The Argument for Armored Light Frames

DHYohko

Ark Liege
Nov 6, 2018
It is currently planed that all light frames have the pilot exposed but it feels forced rather than a natural occurrence of the tech or other similar limitation. After all it is extremely unlikely that some one would create a armored version that switches agility and shield strength for raw armor in terms of protection (also if shields fail and the pilot is exposed to the elements or hazzards anything could be fatal). To that extent i'd like to make the argument that there be some, maybe not many but some, Armored lightframes.

The way the light frames are currently designed the pilot is exposed 100% of the time, this means that there must be a strong shield to protect the user from both the Tsi Hu and from the elements.
L_frame04.jpg That strong shield will need a lot of energy that also feeds the rest of the systems meaning a powerful generator will also be needed (along with the above point of shields failing).

So what about a armored light frame?

nene_hs2040.jpg sylia_hs2040.jpg linna_hs2040.jpg priss_hs2040.jpg bubblegum_crisis.jpg
Above are the Hardsuits from Bubblegum Crisis (and 2040) (V2 on the left and V1 on the right). Glorious navel aside (it's some type of gel that covers there bodies) we can see that there is actual armor plates that would protect the user from attacks as well as keeping the pilot isolated from the environment . this would allow for the shield to be smaller and put les strain on the generator allowing for longer or faster thrusts while in combat since al the juice isn't taken up by recharging the shield.

just a thought on the current design.

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
Well, I think it's important to understand that this is a game and a work of fiction which gives a lot of freedom in terms of what we do and we can come up with almost any excuse or create any technology that will do what we want to do, of course it has to still fit within the world we're building.

We can say the Omniframes are using "6th Generation Shield Generators that use a newly developed PhotoMagnatic technology utilizing special magnetic fields capable of controlling the flow high energy dense photons in a way that creates a highly protective translucent layer of energy that protects the pilot from external damage" The Generator uses Faerite that as we know has a unique property that convers regular energy into the magnetic energy the generators use at a ratio of 1:14.7 and the higher the quality of Faerite you use the higher the ratio thus giving you more shield capacity, and of course you can also put better Ronynium Based Super Capacitors to deliver more energy to the generator to increase shield recharge speed

(I made all this up)

I think we put too much thought in how things would be if they were real, lets see how the game's development goes and what kind of explanations we'll get for how the science works in EM-8ER.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Above are the Hardsuits from Bubblegum Crisis (and 2040)
Those suits are very cool looking!

We can say the Omniframes are using "6th Generation Shield Generators that use a newly developed PhotoMagnatic technology utilizing special magnetic fields capable of controlling the flow high energy dense photons in a way that creates a highly protective translucent layer of energy that protects the pilot from external damage" The Generator uses Faerite that as we know has a unique property that convers regular energy into the magnetic energy the generators use at a ratio of 1:14.7 and the higher the quality of Faerite you use the higher the ratio thus giving you more shield capacity, and of course you can also put better Ronynium Based Super Capacitors to deliver more energy to the generator to increase shield recharge speed
This is good tech blabber can imagine a tech blabber for different frames and pilot g-suit like this

Shields are going to be important but when it comes down then armor is the other layer, are there ways to improve this for the player?

E.g.

Will there be different Armor tech such as fluid armor it may be good for somethings such as light projectiles and melee but for heavier damage weapons it would struggle.

The question becomes how much energy will the shield need and could the pilot redirect the power systems to prioritizing other things such as stealth, Speed, etc

Could that mean i am able to focus on the armor aspect or even an actual passive ability rather than the shielding would have shields at a lower capacity with a faster regen.

Full suited armor is a good thing too, also those that are not so if we have both we can decide what we prefer some love the energy shield and others love that hard shell style.

Guess it will depend on the situation and play style of the pilot!

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
My guess is the open portions of the light frame are protected by transparent shielding. There will also be a Hard Driver mode which should close it up giving a more armored look/feel. I wonder if that option will be ready for the KS Demo? Would be nice to see and have folks give feedback on it early in development. Though aesthetically...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Aug 14, 2016
I view the life omniframes more as exoskiletons rather than full on mechs. Because of this the suit the pilot wears under the armor is doing most of the protection against things like environmental hazards. And given that our pilots are meant to be space travelers I think the G-suits would be more than able to protect them from things like the cold and small weapons (remember in real life spacesuit have to also protect the wearer from things like micrometeorites and other objects moving many times faster than a rifle bullet in space.) as part of basic gear. Even more so if people did things like mining in space and also combat in space, so having extra armor and life support systems in the g-suits is logical. Meaning that the light omniframe itself is not really adding much protection but is given the pilots the abilities to move around and use larger gear on top of helping with movement.

Here are a few real life exosuits that exist today