This Feeling, This flow, This movement.. This is what I miss

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
A simple 7 year old video of XP Valley during FireFall open Beta. Watching this 4 minute video raises the hair on my arms. The smooth movement, thrust, run, jump, fire turn, thrust... This is what I hope Em-8ER can emulate. I know the gameplay will be different, but one of the driving factors of my enjoyment in FF was the actual mechanics of movement, ESPECIALLY, in Beta.
Right now in the early pre-Alpha of Em-8ER we have a semblance of this, I just hope and pray the Devs are going to try and tweak it more to this feel.
Just wanted to express that this type of movement was one of the major factors in me getting hooked on FF and my hopes for further Em-8ER development.
(But all in all the progress so far IS AMAZING!)

Last edited:

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
The Assault was always a bit the posterboy for Firefall imo.

The basics are there. Things i like about it; glider on low cooldown, having momentum when hitting the ground translates to sliding. This then keeps that same momentum going. You can kinda trust, slide, jump and then glide, etc. This got a very nice flow to it.

The long cooldown on overthrust in combination with directional trust taking up jet energy feels wonky but my main complaint being no jet recharge while doing anything else but being on the ground.

But overall yeah, this is what i've missed since FF and for a first iteration it's pretty good imo.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
The forward momentum is satisfying at the moment (though the resource demo limited your maximum glider speed too much imo). I don't use the dash because it's really finicky, but the overthrust is nice for a vertical climb.
my main complaint being no jet recharge while doing anything else but being on the ground.
I kinda wish they'd add this in a way so you couldn't gain extra height... Like it would recharge faster the closer to the ground you were.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
That would be a sweet compromise.
Or just starts recharging as soon as you are not using it. Thats how most other games, including FF, do it with their thrust/recharge mechanics.
I don't use the dash because it's really finicky, but the overthrust is nice for a vertical climb.
To me the side to side movement with dash is a bit wonky ATM. My style of gameplay would have me using it a lot so I hoping for some tweaks to that also.

Last edited:

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
There's also so much more that could have been done to the Assaults frames to continue to expand on the possibilities of that frame and its potential. The Firecat was pretty much there (in one particular playstyle at least) but this also caused the great Firecat/Tigerclaw civil war. (Many kittens were harmed in this brutal keyboard war, sanctions were put in place but to no avail).

Many base Assault abilities could have been added or variations of existing ones to expand on their potential, yet it never really got fully realized.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017
A simple 7 year old video of XP Valley during FireFall open Beta. Watching this 4 minute video raises the hair on my arms. The smooth movement, thrust, run, jump, fire turn, thrust... This is what I hope Em-8ER can emulate. I know the gameplay will be different, but one of the driving factors of my enjoyment in FF was the actual mechanics of movement, ESPECIALLY, in Beta.
Right now in the early pre-Alpha of Em-8ER we have a semblance of this, I just hope and pray the Devs are going to try and tweak it more to this feel.
Just wanted to express that this type of movement was one of the major factors in me getting hooked on FF and my hopes for further Em-8ER development.
(But all in all the progress so far IS AMAZING!)
This is my biggest hope and greatest concern. In Firefall the movement felt natural. It fit with the size of the frames we wore. The frames in Ember are so much larger and clunkier looking that I am concerned with how it will look and feel _IF_ we get the kind of movement and dynamic combat feel of FF. Big clunky looking frames, which honestly don't have the appearance of offering much protection, jetting around the field..... could kill the immersion .

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I've stated my opinions on player movement to varying degrees in two old threads that I link below. In a concise format I'll say that the sense of freedom needs to retain a sense of value with it. Players need to feel barriers and limitations. The mountains and towers in Firefall felt massive and immersive because player were limited in their abilities to scale those heights. Players need to feel the benefits AND consequences of their mobility.

I currently believe Em8er's current jet fuel capacity and jet velocity should be the end-game, max stat feel. More detail on how I believe jump jet fuel should feel like the most valuable resource and how too much fuel can spoil gameplay is linked below.

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/another-thing-that-made-firefall-perhaps-unique.278/#post-9918

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/weapons-test-1-0-feedback-suggestions.1586/post-48651

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
I've stated my opinions on player movement to varying degrees in two old threads that I link below. In a concise format I'll say that the sense of freedom needs to retain a sense of value with it. Players need to feel barriers and limitations. The mountains and towers in Firefall felt massive and immersive because player were limited in their abilities to scale those heights. Players need to feel the benefits AND consequences of their mobility.

I currently believe Em8er's current jet fuel capacity and jet velocity should be the end-game, max stat feel. More detail on how I believe jump jet fuel should feel like the most valuable resource and how too much fuel can spoil gameplay is linked below.

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/another-thing-that-made-firefall-perhaps-unique.278/#post-9918

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/weapons-test-1-0-feedback-suggestions.1586/post-48651
I personally feel the side to side movement is still off a bit. But what we have so far is AMAZING in general.
Couple weeks we'll have the Tsi-hu firing back at us Demo. I think this will be helpful in each of us determining our gameplay style in conjunction with the movement mechanics the Devs have implemented so far.

Last edited:

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Couple weeks we'll have the Tsi-hu firing back at us Demo. I think this will be helpful in each of us determining our gameplay style in conjunction with the movement mechanics the Devs have implemented so far.
+1 to this. The Tsi-hu (both forms) will give a lot of feedback on the movement system as it is now. If they're as devious and as quick as they appear in the Vision Book and novel, the current system might work with a good bit of polish (especially on dashing and strafing). Feels good though.

One gripe with the dashing though. If you dash and let go of Spacebar, you retain your momentum while falling, covering horizontal ground faster than continuing to jet (where you lose you momentum after the dash). The deceleration is a bit much.

More detail on how I believe jump jet fuel should feel like the most valuable resource and how too much fuel can spoil gameplay is linked below.
Great posts. Curious to see how valuable jet energy is when the Tsi-hu can also pull you out of the sky. Being airborne might become a liability for some (lightly-armoured frames), but an opportunity for others (melee-focused omniframes).

Last edited:

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
My suggestions for the current Berserker build;
  • Tweak the jumpjet recharge rate. Iinadri made a perfect compromise for this.
  • Minimize the burst boost jet fuel consumption and/or put it on its own separate timer.
  • Decrease overtrust cooldown (you can always tweak it later).
  • Add a backflip movement ability that does DMG (or doesn't) on activation.

This would complete the current kit imo.

Last edited: