Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I love the stories in pve and wondered

If there was a choice to choose a side/faction, in one's eyes they see each other as bad but in their own minds they are good.

Who is to say the Tsihu etc think the reapers are bad for stepping over territorial grounds while the reapers and who ever see the others as hostile because of their aggressive stance.
They all fight for a reason but who is right?..... maybe there is some hidden agenda to it all that the real enemy has played them all and has not yet been revealed for the biggest surprise of them all!!!

For example if we had the choice of say

Reapers - Motivated by discovery and advancement
Tshiu - Motivated by Protecting their world from invaders and self preservation
Rebels/scavengers - Motivated by survival and opportunities

Each story path shows a different way of how they get there.
Some have inhabited the planet for centuries while others have just entered the planet!
What did they do? and why & how did the war start?, who is the instigator? was it a shapeshifter who turned into a reaper and fired at one of its own? Or was it the Elaborate plot of the rebels/scavengers who want to take the chance to steal the valuable tech/resource from either tsihu or reapers ?

The plot slowly unravels and so does the story... in a war, there is no winners but only those who survive be it luck or skill you push forward for its your duty to unravel what nightmares lurk!

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
i don't think there will be any story/campaign for a very VERY long time if ever unless we exceed crowdfunding by half a dozen millions or so, that said, from what i gathered the tshiu are almost as much of invaders as we are, from what i gathered from the lore their civilization is long dead and they're invading their own future planet from the past.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Aren't the PVE "story missions" less important in a sandbox style of game? I am sure we will have one but more companies are going to only using them for an extended introduction to the game rather then a long term aspect of the game. I guess it all depends on how Mark designs the game. Can he create an area of the game that feels alive with events that really are triggered based on our actions or are they static events that simply respawn at a set point with random variations in time? I would like to hope that things were going to be more dynamic and that there was an area of just all out chaos. Beyond that the enemy were in such numbers that you would be worn down and killed (slight variation on how the Melding did it) so that the area of contention never really ended but had an ebb and flow to it.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The intro to understand how it all came to be and the interpretation of each side.

With the actual story missions it adds to it personally i like it some might not!

The usual we come over here start a war etc that's dull just my opinion though
i am hoping the story would be much more interesting than just that!

This is just me thinking ahead, this forum is a pool of thinkers and tinkers
and doers

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
The intro to understand how it all came to be and the interpretation of each side.

With the actual story missions it adds to it personally i like it some might not!

The usual we come over here start a war etc that's dull just my opinion though
i am hoping the story would be much more interesting than just that!

This is just me thinking ahead, this forum is a pool of thinkers and tinkers
and doers
Then the story should be without a player protagonist, we're all just merc/soldier. Instead, an npc should be the "hero"

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
I hate personal stories in MMOs, i hate the "you are the chosen one, just pretend everyone else is not" bullshit
Agreed.

Also scripted stories have no place in a sandbox mmo.
I think those can work, as long as they are little missions with little stories on their own.

For example in FireFall at one point they had a beginner quest where you had to go and clean Arachna nests from Copa sewer vents, outside the city. Something like that is ideal for random mini quests system. It is not linked to any great story arch, but it makes sense in the relationship to the game's world, the bugs keep building their nests next to the warm vents causing them to get clogged, and someone needs to take care of the problem. It takes, maybe, couple boxes of text, a simple but fun voice over and a reward, to make boring action like killing basic arachnas, that much more entertaining.

I remember the bike racing track mini quest was very fun too.

They can add such fun little quests and missions all over the world as they move with the development, and those can vary in complexity, length, difficulty and they won't have to be linked or lead to greater quests or anything else. They can be there to provide pieces of the story to familiarize players with mechanics, npcs, enemies in a fun way.

They just need good writing and voice overs, and heck they can do them without the voices to start with, but it definitely helps to listen when it comes to immersion, as reading walls of text is not too particularly entertaining.

Last edited:

Phyrak

Death Reaper
Sep 11, 2016
Quests for crafting/refinements of materials as introduction and possibly for higher level blueprints and such?

Also - perhaps some quests giving the history of a specific omni frame or learning of prior reapers who used it to a greater extent?