Grummz Dev Insights 3/25/19 - Why game ideas are worthless

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Greetings,

As most of us know, Mark Kern (AKA Grummz) has many years of game development experience. He has worked on hugely successful titles such as World Of Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo. Let's also not forget about the spiritual inspiration for Em-8er, the late great Firefall.

Mark has recently begun a series of videos where he breaks down some key information on the game industry. These videos could be extremely useful for people with anyone from a passing curiosity in game development to those who are passionate about breaking into it.

So if you fall somewhere in there, sit on down and open up your mind.

If you have thoughts, questions of feedback, post them below!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Cold hard truths. As the comments on YouTube, this happens at all things. I have a damn good story (I say so damn it) in my head, but ability to write is handicapped. I know I will never have the time to do the schooling for the knowledge on translating what's in my brain to paper. I actually have shared it with Grummz before too.

Gives me more belief in the transparency of Em-8ER when you get behind the scenes facts like this video. Damn, Em-8ER team, you guys rock. Especially the unnamed who balance life and jobs to do this without compensation or recognition. This community loves you all. So a huge thank you for the efforts this far.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Cold hard truths.

Gives me more belief in the transparency of Em-8ER when you get behind the scenes facts like this video. Damn, Em-8ER team, you guys rock. Especially the unnamed who balance life and jobs to do this without compensation or recognition. This community loves you all. So a huge thank you for the efforts this far.

DITTO on all of the above.

Additionally, I hope the Em-8ER Dev Team knows we think they are . . .

AWESOMESAUCE.gif

Keep up the great work because we want to play Em-8ER as much as you do!!

8 FOR Em-8ER :cool: :cool: :cool:

Aug 14, 2016
I'm a story teller and world builder who freely shares my ideas with other people. Although I personally have two of artist's curses on me. One, I never think my own work is good enough because no matter how good other people tell me it is I only see the flaws in it and know that it can be better. And two, I'm really bad at making up names for stuff. And this is on top of my dyslexia that makes writing and typing really hard for me. So odds are I'm not going the write the books kicking around in my head that people are tell me I need to write. I don't have the time nor resources to do so even if I wanted too. I'm under no illusion of being the next great writer known the world over. I'm just happy that few stories I am able to tell to friends and the few random people who happen walk by or overhear me enjoy it while it last.

I'm not a game designer nor am I a programmer. But if I ever wanted to make a game I wouldn't just type up my ideas and hand it over for someone else to make. It is my baby and I'll be the one to bring it into the world. I would first learn how to make a working demo myself if only to prove that my ideas can be done. Before I start looking for outside help and/or backing. And personally I think one of the things a lot people fail at is communicating what they are really doing. Is it a game, is it art, is it a message, or is it a tool? I feel the reason why some games fails is because of miscommunication. And I think we all have came across a game or two in our lives where the game was failed because of mislabeling so the people who have really enjoyed it overlooked not thinking it was for them while others hated it because they felt the game didn't live up to a promise that game was never making in the first place. For example so people say Asura's Wrath was bad game but it would have made a good movie.

I say if you are going to do something do it on your own terms in our own way. Even if at times it feels like all you are doing is yelling into the void. If it is something really important the people who really need to hear will get the message. Even if they are born long after you died. People come and go, but good idea are immortal.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
This vid was enlightening
Very glad there are some big minds here and also those who have the skill to translate those thoughts into a game itself.

Like most of us enjoying the spewing of ideas and ideas are great makes for great chats here in the forum its something i enjoy.

Hope this continues and so does the development and success because i am waiting to hop into that mech and ride motorbikes and do the business :D

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Interesting, not exactly anything I didn't already know. There is simply a certain logic that is difficult to avoid. I actually had a fantastic idea for an epic shooter PVP MMO back in the early 2000's but I realized pretty quickly that it was never going to be something made, it ended up being turned into a book series that I am still writing on to this day. If one reads closely they can still catch some hints at its MMO design origins.

Aug 5, 2016
This vid was enlightening
Very glad there are some big minds here and also those who have the skill to translate those thoughts into a game itself.

Like most of us enjoying the spewing of ideas and ideas are great makes for great chats here in the forum its something i enjoy.

Hope this continues and so does the development and success because i am waiting to hop into that mech and ride motorbikes and do the business :D
wait how are you gonna ride bikes on a mech? that makes no sense... I thought bikes had to be ridden as a human? Cause how big are this bikes going to be?

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I never heard of a game developed without any ideas. Recently I saw a video of the guy that did dead space how he had that idea for years but never had the opportunity to work on. Even this game was an idea only and you presented it to us so we can back it. Fact is we made it this far just cause of an idea. Everyone here is exited about your idea. All we have is your idea cause there is nothing else. You can have all the talent to execute or develop what ever you want. But, I still think that without an idea you've got nothing. No disrespect. It's just the way I see it

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
wait how are you gonna ride bikes on a mech? that makes no sense... I thought bikes had to be ridden as a human? Cause how big are this bikes going to be?
oh that would be interesting :p to be honest wish my mech could turn into a bike :cool:

I think its a separate thing yes so hopping out of mech and spawn the smexy bike indeed :D

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
here is exited about your idea.
Many of us are excited of the ideas and vision me too!

There are a bunch of ideas here i always like to read/hear other people's ideas too
i am sure there is some creative things that can come from all these plans

What ideas do you like to see or have that could be implemented?

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
Many of us are excited of the ideas and vision me too!

There are a bunch of ideas here i always like to read/hear other people's ideas too
i am sure there is some creative things that can come from all these plans

What ideas do you like to see or have that could be implemented?
I already posted that a long time ago. Not gonna get into it cause I believe this video was made so we stop talking about our ideas. That's what I got from it. Nowhere in the video he said he welcomes ideas. Its more about batching ideas and basically telling us to keep it to our self's cause they are worthless. If you guys got something else well. that's you. We know day dreaming is the easy part. But, nothing gets done in this world without ideas first. Anyway enough about this. this is a sad topic to be honest. I'm out

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I already posted that a long time ago. Not gonna get into it cause I believe this video was made so we stop talking about our ideas. That's what I got from it. Nowhere in the video he said he welcomes ideas. Its more about batching ideas and basically telling us to keep it to our self's cause they are worthless. If you guys got something else well. that's you. We know day dreaming is the easy part. But, nothing gets done in this world without ideas first. Anyway enough about this. this is a sad topic to be honest. I'm out
I guess the title of the topic is a bit direct and brutally honest in the game business perhaps worded differently like (why game ideas are overlooked?)

When i looked at the video again it made me think of his experience of how big organizations would deal with the game ideas and to prevent getting sued since it is a big hassle.

As a result in this forum the ideas are public domain and no legal issues if i understood that right.

Then there is what ideas could be realistically implemented with the budget they have and, technology that they are using and the time frame they have in mind also keeping it entertaining as well!

I am happy spewing ideas and hope everyone does because with all our ideas out of 1000s i am sure there can be that special gem or a combination of a few that make the dev's go oooh didnt think of that time to look into this further.

To me ideas are valued the question is which ideas could be selected and even tweaked to fit into Em8er game hmm

So dont even stop ideas and dreaming !!!

dreams could come true :cool:

Last edited: