would be cool is having enemy scaling based on lore possibly? Like we aren't just fighting a singular chosen army right? Maybe the chosen homeworld is a mass factions/houses or something like how we have many different countries and what not.

It is nice to fight the horde who seem to work as a whole but who each have their own individuality based on some form of country-like idea? it would open up to a varying list of horizontal progression without needing to create millions of radically different looking enemies, but to emphasize again please don't make them of a different colour but same attack pattern and what not.

Also behavioural algorithm although typical these days isn't very special, like the weaker units always horde the player and eventually the lesser number stronger ones start to horde players too(see warframe). Weaker units are only capable of super basic hitting attacks and almost all games resort to hands or short blades, please don't. I find the trend dull in some games like warframe but in others like destiny similar trends is equally not as dull. How come, well it guess it has to do with scaling of stats to never overpower enemies too much so the weak units always stay relevant. One such type of enemy that is amazingly fun to fight are hunters and scarabs, like not matter how many times you have seem them in all iterations of halo they never get boring, also intense fights and challenges and stay true even till this day.

To me fights can only scale well when percentages are involved, allowing everything to stay relevant despite enormous vertical gaps. Sometimes the best way to scale is also by story, meaning having an actual plot where we actually do encounter stronger enemies for a valid reason can be good scaling, if not it really feels like enemies are fodder when one zone has a bat that can take 250 points of damage and dish out 20 but in the next zone the very same bat can take 700 points of damage and dish out 100.

I think certain enemy types should be more resistant to the effect of AoE and should be more susceptible to damage from a direct hit. I am always utterly disgusted by frames that just show up spam AoE, their green goo, snot puddle, lake of fire and not just decimate, but completely wipe a group of enemies away, no matter what they are. After all, and area of effect shouldn't have the same damage and potency as a direct hit. With that said, mines and grenades are a different thing, as are the delayed explosives the juggernauts and elites fire. Those are good as is.

I heard some people, who got certain types of frames, with certain type of primary weapons that they're ineffective against a few enemies that aren't effected by AoE for some reason, so they're forced to use secondaries. Which is a good thing. Making them actually rely on aiming, for a change. And unsurprisingly, they immediately have difficulties. Heheh.

Also, I discovered, much to my disappointment, that right now, in Firefall, if you have an element to your weapon, the creatures that have that same element aren't more resistant to that damage type, you can kill any enemy, with any element, no matter what their element is. They still have elemental weaknesses, but no elemental resistance, as far as I can tell.

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I played Blade & Soul for a week or two a while back, that got boring so quickly for as soon as I 'leveled up' so did the enemies I fought and combat was repetitive and boring. Having a large crab like creature in one area being splatted with one shot from a futuristic plasma weapon, then that same exact creature in a different area taking five shots to kill just becomes ridiculous.

Rather change those enemies completely into something to match being a tougher, more lethal opponent. Have them require different ways to eliminate them not just require more bullets. A foot soldier in zone A shouldn't be weaker than the same foot soldier in zone B but visiting zone B means you start to get more armoured soldiers popping up to support those weaker foot soldiers, etc.

I know this requires more imagination and programming than taking the easy option to just buff up some figures on the same enemy NPC type but bullet sponges only lead to the things we need to avoid, liked level restricted content and gear chasing, all the vertical progression pitfalls MMOs tend to fall into.

So, if I go on a tougher mission, I want tougher types of enemies, not just the same old ones with their stats adjusted. Alternatively, you can make a mission/event tougher using the same enemy types without buffing their stats by having more of them at one time - very weak enemies start to become a threat when in a large swarm. The options are there, don't go down the same tired old, worn out road of most MMOs.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
I like the notion that, the tougher the encounter, weaker mobs become less and less zerg-like. They panic, run for cover, move in groups, and can only come in force when they find a significant enemy weakness or are emboldened by one of their miniboss allies.

I like the notion that, the tougher the encounter, weaker mobs become less and less zerg-like. They panic, run for cover, move in groups, and can only come in force when they find a significant enemy weakness or are emboldened by one of their miniboss allies.
Said mini-bosses, lieutenants...etc. should give buffs to their weaker (and even their stronger) cohort. Like, better aim, more aggressive, faster attacks (both melee and ranged), more vicious. And when they're taken out, those buffs would disappear and mobs would become disorganized, their attributes either back to normal, or lower than normal.

I played Blade & Soul for a week or two a while back, that got boring so quickly for as soon as I 'leveled up' so did the enemies I fought and combat was repetitive and boring. Having a large crab like creature in one area being splatted with one shot from a futuristic plasma weapon, then that same exact creature in a different area taking five shots to kill just becomes ridiculous.
There could even be mutated forms of enemies. The effects or even the equipment of another faction they have allied with or have been corrupted by. Could translate to both humanoid enemies and creatures.

If the players can be a mixed bag, then enemies could be, as well. So one may be constantly surprised, or be forced to adjust to a different approach, even if only slightly different.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
I also like the idea of procedurally-generated encounters being based on earlier ones. Player abilities, weapons, etc.. the effectivenesses of the players are anticipated by the new spawn.

Players come in with a lot of lasers, enemies respawn tending toward deflection. Players effective with explosions, enemies train for mobility. Players tanky, enemies zergy.

I would also like to see a player dominate an encounter, and the following encounters notice their return and go "oh shit, it's Zeus, go get Zug The Terrible".

Jul 27, 2016
One of the brainstorming sessions we had while in the Discord (and I can make a separate thread on it too, it regarded persistent universe expansion and planet tiering) touched into how you can create flat horizontal progression that was also meaningful, and the answer lies within your arsenal.

Not the Firefall frame (RIP), but rather your collection of equipment. Start off with a base Omniframe and a few weapon variants, and from there you create modifications, you specialize into different areas of combat and utility for maximum efficacy in a desired environment.
You could create a highly mobile loadout that utilizes a lightweight frame and powerful jumpjets, with an assault rifle or shotgun tuned for high rate of fire and consequently short magazine, allowing you to engage, do damage, and disengage quickly.
You could also design another frame loadout to use a sniper rifle tuned for distance, a stealth module, etc. Same flat numbers for all weapons, nothing but horizontal fine tuning, which would become more extreme as the player gained experience and better resources.

Tuning alone doesn't create the standard feeling of progression, however, so among things like visual frame upgrades as your pilot experience increases, we can introduce environmental hazards.

More dangerous and therefore more rewarding planets could have hazards associated with them, making it impossible for untuned frames to visit and establish terraforming colonies. A planet could have an unbreathable atmosphere, requiring pilots to build contained environmental suits (low barrier of entry). Another planet could have a crushing gravitational pull, requiring a powerful frame gravity system (high barrier of entry). These environmental countermeasures could additionally place constraints on the pilot. A frame that becomes more massive due to attached radiation shielding could weigh the player down more, and ECM (Environmental Countermeasures) that pull a lot of energy, such as the gravity ECM, could lower player energy. If you've played Path of Exile, consider these to be negative map modifiers, but planet-wide. And, these planets would have much better loot available to players who take the time to put together properly tuned rigs.

You can accomplish a lot with just horizontal progression, you do not need traditional MMO item tiering or ilevels. You can do material tiers, which would allow for better tuning (further extremes), but that, in my opinion, would be plenty.

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
This is pretty much what I have been saying since Firefall was in beta.
:D

(Also to point out that it isn't just enviornmental stuff you can do, designing AI and encounters to specifically need specialization can also work in conjunction with environmental issues. It also would be cool to run into area's/encounters that required a team of specialized players to navigate as well.)

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
I was just thinking about some of the cool visual effects that some games are using on the HUD's like water spashes which if modified could make for a pretty impressive typhoon-ish envirornment or even stuff like the dust storms in Mass Effect 3 that severely limited vision. The skys kinda the limit when it comes to introducing new challenges to a horizontial progression system.