Cute, funny stuff spam. (No political stuff)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Jul 26, 2016

*shifty eyes* Wasn't me...
Yeah I know this was more of gag than something serious but... There is a lot of people trying to build a reliable version of this. A stable platform for the blade is hard when the pilot also needs to be aware of the drone's rotors which means you got keep the blade outside the rotors while also dealing with the CG problem that entails. The other problem is the angle of the cut. You also have to have the capability of changing the blade angle without needing to move the entire machine.

You also got the problem of when the blade gets stuck or jammed into a tree and how that affects the drone's flight.

I have seen a group working on using a hand-saw/table-saw blade instead.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Yeah I know this was more of gag than something serious but... There is a lot of people trying to build a reliable version of this. A stable platform for the blade is hard when the pilot also needs to be aware of the drone's rotors which means you got keep the blade outside the rotors while also dealing with the CG problem that entails. The other problem is the angle of the cut. You also have to have the capability of changing the blade angle without needing to move the entire machine.

You also got the problem of when the blade gets stuck or jammed into a tree and how that affects the drone's flight.

I have seen a group working on using a hand-saw/table-saw blade instead.
It's fun to now the serious side of it too, it was mostly a gag for Finns like myself ^^
Now to post something cute or funny...
Ah!

I just had to do a star wars related pun i just had to...

ble003

Commander
Aug 7, 2016
wonder if it'd work to have the saw and a clamp on an arm. get rid of branches near the place you want to saw with a chain-naginata or a drone with sharp exposed metal propellers, then the saw-drone flies up, extends the arm and clamps it around the tree. then a rotary saw extends into the space within the clamp. because the saw is on the side of the drone, the tree will topple away from it.
orange: labels
white: thing
black =: because excess " " are removed

carrying arm=servo====arm
=\======== /______/_
=\=======/=0]=/==\==\
========[ = ]=0===} [=] -clamp on piston
========
\= ]=/\=_/ \
=========== /= \== \
=========motor=\==sawblade (extended, mounted below or above clamps).
=========on===fixed clamp
=========piston

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
wonder if it'd work to have the saw and a clamp on an arm. get rid of branches near the place you want to saw with a chain-naginata or a drone with sharp exposed metal propellers, then the saw-drone flies up, extends the arm and clamps it around the tree. then a rotary saw extends into the space within the clamp. because the saw is on the side of the drone, the tree will topple away from it.

=\======== /______/_
=\=======/=0]=/==\==\
========
\= ]=/\=_/ \
=========== /= \== \
=========piston
very confusing for me but i like it!

Jul 26, 2016

=\======== /______/_
=\=======/=0]=/==\==\
========
\= ]=/\=_/ \
=========== /= \== \
=========piston
Can't use metal propellers on living branches. Props tend to grind or bash living things rather than slice things. Don't think of living trees like the dead pieces of lumber you can buy at a hardware store, or firewood. Living wood versus dead wood acts differently.

I have seen a drone with clamp + saw. The problem is that branches or tree trunks tend to fall in unpredictable fashion the higher up in the air that you are cutting. It's the reason why people in the profession ties up the wood they are cutting so a guide on the ground can get it down in a predictable manner.

You also need a clamp to release extremely fast to make that work (There is bunch of high pressure valves that could help there but that increases the weight of the drone which decreases flight time.) You don't want the cut piece of wood to get caught in the clamp as it's opening which would be harmful to a drone's flight.

I was talking about this with a crew that was removing the trees at my workplace. They talked about a presentation where multiple drones were used to do the job. Problem was the time it took and the expense of each drone and it's upkeep cost make the idea ludicrous to them. The idea behind it is sound, it just impracticable at this point.

Last edited: