A few updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke367

Ark Liege
May 9, 2017
I can't speak for the rest, but I can speak about the stuff I've been doing. Sculpting is the quickest part for me, but after that there's a ton of tedious stuff to do. Besides the feedback from Mark and other people on the team, I need to retopologize the meshes for animation, have it checked by animators, fix things, generate masks, generate textures in substance, import to UE4, and create the materials/shaders. In between every step I check with Mark for feedback. It's all pretty slow, and it doesn't lend itself well for a weekly update. That's why initially I jumped to other characters and quickly cobbled up some base sculpts for the Tsi-Hu and Kaiju. People like pics, so I gave them pics. Thing is, I knew I had to go back to finish the boring stuff eventually, and that's what I've been doing. I wish I could do things faster but my time is currently limited to a couple of hours after I get home from work. Also the holidays took a toll.
I think as far as weekly updates go, there will be times when there's no apparent progress and times with tons of stuff. Some things are starting to get finalized so there will probably be some nice updates soon.
I'm sure it will be well worth the wait! Y'all just keep doing an awesome job!

Jul 28, 2016
I'm sure it will be well worth the wait! Y'all just keep doing an awesome job!
I gotta admit though @Toshi does have a point. This long im the dark with nothing when before even when there was nothing to report they still gave an update.... This does cast a dark light on the crew.

I get it, they all have primary jobs and most of them are doing this part time, but there was a fast momentum at the start and now it has died down and nothing for the past few weeks. I can see nothing in the pipeline between 12/19-01/18 but...... I am sure that there is starting to me a doubt creeping in.

I have high hopes that they are plunging away on the designs and in game action for their demo and wait eagerly for it.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
I gotta admit though @Toshi does have a point. This long im the dark with nothing when before even when there was nothing to report they still gave an update.... This does cast a dark light on the crew.

I get it, they all have primary jobs and most of them are doing this part time, but there was a fast momentum at the start and now it has died down and nothing for the past few weeks. I can see nothing in the pipeline between 12/19-01/18 but...... I am sure that there is starting to me a doubt creeping in.

I have high hopes that they are plunging away on the designs and in game action for their demo and wait eagerly for it.
I'll just echo @Toshi on this. The initial momentum was down to all the reveals and new concepts. Those are always exciting.

What comes afterwards is the chore part of the job, where you have to spend hours setting up, detailing and tweaking minor details. Not all of that work is exciting, and often would not really show major changes to the untrained eye.

Think of it like a cake being baked in the oven. You can't keep opening it up and prodding it every 5 minutes to see if anything has changed. Gotta give it time to be done.

Having said that, Mark has prepared a couple of video updates for the community. Those should be released soon.

Jul 28, 2016
What comes afterwards is the chore part of the job, where you have to spend hours setting up, detailing and tweaking minor details. Not all of that work is exciting, and often would not really show major changes to the untrained eye.

Think of it like a cake being baked in the oven. You can't keep opening it up and prodding it every 5 minutes to see if anything has changed. Gotta give it time to be done.
Ohh no doubt. Time patience and love is what goes into a great steak and I am looking forward to Team Em8er whipping up a juicy Porterhouse T Bone when they are ready. I am in no rush and I dontw want them to rush either.

Great chefs tend to the kitchen and let the wait staff deal with the customer. And when the customer is done there is the chef saying " I know what ya like"

Toshi

Ember Dev
Sep 24, 2017
toshitne.imgur.com
...Not all of that work is exciting, and often would not really show major changes...
There have been times when I've spent hours tweaking something and when I show Mark a pic he can't tell the difference.
The things I want to show will be in the video. Now if you excuse me I have to go cover a couple of bald heads with polygon hair.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
I can't speak for the rest,... Some things are starting to get finalized so there will probably be some nice updates soon.
Only cutting the quote short for space. I typed too much.

Toshi, you awesome modeler you... Thanks!

Yeah, I got that some of the process can be mind numbing (tedious), it definitely takes someone with more patience, dedication and vision than myself. That's for sure. For myself, I don't really have "expectations" for the updates themselves and weekly updates are not real in today's age either. Calling the "Friday updates" was a great concept, it does not indicate frequency just suggests that fans check in on Fridays to look for the updates. I think seeing the news thread date advance might be my personal button, not sure how it is for others.

All?..
Aside from the personal responses for individual posts/topics, which are great and help explain to everyone with further detail or add information to an update, which can consume significant time to get worded correctly. Maybe just something linking the tween-ter updates as new news threads could suffice. (hopes that's not more work for anyone in particular) Another possibility is limiting the time in which a news update is responded too by the team and instead beginning a new thread, usually the topic seems to drift a bit into something slightly more specific/significant after while anyway and could be spotlighted better via a new thread.

Thank you for the response and I wish you all well and prosperity,

Toshi

Ember Dev
Sep 24, 2017
toshitne.imgur.com
...weekly updates are not real in today's age either...
The thing with crowdfunding is that you have to try. People support you with their money so you have to do your best to deliver, which I think Mark has done. The lack of recent updates is mostly the holidays, it will probably get back on track soon.
One problem with a strict regular update schedule is that you might eventually end up showing people basically the same thing over and over again, just because you promised to show them something. I've backed a couple of kickstarters that had so many updates that when I got the game I didn't even play it. I felt like I've seen it all already. You have to balance all those things

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
The thing with crowdfunding is that you have to try. People support you with their money so you have to do your best to deliver, which I think Mark has done. The lack of recent updates is mostly the holidays, it will probably get back on track soon.
One problem with a strict regular update schedule is that you might eventually end up showing people basically the same thing over and over again, just because you promised to show them something. I've backed a couple of kickstarters that had so many updates that when I got the game I didn't even play it. I felt like I've seen it all already. You have to balance all those things
BUT..... THIS IS DIFFERENT.
ANY AND EVERY UPDATE. EVEN A FEW PROGRESSION PICTURE FROM YOU MAKE THE WAITING HARDER.
I WANT THAT F*CKING GAME NOW. WHY NOT YESTERDAY.

*stomps around like a little brat*
IWANTITNOWIWANTITNOWIWANTITNOW

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I agree the balancing of impactful updates is tough when trying to moderate impatience and hype. I like seeing screen shots and concept art a lot but totally gettin' what you mean with seeing the game from updates. I'm going to be like that with zones. I don't want to see the screens, I want to explore and then be like "holy schnikes I never knew a place like this was in the game" only February, folks. You guys can't handle the slow part of the after holidays, how are you going to handle April when the mock up is truly coming together?

Jul 7, 2017
Is there some rough date when this game goes to Kickstarter? When i say rough date i mean are you planning on kickstarting it by the end of 2018?

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Is there some rough date when this game goes to Kickstarter? When i say rough date i mean are you planning on kickstarting it by the end of 2018?
I'd gander the mock up will be done around August, then add a few months to compile information, concepts, etc, for the Kickstarter launch. I'd wager sometime around November or December. There's probably an "ideal" month to launch a Kickstarter in that yields more attention, so if there is Mark will likely wait for that window to launch the Kickstarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.