Missions and Assists (Freeloading, AFK farming)

Just a minute ago, I got over 300k XP, for a Chosen Incursion that was taking place at the far end of Kaimui Station (the one with the giant radar array or whatever it is), while I was literally at the other end of the base, down in the tunnels doing an ARES Mission, destroying Strife Bringers.

And this was the thousands if not the millionth time I was rewarded XP, out of the blue, for something I had either zero part in or was just near and went past the event. This genuinely annoys me. And I find it disgusting that many players smilingly shrug it off and are even thrilled with the free XP, no matter how small it is. In Devil's Tusk, at FOB Harpoon, one can see dozens of players huddled in the corner of the base, standing around ALL day, farming Group Bounties and Assists from the mission above them, on the surface, doing nothing. It isn't the fastest way of gaining XP or Bounty points, but it is certainly not something that should be allowed.

In Ember, such exploit have got to STOP.

If it's going to have an assist system, then the detection range and minimal participation threshold need serious adjusting. Rewards should also scale according to the amount of participation and performance. DEFIANCE actually has a pretty good system, giving a scoreboard at the end of each encounter, listing kills, assists and rewarding players for how well they did. Of course, there should be a minimum amount rewarded for just participating, regardless of performance, but those who perform better, even exceptionally (depending on the level of the event and their own) should receive either bonuses or greater rewards, encouraging support and everyone to give it their all. Of course, the problem is, high-level players might still mow down mobs, before less experienced players could get at them, but then, they wouldn't be rewarded as much if the mission or event was way below their level, their power-rating, their something-rating. Should their be levels, at all? Thinking of the ECHO levels in DEFIANCE that seem to work better. I think it is still what they call vertical progression, but slower and more spread out than e.g.: FF.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
In guild wars 2, you get loot/xp from an enemy when you did a percentage points of dmg (exploited being in teams or group), you'll be flagged as afk/inactive when staying to long outside of the event zone or standing idle for to long.

In guild wars 2, you get loot/xp from an enemy when you did a percentage points of dmg (exploited being in teams or group), you'll be flagged as afk/inactive when staying to long outside of the event zone or standing idle for to long.
Pretty sure people can hack their way around AFK detection with some mods and whatnot, though. And sure, doing damage to a enemy, actively playing however small a part in its destruction should give a minimum/minimal reward and then depending on how much of its health or how much of the enemy force one personally was responsible for killing, they should get higher rewards.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Hopefully XP isn't such a central feature to our progression in Ember; the proposed horizontal nature suggests that XP should not be the primary contributor to our unlocks, if it exists at all. In such a case, the rewards system will practically write itself: you're rewarded for the mission you're on or the problems you solve, preferably with more material gains and less abstract "experience points."

Jul 28, 2016
I agree no AFK XP farming. should be if you go AFK your XP stops till you no longer afk. Way to many people doing the AFK XP farming in FF. PLEASE don't let that happen in Ember.

Jul 27, 2016
Somewhere on Earth
My 2 cents is that assist EXP and rewards should go to individuals or party members who actively participated in what occurs. It's why I think a Coordination Bonus mechanic wouldn't go awry: granting players a 'Coordinated Kill' and 'Coordinated Assist' bonus respectively for 3 or more players doing equal or significant damage to the same enemy. You could even extend it to objective-based rewards, like 'Coordinated Capture' or 'Coordinated Defense.' It would incentivize teamwork and objective focus, even with non-grouped players - but of course, group members would be getting a larger benefit. Players would be more willing to cooperate as equals, instead of the FYGM attitude that's so pervasive in games such as these.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Hopefully XP isn't such a central feature to our progression in Ember; the proposed horizontal nature suggests that XP should not be the primary contributor to our unlocks, if it exists at all. In such a case, the rewards system will practically write itself: you're rewarded for the mission you're on or the problems you solve, preferably with more material gains and less abstract "experience points."
There won't even be XP if we don't have vertical.
So there's no worry.
We know there is progression, a way to earn new weapons and abilities. Xp is a progression mechanic. It can just as easily be used to unlock new side grades in a horizontal progression system as it could be used to unlock upgrades in a vertical progression system. Though I know Grummz was considering using resources to unlock things instead of xp. Either way the concern of someone gaining something from other peoples work or being afk is something worth thinking about.

Last edited:

Fac3man

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
ROFL!! WHY!?!?! The game has'nt even released and your cry baby ass is already complaining about xp farming ROFL!! GET A LIFE!
yeah..he's right..i suggest to wait for the dev-team for some news..when a demo is released theres still enough time for any suggestions..the forums are already full of rubbish with heaps of threads by some kiddies

yeah..he's right..i suggest to wait for the dev-team for some news..when a demo is released theres still enough time for any suggestions..the forums are already full of rubbish with heaps of threads by some kiddies
And I suggest he should phrase what is essentially the same response, without an ad hominem and in a much less hostile and less immature tone.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
So... more on the side of what Defiance is doing? with upgrades to your gear stats rather than your own?
(maybe analogy is poor but cant think of any solid example atm)
Not really, Defiance system has vertical progression. Things get better and stronger.
Official information on Ember is: " Progression is horizontal, opening up more options and abilities and gameplay. "
Horizontal progression means we wont be getting stronger/better stats and gear.
Instead we will be unlocking new options and various side grades.
Whether or not XP will be something used to gain those is or if it will rely solely on gathering resources is still undecided.
Grummz hasn't nailed down all of those decisions yet.

Jul 26, 2016
Not really, Defiance system has vertical progression. Things get better and stronger.
Official information on Ember is: " Progression is horizontal, opening up more options and abilities and gameplay. "
so like Loadout crafting system
where you didn't actually get stronger gear but instead new options that could have the potential of making your preferred playstyle into a godly one or make you as weak as a kitten. But the same weapon in the hands of someone else could make your weak as kitten rifle into one badass rifle.

It was your playstyle that really determined how well your gear did in matches.

Jul 26, 2016
The afk farming in Firefall right now is primarily a reflection of the fact that there is a vastly diminished player population, a dying game, and precious little content at the high end. Why put actual effort into playing?

There are still a few things to tinker with (no pun intended), but it's not really worth actual playtime .

Nobody bothered when the game was more fun and the population was active.

Jul 27, 2016
Somewhere on Earth
You know..there are far more straight-forward and less...'special'...ways to present the point that we know nothing of the game as of yet. Still, I find it healthy to have concern a similar issue may surface again; nothing against the Red5 team, but history does have a bad habit of repeating itself.

TGVirus

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
Whether or not XP will be something used to gain those is or if it will rely solely on gathering resources is still undecided.
Grummz hasn't nailed down all of those decisions yet.
Dont have too much experience on this so i could only speculate, but it sounds interesting none the less. Can't wait xD