****FireFall Forums ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Ask Grummz the cost of running an inhouse data center. Bandwidth may be expensive, but the power and cooling costs would make any normal person cry.
As for the amount of servers, I am assuming they arnt tin, but some kind of VM setup, capable of spinning up new servers for shards as required, whatever, this is NOT somehting that you can run on a high end computer.
My own PC has 16 CPUs, 64 GB of RAM and a few TB of SSD disks, specifically to allow me to recreate costomer networks. I doubt this would be enough to create most online games that involve any form for decent AI.
I am assuming the AI is handled by its own subsystem, have to get the G man to let us know, but that on its own is heavy duty crap. If Firefall was dead, the lights on the clusters would have been the first thing to be turned off
Provided everything is running as originally intended i'd agree with you, but it seems to me that they killed ton of the server functionalities, last time i heard of they had disabled all but a handful of shards and the ai was working hapazardly at best, that seems to match with what you've said in that what they couldn't run they cut off

Jul 26, 2016
Any chance you can cut the toxic shit out on the Firefall forums?
I cant even answer technical help questions for people without some muppit chiming in with "FF IS CRAP LOLZ EMBER!!"

You are making yourselves look like tools. Fine you want Ember to succede, giving it a bad name before its even got of the ground isn't going to help anyone.
Oh... I know who you are talking about. ... Reece and his many usernames.... that dude does what he wants and will listen to no one. It doesn't matter how many people try to talking to him(privately and publicly), he and others like him will keep doing whatever they like doing.

Just try to ignore them.
Engaging them doesn't help.

Sandsnake

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Oh... I know who you are talking about. ... Reece and his many usernames.... that dude does what he wants and will listen to no one. It doesn't matter how many people try to talking to him(privately and publicly), he and others like him will keep doing whatever they like doing.

Just try to ignore them.
Engaging them doesn't help.
Some kind of public statement that Reece has no affiliation, connection or authorisation from Ember, and is actively discouraged by Ember to do what he is doing?

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
Provided everything is running as originally intended i'd agree with you, but it seems to me that they killed ton of the server functionalities, last time i heard of they had disabled all but a handful of shards and the ai was working hapazardly at best, that seems to match with what you've said in that what they couldn't run they cut off

Yeah think if the entire system as an onion, or the layers of the onion.

THe AI "Layer" is totally separate and can be rebooted at any time (we'll reset)

With their current setup the most shards I have seen of a single area (say Sertao) is 5 totally different ones, I guess they hive off the instances and other smaller crap to a single cluster.

Wheres the German back end dude when you need him?

EXACTLY like schrödingers cat, you don't know if it's alive or dead until you look, but the action of looking can set of the reaction that kills it, much like the Firefall Steam page..
and when you WOULD go on the servers they can be alive if there is another person, or they cannot be alive when you are alone xD
but i read that they got shut down :D

Wheres the German back end dude when you need him?
do you mean me? ?(o_O)?

Jul 26, 2016
Some kind of public statement that Reece has no affiliation, connection or authorisation from Ember, and is actively discouraged by Ember to do what he is doing?
That only shows to people that actually visit whatever area that statement is placed.
So it helps in a small way.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
That only shows to people that actually visit whatever area that statement is placed.
So it helps in a small way.
I'm pretty much friend with (Keep reading, don't stop there) Reece and it seems as he tried tons of things to support ember, but after he got banned well, he didn't take it lightly.

Edit : Well I seem to actually be friend with kinda everyone, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Jul 26, 2016
I'm pretty much friend with (Keep reading, don't stop there) Reece and it seems as he tried tons of things to support ember, but after he got banned well, he didn't take it lightly.

Edit : Well I seem to actually be friend with kinda everyone, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
I was on the discord channel when he said some things there that got him banned from there.
It's temporary and gets let back in.
He went nuts against Kern, ember & the community for awhile during his temp ban.
He says somethings that gets him banned again and this time the Mods puts up a community vote. I voted for him and few others did too... but the majority of the community there was against it. So he didn't get in.
He went nuts against Kern, ember & the community for awhile.
Then he calms down.
Then he does something here. I dunno what.
He gets banned. And he reacts.

This pattern ain't healthy.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

you are a good friend friend :)

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Perhaps my thoughts on the games existence stems from the Mandela Effect? I was sure the thing died some time ago and Satan himself crawled out of Jun Zhu's ass to drag all their employees to their appropriate level of hell.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
As I recall firefall forums have ALWAYS been one if the most toxic environments ever. Dungeon defenders 2 has tried to copy this, sadly.

But yes, Reaper teams need to get the memo to leave the 37 people still playing firefall alone.

I mean....we have Nitro to pick on here already.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
My two cents on games dieing is that this pertains only to online gaming because servers can be shut down. Nothing beats the originals. I still load up emulators and get more enjoyment from 80's and early 90's games that I have from nearly anything in the last 16 years.

Multi player Secret of Mana anyone?

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
As I recall firefall forums have ALWAYS been one if the most toxic environments ever. Dungeon defenders 2 has tried to copy this, sadly.

But yes, Reaper teams need to get the memo to leave the 37 people still playing firefall alone.

I mean....we have Nitro to pick on here already.
I like being picked on. It just means you are constantly thinking about me. Just a warning though, when you are thinking about me, you have no idea what I am doing at the time. That means technically we shared that moment together.

Status
Not open for further replies.