Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Is there a way for the community to see the leading names overall and/or from each poll?
We are keeping that under wraps. I wouldn't want folks thinking they are throwing away their vote if they don't pick from a small group of front runners. That kind of thing can stop potential upsets from actually happening.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
We do need another poll. Sorry Ronyn but this one's flawed.
Please elaborate. I cannot improve it if I do not know the problems.

BTW Ogre says we seem to have it under control but I have contacted him to see if he as any additional thoughts to add.

Manwild

Deepscanner
Jul 29, 2016
Please elaborate. I cannot improve it if I do not know the problems.

BTW Ogre says we seem to have it under control but I have contacted him to see if he as any additional thoughts to add.
Well the idea I thought was for the members to vote on the names, and not the public.
We need to list the entries and have members voting for 30 just once.
Great idea you got setup there. Just need to get a loggin or something, and tick members names off.
I not spelling it out, but you get my drift.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
Well the idea I thought was for the members to vote on the names, and not the public.
We need to list the entries and have members voting for 30 just once.
Great idea you got setup there. Just need to get a loggin or something, and tick members names off.
I not spelling it out, but you get my drift.
Ah Ok. So the issue is not the poll itself but concerns of who can access it.I am working on that.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
@Ronyn , can you check if my name for Tsihu didnt appeared? I didnt found "Sithu" in the list
And I found incorrect name, It was not "Souless", but "Soulless"
Is it possible to fix it?
I'm going back over round one, checking spelling and collecting any name that was missed.

Jul 26, 2016
Just finished the survey. Rather than have a "vote for the best three" story going on, it would probably be harder for us and more an evaluation of true sentiment if we had to rate every 10 names from 1 - 10. We run through the names till in the end, we rate the top two names from each page. Finally, we get to rate the top ten names as chosen by the community in a separate third round. But then, we'd likely be dead of exhaustion by then, so... :D
This is a good idea.

I just quit the poll at the first page since nothing there stood out to me.
It seems pointless for me to randomly pick three names just to see the next page of names that I may or may not like. I would be lying to say that I liked any of the names on the first page. And if I'm lying in a poll... then what's the point of a poll?

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
This is a good idea.

I just quit the poll at the first page since nothing there stood out to me.
It seems pointless for me to randomly pick three names just to see the next page of names that I may or may not like. I would be lying to say that I liked any of the names on the first page. And if I'm lying in a poll... then what's the point of a poll?
I explained here why I didn't go with having to rank every single name, and why I went with the "choose three" system. We can trade one set of problems for another but there is no solution without issues.
For whatever it's worth you can get through a page voting on only one name. If nothing else you can vote for whichever name on each page you could put up with the easiest, and your votes will still add up and help. As opposed to not voting at all, which keeps your preferences out of things completely. Each page is counted individually at this point so choosing a name you dont like on page one doesn't hurt the names you do like on page 2. Keep in mind this round is just to get us down to 30 names. There is still another round coming where we refine it down to 10.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
And what is the point of this? To change their name?
The point of this, as it has been previously explained, is to give the Tsihu the name that the human soldiers call them.

Official information-
"On a toxic, fiery world designated as EM-8ER, also known as “Ember,” Gatestrider reaper teams encountered humanity’s first sentient xenomorph. We know they call themselves the “Tsihu.The reaper teams that endure their constant attacks have a more colorful name for them. "

Realistically we have all personally encountered the concept of things or people having more than one name they are referred to by. Nicknames for friends, mean names for people we don't like, rude names for authority figures who get on our nerves, or forum aliases, etc. There are many reasons why more than one name exists for something. This situation has a particular context. A common thing in warfare is that soldiers from one side do not refer to the enemy by their proper names. This is all the more common when there is a language barrier, extreme lack of familiarity with the opposing culture, or deep seeded negative emotions that often rise up from prolonged battle. This has been true on many real world battlefields (I won't list any names here as they are considered offensive to many.) as many combat vets can attest. It is also a common tradition in Science fiction books, movies and games. You can see it from the alien Formics of the book series, Enders Game, being called "Buggers" by humanity to the alien Sangheili of the Halo game series being called "Elites" by humanity.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
And what is the point of this? To change their name?
If I'm not mistake, the point is the creation of lore.

You might have that particular co-worker in real life, who has a real name, but you describe them as "that POS". Not because they are. Just because of their antics. Or was that theatrics? Who knows. The point remains. It's a derogatory name. Or maybe it's a respectful one. Who knows.

Either way, it's about giving them a nickname. The kind of thing you might refer to them as, as you do your best to drop a Joey on them. Obliterate them. Send em back to where they belong.

Jul 27, 2016
So shouldn't the names be more... derogatory and off-handed? Most of these are trying to make them sound badass instead of something you just yell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.