Swimming in Em-8ER.

Jul 27, 2016
Underwater movement should be confined to specific instanced missions. It should not be part of the open world. Water in the open world, much like lava, should serve to provide a barrier and a danger during combat. The terrain, especially in a world like this, should be almost as much of a threat as the Tsi-Hu and their Kaiju.

Jul 27, 2016
No instances, pls. This should be an open world game, is not it?
The issue that arises with allowing underwater frames in the open world is that suddenly water no longer functions as a terrain barrier. Something Firefall did extremely well was present barriers to player movement that weren't arbitrary, they were explained by lore and logical. Water, for the sake of the game, must remain an open-world terrain barrier.

If you want to have underwater movement, the only way I see anyone getting it is in an instanced area where you are using a specially designed, non-mass-produced frame that is available nowhere else.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
The issue that arises with allowing underwater frames in the open world is that suddenly water no longer functions as a terrain barrier. Something Firefall did extremely well was present barriers to player movement that weren't arbitrary, they were explained by lore and logical. Water, for the sake of the game, must remain an open-world terrain barrier.

If you want to have underwater movement, the only way I see anyone getting it is in an instanced area where you are using a specially designed, non-mass-produced frame that is available nowhere else.
I actually don't care about swimming/diving at all. Instancing in a war game is rly bad idea. Lots of ppl gonna sit there while major invasions coming through. So if the idea is to make insts for swimming - I say double no. Both are not that necessary, even unwelcome at some point (speaking about instancing), so it's better to put more effort at some core stuff rather than bothering with this.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I actually don't care about swimming/diving at all. Instancing in a war game is rly bad idea. Lots of ppl gonna sit there while major invasions coming through. So if the idea is to make insts for swimming - I say double no. Both are not that necessary, even unwelcome at some point (speaking about instancing), so it's better to put more effort at some core stuff rather than bothering with this.
I'd rather not put in instances either. The only instance-like things I want to see are things like the old Baneclaw fight(where you had to craft an item to summon it in the open world). I don't see swimming having a place in this world, though. As has been stated elsewhere, Omniframes would need heavy modification to even begin to function in water, as would our shielding and geesuits. Not only that but we would have to terraform the water, which, from a lore perspective, is pointless aside from drinking, etc. There's no reason to go rummaging around in it.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Ice does not always mean water. From what Grummz has stated, the world is a mixture of lavaflows and frozen caustic chemical slurry. If you fall in that your going to die quickly. Any Dihydrogen Monoxide on the planet will probably have to be artificially produced which would preclude there being any large bodies of it for a long long time.

EDIT: also note that even inside the terraformed area's the temperature is still WELL below freezing, so again, no underwater.

EDIT2: just looked it up in the Em-8er history, the snow and ice is actually supposed to be sulfur dioxide.

Last edited:

Jag

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Mar 18, 2017
Ice does not always mean water. From what Grummz has stated, the world is a mixture of lavaflows and frozen caustic chemical slurry. If you fall in that your going to die quickly. Any Dihydrogen Monoxide on the planet will probably have to be artificially produced which would preclude there being any large bodies of it for a long long time.

EDIT: also note that even inside the terraformed area's the temperature is still WELL below freezing, so again, no underwater.

EDIT2: just looked it up in the Em-8er history, the snow and ice is actually supposed to be sulfur dioxide.
Yeah this post was made before confirmation of no current interest of swimming or about what the ice was actually made of.

Terraforming can always change this however but it all depends on their plans and Grummz doesn't seem keen on swimming.