Unified Warfront Uplink (UWU)

Thoughts?

• Total voters

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
After reading the latest Vision Book update, I've been thinking more and more about the strategic side of Em-8ER, specifically when it comes to large-scale battles such as defending frontline bases, terraforming stations and taking down larger Kaiju. I propose a separate UI built specifically for organising a defence. The UWU, the Unified Warfront Uplink.

This menu is activated by holding the map hotkey for a couple of seconds.
Quick commands can be issued by pressing a 'Command' hotkey and navigate through the menu with numbers 1-9 (1 Group > 1 Waypoint > 1 Move/2 Attack/3 Defend, 4 Fire > 1 Orbital Strike > 1 Waypoint/2 Target)

Bases under attack launch a drone which flies above the base. Opens up a map screen showing a top-down view of the battlefield with a list of players on one side, a list of waypoints, manoeuvres and actions on the other. Switching between the tabs of the chat allow you to send messages to specific groups, the entire

Waypoints can be placed on the map in different colours. This is the same with manoeuvres (flank, suppress, bombard) and actions (move, attack, capture). Squads can be assigned to these actions.

On the ground, players participating in the event are automatically be assigned to the freelance squad but can switch to a different squad at any time.

Groups

Freelance - Default group. This group can be issued commands, however it's more of a suggestion. Freelance is for players who prefer to go it alone.
Offensive - Default group. Taking down primary threats.
Defensive - Default group. Defending a specific location, normally THMPRs and priority structures.
Crowd Control - Default group. Dealing with the zerg rush.
Harrassers - Default group. Harassment of larger units to provide breathing space for other groups.
Custom - Commanders can set custom squads for special tasks.

Base Building Synergies/Requirements

- Requires an operational Orbital Comm Tower in the base to function.
- Can calldown orbital strikes (provided any other conditions to call down an orbital strike are met).
- Can automatically highlight enemies on allied radars when in use. Requires an operational Tactical Sensor Array.

Pros:
+ Allows players who are tactically-minded to lead assaults and defences
+ Quickly gain a general overview of the battlefield
+ Effectively issued commands and strategies to other players
+ Players are playing together to achieve certain goals, rather than playing "together" achieving their own goals

Cons:
- A small number of the player-base would be interested in fully utilizing this feature. I would think most players would use it to call down orbital strikes.
- Not all players would follow commands unless it was a player who was very active or someone they knew (guild leader), hence the freelancer group.
- Further to above two notes, newer players may not get much exposure to this feature
- Some players will already know how to manage a specific event, and will just do their own thing

Other ramblings:
~ Group statistics/leaderboard for event
~ Would this be a guild-specific tool or be open to large groups of players (if so, how do these players group, their command structure, how many players in the group to activate, etc..)
~ OP-AI integration for receiving commands and receiving tactical feedback ("Pilot, we have to take this waypoint" when sent an attack command, "Orbital Strike incoming, get out of there!" when within minimum safe distance of an Orbital Strike, "Pilot, defend the THMPR!" when sent a defend command on a THMPR)
~ Might make for some interesting screenshots and/or videos of battles
~ Maximum number of drones? Is there a better way?
~ Still uncertain whether bases are built and held by guilds or as a community effort

Share your thoughts below. I was going to draw up a diagram of the menu however I'm at work. I'll doodle something when I'm home.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The UWU, the Unified Warfront Uplink.
Neat name!

Bases under attack launch a drone which flies above the base.
Some questions on drones:

- Could the drones be damaged/interfered by enemies/weather?

- Does the drone have a warning system of last location if it goes down, does it mean we can replace it with another after a cool down?

- During our time of not knowing where everyone is, what would be the methods of co-ordination e.g signal flares and sound waves, low tech etc?

- Could the drone be hijacked to locate our whereabouts if not retrieved early?

- Could we repair our damaged drones or would it specifically be for engineers?

- Can our drone use alien tech to improve its survival as an upgrade with the right schematics?

- Do the tsi-hu have something similar to our drone?

~ Would this be a guild-specific tool or be open to large groups of players (if so, how do these players group, their command structure, how many players in the group to activate, etc..)
I think this could be good for guilds that have alliances this doesn't mean public groups couldn't have one too.

The only requirement could be to set up a UWU and be trained to use it at some training simulation then you can get a badge saying well done you are a UWU operator.

~ OP-AI integration for receiving commands and receiving tactical feedback ("Pilot, we have to take this waypoint" when sent an attack command, "Orbital Strike incoming, get out of there!" when within minimum safe distance of an Orbital Strike, "Pilot, defend the THMPR!" when sent a defend command on a THMPR)
i like this you could also add casualty detection so that medics or those nearby can see how many need medical attention.

A nice thing also could be a Retreat and regroup with e.g. running person icon as a way point.

~ Might make for some interesting screenshots and/or videos of battles
It definitely would, and much to talk about with tactics and strategy with the live action scene on one side and the UWU map showing what is happening.

Imagine if the UWU had a UWU Intelligence where you and others can discuss further of tactics and strategy. There could also be a map to put your own spin on a tactic and send out across as a suggestion map could have an overlay to show the difference between different tactics.

Sometimes we might miss something out, but with the Mega minds together we can come with some ways to out smart the opponents!

~ Maximum number of drones? Is there a better way?
Number of drones could mean more targets for the tsi-hu but it also means more range for us to cover a wider map coverage, so that is a risk and a reward we have to consider too.

Drones could be upgraded but it is no easy task perhaps with experience as a UWU operative and many battle simulations / Live then there is a tree to unlock upgrades for tougher drones or delivery drones to drop support pack e.g. Energy replenish boost etc

In time UWU operatives could excel with different ranks towards UWU Commander that can gain support of mega flying ship yes could even be Lucretia !!!

~ Still uncertain whether bases are built and held by guilds or as a community effort
I hope it is both some people do not play in guilds and just with their friends.
When playing games only been in guilds just to get the perks but most of the time with a few friends because you want to really trust someone and have more control too sometimes.

Guild specific bases could have support from the public with a distress signal if they wishes or do it within the guild/alliance.

Public on the other hand is for all, and some structures cannot be owned because lets say the npc's own them.

Would be in the best interest that we help them to sustain and support them too.
Just like in firefall the npc's had their own personalities and in Em8er some own their structures/vehicles etc some might signal and say "Reaper we need your help fixing our base in doing so you get to learn more on the structure and how to proceed with your own"

This could also build rep with npc's because like with anyone if you ignore or are a jerk eventually the npc's may decide not to assist you as much or make excuses such as "my Tech-goat ate my homework sorry i am unable to help"

I'll doodle something when I'm home.
Ah awaits the doodle

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Some questions on drones:

- Could the drones be damaged/interfered by enemies/weather?

- Does the drone have a warning system of last location if it goes down, does it mean we can replace it with another after a cool down?

- During our time of not knowing where everyone is, what would be the methods of co-ordination e.g signal flares and sound waves, low tech etc?

- Could the drone be hijacked to locate our whereabouts if not retrieved early?

- Could we repair our damaged drones or would it specifically be for engineers?

- Can our drone use alien tech to improve its survival as an upgrade with the right schematics?

- Do the tsi-hu have something similar to our drone?
I hadn't thought of the drone having vulnerabilities, as it should be high enough that it'll be out of accurate firing range for any Tsi-hu. However, for added challenge, it would definitely be vulnerable to larger Kaiju (depending on their scale, maybe Tier 3 and above). It could still be activated, however would have an approximate countdown until it required repairs/is destroyed unless you take down the Kaiju's AA guns. The Tsi-hu already have the ability to disrupt communications, so I could see this playing into what you see from the drones view when engaging larger Kaiju.

If there is a repair bay in the base, it can come down and receive repairs, which is quicker than manufacturing and launching a new drone (1.5x-3x depending).

Lore-wise, based on the novel, Tsi-hu can disrupt communications. I don't know how well this will play into the game as you would want players to communicate in order to take down large targets/forces. Signal flares could be one way to do this. I would imagine that if you're in a group, you could set waypoints. There's also text and voice chat for local players. Depends on how they want to do it (I would personally love to see your messages get corrupted near enemies, maybe you could opt-in to this).

If the drone is destroyed, I think I should be completely destroyed. The only alternative I could imagine would be:
- Drone shot down, lands randomly
- Tsi-hu attempt to capture it
- You must control the zone and ensure the drones destruction
- If you fail, the Tsi-hu can call in one of your own Orbital Strikes against you

The repair bay building in the Vision Book should be able to repair the drone.

The drone is meant to give you a look over the battlefield. What would you recommend as an upgrade to the drone?

I'm kinda clueless as to how they communicate. It seems like a hivemind, but they may just have implants that allow them to communicate by thought. Aerial Tsi-hu scare me though.
I think this could be good for guilds that have alliances this doesn't mean public groups couldn't have one too.

The only requirement could be to set up a UWU and be trained to use it at some training simulation then you can get a badge saying well done you are a UWU operator.
I agree that all players should have access and be able to learn how to use it. However by design, it's not meant to be used by everyone from a command-issuing point of view. All players can open the menu with the hot key and see what everyone else can see... But the more advanced features they would be locked if they weren't commanding. It's one of the points I don't really like about it.

A training simulation would be awesome though!
I like this you could also add casualty detection so that medics or those nearby can see how many need medical attention.

A nice thing also could be a Retreat and regroup with e.g. running person icon as a way point.
+1 to this, though it should be built into OP-AI from the start. That way, it could also be used by the Tsi-hu to lure unsuspecting players into traps.

Retreat would be a manoeuvre you could place on the map and assign to a group.
It definitely would, and much to talk about with tactics and strategy with the live action scene on one side and the UWU map showing what is happening.

Imagine if the UWU had a UWU Intelligence where you and others can discuss further of tactics and strategy. There could also be a map to put your own spin on a tactic and send out across as a suggestion map could have an overlay to show the difference between different tactics.

Sometimes we might miss something out, but with the Mega minds together we can come with some ways to out smart the opponents!
We're constantly fighting this intelligent AI for control of the map. Tactics and effective strategies should always change and evolve on both sides of the field. That's the reason to have a system like the UWU.
Number of drones could mean more targets for the tsi-hu but it also means more range for us to cover a wider map coverage, so that is a risk and a reward we have to consider too.

Drones could be upgraded but it is no easy task perhaps with experience as a UWU operative and many battle simulations / Live then there is a tree to unlock upgrades for tougher drones or delivery drones to drop support pack e.g. Energy replenish boost etc

In time UWU operatives could excel with different ranks towards UWU Commander that can gain support of mega flying ship yes could even be Lucretia !!!
The main reason I'd consider more drones is to allow players to move the drones into different positions as needed. Having 20 drones in the sky would be a target to the Tsi-hu, but also an air traffic hazard for nearby dropships.

Lucretia ❤️
I hope it is both some people do not play in guilds and just with their friends.
When playing games only been in guilds just to get the perks but most of the time with a few friends because you want to really trust someone and have more control too sometimes.

Guild specific bases could have support from the public with a distress signal if they wishes or do it within the guild/alliance.

Public on the other hand is for all, and some structures cannot be owned because lets say the npc's own them.

Would be in the best interest that we help them to sustain and support them too.
Just like in firefall the npc's had their own personalities and in Em8er some own their structures/vehicles etc some might signal and say "Reaper we need your help fixing our base in doing so you get to learn more on the structure and how to proceed with your own"

This could also build rep with npc's because like with anyone if you ignore or are a jerk eventually the npc's may decide not to assist you as much or make excuses such as "my Tech-goat ate my homework sorry i am unable to help"
As I said, it would be better if it was available to everyone, but I'm seeing input on how exactly that could be achieved fairly and with the maximum amount of usefulness and fun. I'll think on it more too.
Ah awaits the doodle
I'm still working on a doodle, but I might animate it a little. It'll come, I promise.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
- If you fail, the Tsi-hu can call in one of your own Orbital Strikes against you
I'm kinda clueless as to how they communicate. It seems like a hivemind, but they may just have implants that allow them to communicate by thought. Aerial Tsi-hu scare me though.
:O scary indeed

The drone is meant to give you a look over the battlefield. What would you recommend as an upgrade to the drone?
What if the drone have link-eye with recons because recons can give information to the drone
lets say the recon scans a specific area and it gets sent to the drone the drone will give additional information.

Another could be drone tether to drop ships or mother ships temporarily giving it improved mobility

I'm still working on a doodle, but I might animate it a little. It'll come, I promise.
Animate even better but either way like to see!

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Uploaded to Imgur because it's too large apparently. This is what I was thinking generally, but less spreadsheet and more Em-8ER.

Considering I knocked this up in half an hour because the first version was terrible, I'll note:

+ The game shouldn't render in its full glory. The terrain should render as a tessellated grid, much like you see in TRON. No issue with the Omniframes and Kaiju rendering personally, but on lower end machines they could lose their textures or something along those lines.
+ Select a Squad, issue and order. Rinse and repeat.
+ I completely missed the enemy markers.
+ Also missed displaying casualties as per Pandagnome's suggestion. Perhaps displaying the omniframes as a green-to-red gradient with a health bar under their respective names on the list would do.
+ These commands appear on the player's compass and as visual waypoints in the world (much like the resource demo icons)