suggestion for voice acting

Discussion in 'General Ember Discussion' started by zdoofop, Feb 25, 2017.

1. zdoofop

zdoofop Active Member

ok, so in almost all games, the voices are scripted to omit the name of the player, because there is no way to know what name the player would pick. But what if you didn't have to know?

Sounds impossible, right? Hear me out. Text to Speech technology has come a very long way. Even Siri, Cortana, and other such voices all use TTS technology. Here's the thing: they have to record the voices somehow. What if all your voice actors had to do was make TTS voices, then you took the player's name as input and had the appropriate voice just read it?

This has other long term benefits, such as if a voice actor cannot/will not continue. You don't have to find a new one, you just take the existing tts read the new script.

neonserge likes this.
  2. Torgue_Joey

Torgue_Joey Emberite -Death Reaper

XxxBiatchexxx / *server commit suicide*

Mike1978 / Hello Mr. Mike one thousand nine huntdred seventy eight.

l llll lllll ll / barcode anyone?

B A L R O G / Hello Bee Ai El Ar Oh Gee, we need your help

3. Nunaden

Nunaden Well-Known Member

we should use some semi synthesised voices, and a option for the player to give him-/herself a call name, and we will see who'S stupid xD

4. Terricon4

Terricon4 Well-Known Member

Or you can go this route... if you got the budget.

neonserge likes this.
  5. EvilKitten

EvilKitten Gatestrider

I think this would be great if our omniframes AI talked to you. The problem with TTS though is that it tends to lack the proper inflections and tones that is present in natural speach, so I don't think it would work for actual characters talking to you. Also with that said...some names do not deserve to be spoken aloud...

The other option could be that you choose a first name from a drop down list and then have to make a unique last name? The game can refer to you by the preselected name only. I don't think it would be too bad to record a couple hundred names?

6. zdoofop

zdoofop Active Member

I just talked to someone about this, and it turns out it's harder (and more expensive) than I originally thought. So please disregard the idea.