Budget gaming laptop

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Umm I think it's a coffee lake i5. Or I might be not understanding what a K i5 is...
What Wyntyr said. K version allow it to be overclocked despite the boost; at higher performance. I wouldn't say it is necessary though because it's a laptop.

For desktop PCs, the heatsink (radiator) dispensers the head from the processor. Upgrading the heatsink will allow more heat to be dispensed (Fan and/or liquid cooling) at higher rates keeping a cooler CPU.

But for laptops removing the heat is harder and we'll, not orthodox to upgrade them, and not sure if you can. It also voids your warranty and takes time to make it the right power ratio etc. Lol

Good choice with the 1060, it's great value and for a laptop.

Also, don't forget to change the Power settings when you want to play games to Performance/gaming mode.
The Power saver bottlenecks the performance really hard

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
Sorry about that. For example, is it an I5 8600 or I5 8600K? The K means that the processor can be overclocked. I ask because you may be able to get a little more performance from your system without messing the thermals up and having your laptop slow down. Not just with the processor though, as you can up your RAM speed (which i would recommend even if you don't OC the processor and graphics card), and graphics card.
It's an i5 8300H
No K, what does the H stand for?
Mike

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
As an fyi, usually manufacturers set the default RAM speed at 2133 MHz (the RAM your laptop has is probably 2400 MHz) so my immediate recommendation would be to go into the bios, if possible, and change that setting. You could also grab Afterburner and OC your 1060 but I would only adjust it slightly being that the thermals for the system will go up and you won't want that to be too much.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
So I was hoping for some feedback about a budget laptop I'm thinking of buying from a friend. Its in mint condition. Also I am money strapped so he's giving it to me for $450. Thanks

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Gaming Laptop
CPU: i7-6700HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 960M
Storage: 120GB M.2 SSD (OS) & 1TB HDD (Data)

1920x1080 resolution

3 x USB 3.0 ports
1 Card Reader slot
1 HDMI output port
1 Ethernet port
I would build a gaming desktop pc instead. don't be afraid it's a lot of fun. you'll safe a lot of money and that way you'll be able to put exactly the brand you like. Cause this laptops get hot and they will never ever perform like a desktop. A mobile i7 aint the same as a desktop i7 no matter if it's the same model. Same with the video cards. A 1080 or 1070 mobile is not even close to a true 1080 or 1070 desktop. Just saying

Oct 29, 2016
So.. uhh.. instead of making new post, I'm just gonna ask here, what do you guys think about Asus FX504GD?
CPU : Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2 GHz (9M Cache, up to 4.1GHz)
RAM : 1x 4GB DDR4 ( 2 Slot RAM)
Hardisk : 1TB HDD + Slot SSD M.2 (has no SSD, only the slot, i think)
Layar : 15.6 Inch FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 178o wide-view display
VGA : Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
Input/Output : 1x combo audio jack, 2x USB 3.0 ports Type A, 1x USB 2.0 port Type A, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack, 1x HDMI, multi-format card reader (SD/SDHC)
Kamera : Built-in HD web camera
Konektivitas : 802.11AC+ Bluetooth v4.1
Audio : Built-in Stereo 3.5 W Speakers And Microphone
Keyboard : Illuminated chiclet keyboard, specially designed WASD keys
Baterai : 3 Cells Battery
Sistem Operasi : DOS
The choice in my country is limited, although if there is other, there's no harm to look for it.

Edit : And it cost about 896 USD (converted from my currency)

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
So.. uhh.. instead of making new post, I'm just gonna ask here, what do you guys think about Asus FX504GD?
CPU : Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2 GHz (9M Cache, up to 4.1GHz)
RAM : 1x 4GB DDR4 ( 2 Slot RAM)
Hardisk : 1TB HDD + Slot SSD M.2 (has no SSD, only the slot, i think)
Layar : 15.6 Inch FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 178o wide-view display
VGA : Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
Input/Output : 1x combo audio jack, 2x USB 3.0 ports Type A, 1x USB 2.0 port Type A, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack, 1x HDMI, multi-format card reader (SD/SDHC)
Kamera : Built-in HD web camera
Konektivitas : 802.11AC+ Bluetooth v4.1
Audio : Built-in Stereo 3.5 W Speakers And Microphone
Keyboard : Illuminated chiclet keyboard, specially designed WASD keys
Baterai : 3 Cells Battery
Sistem Operasi : DOS
The choice in my country is limited, although if there is other, there's no harm to look for it.

Edit : And it cost about 896 USD (converted from my currency)
What are you going to be using the laptop for (gaming, streaming, editing vids, just plain surfing the web, etc)?

Oct 29, 2016
What are you going to be using the laptop for (gaming, streaming, editing vids, just plain surfing the web, etc)?
Mostly for my college, i just finished the AI class and next semester i'm gonna be taking Machine Learning, distribution system thingy (don't know what that is, but i'm taking it anyway), algorithm design and analysis, and gaming to the side. My current computer have a hard time running multiple computer simulation, and my brain's fried with all the deadline.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Also, don't forget to change the Power settings when you want to play games to Performance/gaming mode.
While I can second this, I must also warn that this will cook your laptop. I would recommend raising it up on some platform, maybe one with fans, and using an external keyboard and mouse if the temperature bothers you.

Having said that, do game testing before and after, and tweak settings. You may find value in doing a balance between settings, performance and temperature.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Mostly for my college, i just finished the AI class and next semester i'm gonna be taking Machine Learning, distribution system thingy (don't know what that is, but i'm taking it anyway), algorithm design and analysis, and gaming to the side. My current computer have a hard time running multiple computer simulation, and my brain's fried with all the deadline.
I would recommend all of the following in no particular order mostly base on price difference and/or convenience:

1. Start with 8 GB RAM instead of 4 (either already in the laptop or buying another 4 GB to add in right at the get go).
2. See if you can get a 1050 Ti or better graphics card.
3. See about a laptop that has an SSD (240+ GB minimum) already installed that way you won't have to clone the laptop's HDD onto an added SSD.

Oct 29, 2016
I would recommend all of the following in no particular order mostly base on price difference and/or convenience:

1. Start with 8 GB RAM instead of 4 (either already in the laptop or buying another 4 GB to add in right at the get go).
2. See if you can get a 1050 Ti or better graphics card.
3. See about a laptop that has an SSD (240+ GB minimum) already installed that way you won't have to clone the laptop's HDD onto an added SSD.
I searched for the one that has Ti in it, sadly, i can't buy that, it's too expensive. There's one that has the same price tag, but it's I7-7700HQ , 15,6" FHD, 1050 Ti 2GB (Lenovo Legion Y520)
And then there's also Acer Nitro 5, that has the same spec, same price but it has 8 gb ram and it comes with windows 10, but then the town near it just got hit by a tsunami, so i don't know the availability yet.
Although, I could maybe scrounge up abit more money to buy a piece of that 8gb ddr4 2666 sodimm with brand that is unknown to me or buy the 4gigs.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
could maybe scrounge up abit more money to buy
Usually i like to save up abit more to get something good and asking alot since i have not much clue on these technical stuff. Then if there is a good sale grab it and should be pleased. Saying that restriaining from impulse buying can be tough sometimes, when its right in front of you ! Though i am sure you'll get the stuff you want i have had a laptop and well... i prefer my desktop but if you want to take it around alot guess the laptop it is and saves some space.

Oct 29, 2016
Usually i like to save up abit more
I don't actually have impulse to buy something so quickly, but it's just that my laptop has been going on for years and i actually needed something new, and my research on 'what to buy' has been going on so long that i always decided 'eh, i'll just take a look another year'.
Also, my desktop blew up, literally. Some component in the motherboard fried and buying said motherboard that is compatible with my i3 3rd gen is hard. God, why does intel always have to use different socket?. Compelled to buy Ryzen 7 instead for the desktop, but that can wait.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I searched for the one that has Ti in it, sadly, i can't buy that, it's too expensive. There's one that has the same price tag, but it's I7-7700HQ , 15,6" FHD, 1050 Ti 2GB (Lenovo Legion Y520)
And then there's also Acer Nitro 5, that has the same spec, same price but it has 8 gb ram and it comes with windows 10, but then the town near it just got hit by a tsunami, so i don't know the availability yet.
Although, I could maybe scrounge up abit more money to buy a piece of that 8gb ddr4 2666 sodimm with brand that is unknown to me or buy the 4gigs.
I'm not too up to date regarding laptop upgrading with graphics cards so I'd recommend getting that initial laptop, add 4 GB of Ram, and then save for the SSD and graphics card if the card can be swapped out.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
i actually needed something new, and my research on 'what to buy' has been going on so long that i always decided 'eh, i'll just take a look another year'.
This i know very well :D my cousin had to help me fix my computer otherwise it would be many parts just laying around. Hope you decide to get what you are after and then can play gamesssssssss

Oct 29, 2016
Aaaand i got Dell G3 15 3579 I7-8750H with 1050Ti, since I've read about TUF having power throttle and a crap cooling so that's a no go, and then I barely have wide choice either, venturing to another cities just to find something that isn't TUF. Most people here are ASUS fanboy, i tell ya. Can't get the ROG version either.

Turns out local computer shop that is quite close to my family got some serious business about computer hardware and gave me a 900 USD (converted) for that and suddenly it's in front of my face.

The downside would be no SSD, and 4 gigs RAM with 19 CL (what kind of RAM with 2666MHz has 19CL? I though that thing didn't exist above 16CL)

Full Spec