Deepstryke Demo FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS

What is your preference?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
So overall I was unimpressed. The movement is clunky; slow to respond like piloting a boat. It felt nothing like how I remember Firefall, because I can't imagine trying to jet up to lob down at enemies.

I have mechanics concepts to talk about once skimming and in-air dodging are put in, but for now the regular jump and jet mechanics I've tested need work.

Jul 27, 2016
So overall I was unimpressed. The movement is clunky; slow to respond like piloting a boat. It felt nothing like how I remember Firefall, because I can't imagine trying to jet up to lob down at enemies.

I have mechanics concepts to talk about once skimming and in-air dodging are put in, but for now the regular jump and jet mechanics I've tested need work.
Do keep in mind a lot of the 'smoothing' hasn't been done yet. We're talking just jetting, just walking. Transition animations and fine-tuning aren't in place yet.

Kassatsu

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Omni Ace
Jun 13, 2017
I'm sure the bugs have been posted before but I'll post my own experience here.

Gliding is nice. I'd love the ability to use your jets to be able to fly properly with the glider wings, though I'm aware skimming will be for long range mobility in the future. Movement is a tad unresponsive at times, particularly when transitioning from sprinting to running normally (or the other way around).

Right-clicking seems to enter this pseudo aim mode where your stance changes, you slow down to a walk and your body follows where you're looking more accurately. I'm assuming this is deliberate. My one issue with it is that it should not slow down your movement, or only slow down backpedalling and strafing slightly, with no change in forward speed. In a proper FPS where you're on foot this would make sense but we're in reasonably large powered suits, I see no reason to really slow down while aiming.

CTRL also seems to be a walk toggle. Don't see much of a point in it from a pure gameplay perspective but it's still a welcome feature and one I do not want to see removed.

Couple minor glitches I've found:

If you find a spot in terrain that has the right shape (generally an inverted pyramid type thing, if I'm not too lazy to fire it up again later I'll grab a screenshot or even a video of a place I've consistently done it in), the game will get confused and think you're falling/landing rapidly. If you deepstrike in such a situation and don't move horizontally, you'll get stuck in the fall animation until you use the ability again. You can use glider pads, sprint, jump, anything. The only thing that seems to reset the animation (correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume due to how the animation overrides are handled in the code) is performing another deepstrike.

Deepstriking on steep and uneven terrain can also transfer your descent into horizontal momentum and send you flying sideways. I assume this is not intentional in this build, though I'd love to see an ability that makes use of this potential in the future.

If you fall for more than a certain amount of time while deepstriking, you can activate the ability again. This doesn't seem to have any effect on it as you still can't cancel the ability and it just replays the starting animation and sound.

And finally, I'm sure this has been posted dozens of times by now, and I saw on the stream the developers are already aware of it, but I'll post it anyways: Hitting space while deepstriking does strange things that vary based on your timing, including launching you upwards, flying upwards slowly and allowing you to effectively extend the duration of it as long as you have fuel.

May 25, 2017
I noticed that some details (mostly on the rocks) won't show up unless you are really close to it, even with the view distance set to epic. So my suggestion here would be to separate the "View Distance" setting into several rendering distances (for players, details, enemies and so on) and maybe use a slider bar instead of predefined settings for it.

ChAzZ_NuT

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jan 22, 2017
Well at first I was skeptical, but after hours and hours... and hours of deep-striking and gliding like a parrot on crystal meth. I'd say that the demo was a great success! :oops:

Stuff which you've missed, but I'm willing to forgive you for;
.The implementation of a wider variety of flowers
.Oh my gosh, the lime green on the frames is absolutely HORRIBLE
.I feel all so mighty in my omniframe UNTILL I tap the space-bar,
more flexibility in the knee joints, please!
.Omniframes are supposed to be futuristic tech,
guys they don't even come with cup-holders installed.... WHAT ARE WE PAYING YOU FOR?!

All in all, I'm willing to forgive... and I give the deepstrike demo a 7/7.
Congratulations. *pops champagne cork and waves the bottle like a mad-man!*

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Quick notes:

1. Comparing the glide animation between builds -
a. Single player movement demo: The 'frame' of the Omniframe was rigid while gliding. The entire body seemed locked in place.
b. Multiplayer movement demo: The limbs of the frame seem to 'flutter', making them look like strips of paper attached to the torso of the omniframe. It almost gives the appearance of flimsiness.

Rather prefer the rigid pose, as this new animation doesn't really suit a frame of metal. Of course, I'm aware these may not be the final animation sets, but since they changed between builds, I thought I'd give my opinion.

2. The Deepstryke ability dive animation/speed feels too slow. it gives the impression of the frame being buffered from below as it hurtles towards impact, almost to the point where the actual impact feels like a soft landing. This takes away a lot of the 'oomph' from using the ability.

Other than the above, can't really complain. Playing from Dubai felt a lot smoother than I expected.

Early days and a long way to go, yes, but nice work so far. Keep up the great work, Em-8ER team

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
I am loving the new demo. I just wanted to throw out a quick idea. I was thinking it would be cool to have someplace to explore. I'm not sure how hard it would be to add additional land or an underground cavern or base to explore but I thought it would be cool to have something to discover and explore; another large island, maybe covered in ice, with an underground base. Let's see what this server can handle! ;-)

Would it be possible to implement Thumpers in the next demo? That could go along with the exploring aspect of it, to go out with a thumper and start mining.

Great job everyone! I'm very happy with the demo and love having a virtual place to hang out in again. :)

Morihaus

Deepscanner
Apr 30, 2018
Maryland
I love how the glider-pads work. My one complaint is you can only use the momentum given by your height and the initial momentum you gain on activating the glide. I like the idea of having a small amount of legitimate flight instead of relying on getting momentum from falling.

What I'd suggest, since gliding doesn't cost any fuel, is to allow using your jet-pack's fuel reserves to give you a boost. The fuel reserves themselves are pretty perfect for our frame's size in my opinion, but they aren't too big either, so this wouldn't be too much freedom of movement as to make kaiju fights easy. It'd also come with a bit of extra depth and skill to the game-play, since you'd have to plan out fuel management.

Careless players will get punished for not asking themselves questions, like "will I be in a fight when I land," "will I need my jet-pack to dodge attacks," "how much fuel should I conserve for the fight," and "will I have time to recharge my fuel before Tsi-Hu charge me?" It'd also reward more skillful players for asking those same questions and calculating the risks. Making glider-pads be more valuable, to both you and your fellow Reapers, would be an added bonus to encourage team-coordination as well. We'd be less willing to use a glider-pad (assuming they'd be consumable) and more likely to share our own with our team.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
There is a popout-in issue which I can reproduce. It is a line-of-sight issue.

By controlling my view alongside a plain, I can clip the base of objects and have the whole protrusion disappear.

Examples:

- Looking at a slope I can wave the camera view left/right and have the brown nodules pop out.
- Flattening the view almost alongside the ground, I can do the same to have one particular variety of flower do this.

I can reproduce this issue with both high and ultra settings.

This may or may not be related to the fact that there is popout when I point my camera straight down and hover up a little bit.

--

I've also seen rubber banding while walking/running, but not while gliding, which seems notable to me.

Sep 2, 2017
I would suggest some communication system (chat), a weapon, and something to shoot at it if possible on this stage of development, so people will keep connected, have fun and start building a player base for later in the game

May 25, 2017
I would suggest some communication system (chat), a weapon, and something to shoot at it if possible on this stage of development, so people will keep connected, have fun and start building a player base for later in the game
regarding chat, it probably won't happen soon because it is not compliant with the accessibility new laws in the US (Grummz talked about on the discord not so long ago). And if I'm not mistaken, the next demo should have weapons in it (needs to be confirmed by the dev).

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
We _really_ need to have a longer view distance for our nameplates, or some other way to know there are other players and how to find them. I would recommend just having a smaller island, also with more elevation at one end for testing distance gliding.

An obstacle course / intentionally-crafted terrain would also be useful for movement testing.

Aug 5, 2017
UK
I thought the stress test went very well (apart from the issues/bugs already mentioned) I was impressed - though I didn't take part...my twitch alarm failed me, the video was great to watch!
I have been on the server the day after and was with about 12 others and found it smooth (UK based).

Aug 3, 2016
France
Salut tout le monde,

Pour les nouveaux arrivants, ils se contentent de s'entrainer aux touches, a voler et a faire des sauts et visiter la carte.
Mais très vite sans possibiliter de communiquer on s'ennuie et on quitte.
un chat box (trés securisée pas de caracteres speciaux etc..) serait vraiment bien sans prendre grande ressources de votre coté.
Et en effet une arme et quelques ennemis simples pour s'amuser sans score juste pour le fun...
Rappelez vous !!! la petite musique qui annonçait que nous étions prêts d'un troupeau de petits robots avec quatres pâtes, sautant comme des chèvres de montagne et on récoltait pleins de cristaux en tirant dessus ...

Et concernant la mer, normalement, on ne devrait pas être capable de voler sous l’eau mais je me suis balladé et je trouve dommage que la faune soit aussi pauvres ;-) Pourquoi ne pas cacher une épave!!! L'épave du vieux vaisseau spatial que l'on verrait en transparence au fond de l'eau lors d'un survol de l'océan ;-)

Et meme pourquoi ne pas developper une map sous la mer ??? ou alors un moyen d'y nager et combatre d'autres ennemies???

Pour les ennemies, je pensais qu'il serait bien si on pouvait capturer des ennemies au lieu de les tuer et ainsi recuperer du materiel sur eux pour justement developper via la retro ingenerie d'autres possibilitées.
Selon le type d'ennemies on pourrait recuperer certain type de materiel etc...

Cordialement MJB.
Cordialement

Hi everyone,

Yep Please give a chat box
For newcomers, they just train to the keys, fly and jump and visit the map.
But very quickly without the possibility to communicate we are bored and we leave.
a cat box (very secure not special characters etc ..) would be really good without taking great resources on your side.
And indeed a weapon and some simple enemies to have fun without score just for fun ...
Remember !!! the little music that announced that we were ready with a herd of small robots with four pasta, jumping like mountain goats and we were harvesting full of crystals by shooting on them ...

And concerning the sea, normally, one should not be able to fly under the water but I wandered and I find it unfortunate that the fauna is so poor ;-) Why not hide a wreck !!! The wreck of the old spaceship that we would see in transparency at the bottom of the water during an overflight of the ocean ;-)

And even why not develop a map under the sea ??? or a way to swim there and fight against other enemies ???

For the enemies, I thought it would be nice if we could capture enemies instead of killing them and get some hardware back on them to develop other possibilities through retroengineering.
Depending on the type of enemy we could recover some type of material etc ...

Sincerely MJB.
cordially

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Yep Please give a chat box
Discord had a discussion about the current legal+budget concern of a chat box. Hopefully a more official statement can be made.

There is a Discord chat channel just for the demo, and alt-tabbing out to use it is the best we have right now. We began using Discord voice chat while testing, but that will become too crowded to be useful in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.