Enemies (literally) next door and power-leveling foolishness

Okay, the first issue is something that could be solved, depending on how they design the environment, lore and distances.

In FF, particularly at Trans Hub in Coral Forest, either Chosen or Bandits (depending on which faction the game feels like spawning) are massing, not only next door, but well within the perimeter of a god damn base. What the hell are they doing that close? Doesn't matter what type of mission spawns. Strife Bringers, Bomb, Data-Pad, it made no sense for them to be there, that close. The lore may say they're a constant threat, but the places they can just be at is just utterly ridiculous.

FireFall, still in beta, was my first MMO.

I remember the thing that kept me from playing MMOs up til only a few years ago, something that I also found immersion breaking in e.g.: TERA (even though I liked the combat), was the way groups of enemies are always lingering, literally standing around everywhere, way too near safe-zones, not doing anything. Yes, they only attack if a player does, or goes too close to them. But, it all looks so stupid. FireFall, at least, doesn't have that, but the way Field Missions and Jobs are often set up is dumb. The placement of mobs, objects and objectives looks ridiculous and breaks the feel of the environment. It's fine if some equipment or other thing looks out of place, as it is man-made, but just spawning barricades that are halfway off a bridge or having a group of hostiles just hang around and stand in a circle, smoking, 30 feet away from the walls of a base, is weird.

And if Ember won't have the usual, tried and true, missions/quests/jobs...etc., but will, indeed, go for something new and integrates activities in a way that they feel more immersive and more natural, then the placement of mobs and objects (taking into account how certain hostiles will be able to move, like the Ahranha, on walls, hanging from ceilings, utilizing every part of the environment) should also be in line with that.

This was the first problem. The second can be somewhat related.

Yesterday, I got tired of how many times I saw some power-leveling fool, several levels below the area's, not charging into some mission, but inching along with me, so that I'd do all the work, while they popped off a few ineffective shots, being entirely unhelpful and even a hindrance, once they were quickly downed, as expected. I went for cover, gone to local chat with "/l" and told them right away they shouldn't expect me to revive them, because they are fools for coming to areas above their level. And that they will learn. As I said, I developed a rep for being an ass, but I cannot and will not condone such foolishness. I was on the level and even I struggled, simply because of the number of enemies those missions kept spawning, before I could even finish the next group, in the next room, off. I mean seriously, not even Sertao or Devil's Tusk has spawns that high. Coral Forest is mental. And the last thing I need, is some lazy fool, who is trying to level faster by being an utter nuisance. I will most certainly not going to risk my life and the durability of my frame just to save their sorry hides.

However, this is something that I do not think can be prevented. Unless they blatantly erect barriers around every area that will only let players of a certain level through.

I mean, a thing I liked about TERA is that one could take on stronger enemies, that usually needed groups of people, either on the same level as the player or above them. And if they could dodge and weave, they could own them and get high XP for it, but that's not something that can be done in games like FireFall, where one will get hit, even if they're do their best not to be, and those hits will take one down, instantly, if they're several levels below their opponent.

I often see pairs of people, one high-level baby-sitting a low-level, as they take them through such missions, all buddy-up, to get around the leveling process, without effort from either parties. The high-level certainly doesn't have to worry about his own safety and the low-level doesn't care if they're lying on the ground for the umpteenth time in 5 minutes. People like this, besides having no shame (practically cheating their way up the ranks, without making an effort, as the game would have them), also have no dignity (either not caring one bit about constantly being a burden, or "lol"-ing between every death). It is only amusing to them. The only use I have for such fools, is Flatliner Bounties, but I never seem to get a daily 5 Flatliners, when one of these idiots is around.

I also saw comments from moderators, I think, that Ember will not necessarily have an experience-based leveling system. I don't know if that could/would completely eliminate the need or even the possibility to power-level. Hope it will.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
If resources are used to advance in unlocking crafting plans then there wont be power leveling as we wont have XP. Due to it being pointless. That being said, nothing stops people from doing that partnering while thumping. The big difference though is that both the vet and the newbie will have a similar power level. One just has a different setup compared to the other and some better modded gear.

But that is the ultimate goal, a players skill and preparation should determine how far out they can go. A newbie and vet gear wise will be on a similar enough playing field that skill, or general knowledge, is the biggest difference between them.

Jul 28, 2016
They beam in like in Star Trek...

One of the awesome things was to see those Chosen streaming in from the melding at Sunken Harbor watchtower in the good old days. Of course the Tanken just beamed in (ala Star Trek).