About Ember, the Firefall spiritual successor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetVictory

Jul 27, 2016
PvE FTW! IMHO, the best times are when the whole playerbase is working ( in a multitude of individual actions ) for a common goal.

That said, using the PvE games assets/lore/etc. to provision a SEPARATE PvP game ( i.e. it LOOKS the same but PLAYS differently ) isn't a stretch of the imagination.

NF85

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
so, visualy speaking here, how mutch of the style of firefall will be in ember?

are we talking a visual clone exept whit the open world that we was promised in firefall, or a brand new art direction?

Fenr1r

Jul 28, 2016
Russia
Just wanna say that when Kern was at the wheel, FF was almost perfect PVE(!) game. There was not much what to do, few gear and stuff... but idea, atmosphere, gameplay concept, was great and right. So i think Kern know what need to do now :D

Anyway, we have a long road to go... again *sigh* And we will see what WE can make with our so loved universe.
P.S. I will really miss ArcLight :(

Ars Nova

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 28, 2016
The sandbox open world concept is great, I love the idea of being able to build a base wherever we want, and then having to protect it against the enemy. However, I hope there is some kind of protection against other players raiding, and against people building bases and then abandoning the game, (I suggest a claim system where armies claim an area, and if the entire army is inactive for ages, the area becomes "abandoned", and free for claiming, either by players OR enemies), and also a protection against bases that are just plain ugly.

Jul 26, 2016
Georgia, USA
sheri.bot
I LOVED the concept of pve and unique spawns that no battle would be repetitious in a sandbox environment. I loved open beta's Firefal literation where the stuff would be technical but there was a lot of dynamic customizations. The sandbox pve was what kept me playing even through the horrible horrible updates: Durability >.<

Jul 28, 2016
SE Washington
We learned from Firefall that designing a shooter for PvE and PvP simply don't mix. They might as well be two very different games. Ember is being designed for PvE. Later, if we add PvP, it will be very different from the frames you play in PvE. But that's a big if.
As a player of FireFall for the last 3.5years (Dec2012) I am seriously looking forward to Ember. Hopefully Ember doesn't go through all the agonizing re-works that FF did, we dealt with several different advancement systems, crafting systems. The parts of FF I really liked was the sandbox play and the characters mobility, and not being locked into the storyline or party play. Personally the FF battleframes really could have been loadouts instead of seperate frames, with no real classes, just a chassis with augmentations. I also enjoyed my time as a Mentor (FF IGN Bolv8rk).

Jul 28, 2016
idd firefall lost all of its charm later on. it was a pure grindfest for materials and levels. max XYZ amount of frames to get XYZ amount of skills you need to perfect 1 frame the way you want it.... wut?

but thats nothing new, same old grindfest/farmfest korean mmorpg stuff.

thumping was fun, until it got old rly rly fast. the general idea being awesome while missing some spark of life that should make it actualy interesting to repeat over and over.

just link in dune it should be super high risk with super high reward type of thing. not just a thing everybody does since its the best thing to do. or in some cases the only thing to do. becouse then it becomes a thing you MUST do in order to advance and not a thing you WANT to do.

from level 1 to max level/fully geared/op character its not about how much fun it is to FINNALY get to the point, but about how much fun it was getting to it.

Ember would be alot like SF type of Shadowbane(tm) if it went open world pvp.

Open world sandbox MMORPG with a focus on PvP = Shadowbane (should be like what 20y old game now?)
non made a better one. EVER.

GW2 was being used as a good example of somewhat dynamic events, and even tho they are pretty damn good they could be improved upon greatly. as doing a single dynamic event should be enough to continue onwards, not wait and keep repeating the same old events only to be strong enough to proceed.

character progress should be interesting and not repetative.

GW2 team also promised the highest rarity items being orange (which werent all that hard to get) while offering many different skins. making farming for equipment mostly necessary only if you wished for a certain skin.
In the end they broke that promise with "Ascended" gear which took lots of time and effort to make, effectively recreating the "max level xyz class with full xyz equipment looking for party" crap.

then if you wish to test out open world pvp, copy-paste shadowbane(tm).

Despair

Death Reaper
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Germany
www.jardras.de
I fully agree with your GW2 description.....i was very disappointed about the whole ascended item idea. They shouldve stuck to the gw1 item mechanics: Everyone will have the same stats, but we will create a load of skins to grind for. So everyone has the same chance in lategame but some people do have better looking gear :D

dukecrom

Lieutenant
Jul 29, 2016
The sandbox open world concept is great, I love the idea of being able to build a base wherever we want, and then having to protect it against the enemy. However, I hope there is some kind of protection against other players raiding, and against people building bases and then abandoning the game, (I suggest a claim system where armies claim an area, and if the entire army is inactive for ages, the area becomes "abandoned", and free for claiming, either by players OR enemies), and also a protection against bases that are just plain ugly.

Full ack! Good point. :)

I also played FF a lot, but then the game gets more and more boring, the BFs and the progression system became unclear/confusing/ not overseeable and every now and then more and more restrictions on whatever where implemented.
Wearout of gear without possibility to repair was one of it.... etc more later :)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Sure it sucks segregating the community like that
Doens't matter, the different "shards" we had in FF segregated the players anyway.

I'm more concerned with PVE and OWPVP needing different map-layouts to maximize enjoyment in both worlds.

Speaking of OWPVP. I'd go for planetside 2 like gameplay. 3 huge empires pined against each other on a planet or between multiple planets with FTL travel between them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
I remember in the early days how, despite a lot of community discussions and warnings about it, you guys talked about balancing pvp and pve together.

So i will say that if/when PvP comes, it should be balanced separately from pve. Its own stats, its own gear, its own skills, its own gameplay.

Cause as a player nothing bothers me more then having that situation of where my fun in pve gets destroyed because of a pvp balance patch.

The PvE player and the PvP player have very different mindsets, very different wants/needs, and trying to mix the two was a terrible idea.

Same for OWPvP. The PvE player will want certain protections, the OWPvP player will not want those protections in place. Why? For the OWPvP player the protections ruins their enjoyment, for the PvE player the OWPvP player ruins their enjoyment. If OWPvP was to come to Ember, it would need its own "world" server with warnings.

Sure it sucks segregating the community like that, but it does help prevent issues where you majorly anger one side of your playerbase in a balance patch while the other side is only not as angry.
When you try to please everyone...you end up pleasing no one.

Grammaton

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
Kyle, TX, USA
We learned from Firefall that designing a shooter for PvE and PvP simply don't mix. They might as well be two very different games. Ember is being designed for PvE. Later, if we add PvP, it will be very different from the frames you play in PvE. But that's a big if.
So, Grummz says quite solidly that they're not even considering PvP at this point and the very first reply to that sentiment was to try to convince him how they could implement PvP, followed by a discussion of PvP hijacking the thread. You people are kind of special, you know?

The man already said "No" to PvP!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
^+101

I personally hope to never see PvP in Ember. If it is there, make separate zones for it with the arena idea. It isn't a challenge, someone else had it right by saying open world PvP is a trollfest. Kern was a master at creating a setting for exploration, crafting and survival. I loved how Firefall played out with thumper missions and how the wildlife varied based on the zone/pocket you were in or how close to the melding wall you were.

In the beta days resources and crafting were the back bone of the game. I don't agree with DarkSabaton about thumping getting boring or the max gear this and that. In the beta days with the horizontal progression system you just simply couldn't put all 980+ rated resources into each piece of equipment. Constraints wouldn't allow it. You needed to tank certain metals or what not to balance this and had the depth and creativity to custom your frame to your specified play style. Unless we are talking about Armored Core, I have never gotten this application from any other game.

So when I think about the freedom of the planets surface, finding that rarest of rare mineral and collectively, with my friends, surviving the entire thumper encounter, I love the chatter of a chat program of rejoicing over the haul and prying tensed fingers from mouse and keyboard. Why would I ever risk that over the idea of someone being an ass and ganking us all at the most intense moment?

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
I just came a little.

Screw PvP, it demands "balance" that ruins PvE. I want PvE roles that are actually better in certain circumstances, forcing us to work together as a team to overlap one anothers' weaknesses and leverage the best we each have to offer.

Jul 27, 2016
Out of curiousity, how will you split your time between Ember and Orixia? Hire a sibling company to work on one or the other or divide resources? Very nice approach to PvE as a focus, I would love to see a full developer blog on FireFall that points out successes, failures, causation and such - I love that kind of thing and it's helpful for my studies. Keep up the good work Mark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.