Another thing that made FireFall (perhaps) unique

imo jump jets need to feel special AND valuable. FF 1.6 jump jets did not feel special or valuable because jets were required for everything. Ultimately if you weren't floating around you had a higher chance of getting shot by pvp and pve.

Retrospective to Closed Beta of FF; gameplay was unique due to the limitations of jump jets. Jump jets were a strategic maneuver with value. Jump jet fuel was not a totally unlimited resource and people had to spend their jet fuel wisely as it tied into their frame special abilities and maneuverability. Players had to decide if they wanted to risk spending their fuel to scale a building or instead save it to hurdle barriers inside the building. Combat was not only a strategy of placement but of resource management. Because people were more grounded to preserve jet fuel a 'cover system' was available allowing people could duck behind crates. The cover system worked because the opponent could not always gain vertical line-of-sight. By giving people near unlimited jet strength in beyond Closed Beta FF the 'take cover' mechanic was tarnished almost entirely, vertical platform control was eradicated (advantage of controlling a rooftop in OCT pvp), and so was jet resource management.

If Ember is trying to 'clone' FF gameplay it needs to make sure jump jets feel special AND have manageable value. Allowing unlimited jump jets will remove nearly all forms of 'take cover' mechanics and turn combat into a battle of constant floating bodies instead of a ground troops vying for position. Gameplay will be more valuable if the resources available are valuable to the player's strategic use.
Also, make the boosters customizable, so one can tune their jets for shorter, but stronger burst...or slower, longer burns and everything in between, for either rapid movement or to hover and rain down on the target. Keep jet energy recharge a thing and make certain frame parts be able to boost either the pool or its recharge rate.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
The AI is completely retarded. All that strafing while facing me and hitting me a lot more often than they should. Don't want to see that, again. Need smarter AI. A little realism wouldn't hurt either. In both movement and perhaps even weapon-handling and ballistics.
You should have seen the original CBT Chosen.

Fast projectiles, little to no spread, high rate of fire, almost no clip. They could snipe a player out of the sky at 2km. They also had a tendency to spawn in rocks which made them invincible...

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
If Ember is trying to 'clone' FF gameplay it needs to make sure jump jets feel special AND have manageable value. Allowing unlimited jump jets will remove nearly all forms of 'take cover' mechanics and turn combat into a battle of constant floating bodies instead of a ground troops vying for position. Gameplay will be more valuable if the resources available are valuable to the player's strategic use.
You don't have to make boosting sparing. As it stands, primarily vertical thrust is kinda dull for vets and frustrating for newbies. Converting to a system based more on horizontal, directional and momentum based boosting would also work. Maybe have rapidly regenerating fuel unless you run out entirely (little bit of a timing aspect with a clear "fail state") and have the boost be further adjusted with knock back effects (like explosives) so instead of floating onto the sky you have to gain altitude more slowly while having superior juking and travel capability and your direction can be adjusted with a little application of high power explosives. People stay near the ground, vertical travel is still possible but has more of a cost, and you have a nice little skill curve. You can also have your aim disrupted by enemy fire if you're not careful. Win-win?

You don't have to make boosting sparing. As it stands, primarily vertical thrust is kinda dull for vets and frustrating for newbies. Converting to a system based more on horizontal, directional and momentum based boosting would also work. Maybe have rapidly regenerating fuel unless you run out entirely (little bit of a timing aspect with a clear "fail state") and have the boost be further adjusted with knock back effects (like explosives) so instead of floating onto the sky you have to gain altitude more slowly while having superior juking and travel capability and your direction can be adjusted with a little application of high power explosives. People stay near the ground, vertical travel is still possible but has more of a cost, and you have a nice little skill curve. You can also have your aim disrupted by enemy fire if you're not careful. Win-win?
A whole damn skill tree could be built around that...horizontal/side-grade expansion into it.

Dark

Veteran
Jul 26, 2016
Biggest problem for me, as others have said, is while I could jump jet around like a ninja the AI didn't. I would like to see AI that can jump around also.

Biggest problem for me, as others have said, is while I could jump jet around like a ninja the AI didn't. I would like to see AI that can jump around also.
Yes. I made a post saying the same. That we need more enemies that behave as the player does. They could be elites, or even more common foot-soldier type enemies, but give the player a little trouble.