Budget gaming laptop

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Umm I think it's a coffee lake i5. Or I might be not understanding what a K i5 is...
What Wyntyr said. K version allow it to be overclocked despite the boost; at higher performance. I wouldn't say it is necessary though because it's a laptop.

For desktop PCs, the heatsink (radiator) dispensers the head from the processor. Upgrading the heatsink will allow more heat to be dispensed (Fan and/or liquid cooling) at higher rates keeping a cooler CPU.

But for laptops removing the heat is harder and we'll, not orthodox to upgrade them, and not sure if you can. It also voids your warranty and takes time to make it the right power ratio etc. Lol

Good choice with the 1060, it's great value and for a laptop.

Also, don't forget to change the Power settings when you want to play games to Performance/gaming mode.
The Power saver bottlenecks the performance really hard

PartTimeJedi

Omega Founder
Nov 13, 2018
Sorry about that. For example, is it an I5 8600 or I5 8600K? The K means that the processor can be overclocked. I ask because you may be able to get a little more performance from your system without messing the thermals up and having your laptop slow down. Not just with the processor though, as you can up your RAM speed (which i would recommend even if you don't OC the processor and graphics card), and graphics card.
It's an i5 8300H
No K, what does the H stand for?
Mike

Wyntyr

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
As an fyi, usually manufacturers set the default RAM speed at 2133 MHz (the RAM your laptop has is probably 2400 MHz) so my immediate recommendation would be to go into the bios, if possible, and change that setting. You could also grab Afterburner and OC your 1060 but I would only adjust it slightly being that the thermals for the system will go up and you won't want that to be too much.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
So I was hoping for some feedback about a budget laptop I'm thinking of buying from a friend. Its in mint condition. Also I am money strapped so he's giving it to me for $450. Thanks

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Gaming Laptop
CPU: i7-6700HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 960M
Storage: 120GB M.2 SSD (OS) & 1TB HDD (Data)

1920x1080 resolution

3 x USB 3.0 ports
1 Card Reader slot
1 HDMI output port
1 Ethernet port
I would build a gaming desktop pc instead. don't be afraid it's a lot of fun. you'll safe a lot of money and that way you'll be able to put exactly the brand you like. Cause this laptops get hot and they will never ever perform like a desktop. A mobile i7 aint the same as a desktop i7 no matter if it's the same model. Same with the video cards. A 1080 or 1070 mobile is not even close to a true 1080 or 1070 desktop. Just saying