Something similar to SIN (+ targeting and HUD)

Another thing that began bouncing around in my head, when I hit the bed, after coming home from my sixth night-shift in a row.

It began by me not being able to recall and wondering if thumpers had any visual cues on them, for the status of their health and how far the resource extraction was, besides both those floating stats above the thumper and on the player's HUD. Like, a red glowing bar on the side of the thumper turning slowly green or vice-versa for HP or for the progress of the thumping. Not that it would need such a thing, as the augmented reality the player character sees things through is the only visual-aid that is needed. And not only should it be over-used and abused, but there could be an entire skill or tech-tree based around it (same with gliding and jet-packing), using side-grade progression.

I don't how many people have actually used (or are using) the SIN-targeting function in FireFall, but I use it often. The perks based around it (auto-targeting attackers that hit the player, or adding them to the tracking when the player attacks them and even seeing them through walls) feel like a waste of perk bandwidth, however. But, I do often press the corresponding key I mapped to the SIN-targeting, to quickly spot remaining enemies that would otherwise be difficult to see, especially when it's dark or they're behind a melding curtain or spawn behind that black wall that is used for caves and doors.

Another thing I really liked about Firefall (and after playing TERA, I can see it's something, at least, a few MMOs share) is the way the HUD could be customized from the position of its elements to their size and color.

In Ember, one could unlock certain passive abilities that can expand not only the HUD, but the way it functions, especially in regards to targeting. One could enable themselves to track one or multiple targets, eventually even through solid objects. Show their weak-spots. Their elemental weaknesses or whatever damage type they'd be more or less resistant to. The distance they're at. Status effects. Alertness. Level of aggressiveness, whether they're hostile by default or docile. And, as another poster already suggested, since this network could be shared intelligence, it could be possible that if only a single player within a group had the ability, then staying near enough to every member, they could relay the information to the HUD of others. Maybe they'd need a node in their skill-tree to enable this connection or some other prerequisite all members of the group would have to meet to benefit from it.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Could be that mechs are the actual sin becons but portable so depending on the amount of mechs out there say you are in an army and could relay between your mech chums and cover areas better together.

Unless a mech gets wiped out before it enters the central part of the region to lock down and register the zone in its database!

Could be that mechs are the actual sin becons but portable so depending on the amount of mechs out there say you are in an army and could relay between your mech chums and cover areas better together.

Unless a mech gets wiped out before it enters the central part of the region to lock down and register the zone in its database!
A group effort. To explore areas, uncover secrets, gather information on the environment and the creatures there, then help new comers get their footing better, by feeding the info until they get their own sensors upgraded, so they can continue the cycle.

Jul 26, 2016
I honestly never used it. I don't think the AI or combat was deep enough to use a target marking system. Anything defaulted by it I wasn't aware that's what it was.

A universal link built into the MEK for some targeting system or information passing through interface notifications wouldn't be bad. Though I suppose it may depend upon how combat unfolds and its pacing. FF was a lot of spray and win and as far as abilities in the end spam and win, making marking pretty useless. Another modular item to modify and further customize is welcomed.

I honestly never used it. I don't think the AI or combat was deep enough to use a target marking system. Anything defaulted by it I wasn't aware that's what it was.

A universal link built into the MEK for some targeting system or information passing through interface notifications wouldn't be bad. Though I suppose it may depend upon how combat unfolds and its pacing. FF was a lot of spray and win and as far as abilities in the end spam and win, making marking pretty useless. Another modular item to modify and further customize is welcomed.
*MUST NOT GO ON A RANT ABOUT RECON SUPREMACY*

*FAILED*

*RANT*

Well... *chuckle*

It was only spray and win to all other frames, except recon and perhaps electrons. Frames that actually needed skill not just to aim but to stay alive and avoid damage, as well. :p The only thing recons have is the remote explosive that is strong enough to take out a group instantly. As far as I can tell, having leveled only recon frames, and now recently and electron, the latter doesn't even have that kind of capabilities. It needs some careful aim to eliminate threats and to stick it out. (And a recon who chooses a damn grenade launcher as secondary is a disgrace to the class.) Electron and lighter armored classes are automatically more difficult to fight and survive with. Especially if one immediately abandons turrets. I dislike those. So I don't even use them as fodder to draw fire away from myself. They are, however, useful for detection and can notify a player of the presence and direction of hostiles. *AN ACTUAL SEGWAY BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC*

So...players who prefer deployables might also like a skill tree dedicated entirely to upgrading the range, fire-power, sensors...etc. and even the look of their toys. Expanded sensor-range and functionality for the player.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
I brought up a similar point about targeting and tracking in a different thread about the tech tree. I proposed that if HUD info could not only be modified, but also shared through tech, then a TRUE recon role could emerge if handled properly, allowing one team member to specialize in high-powered sensors and detailed advance information for his squad and freeing them to focus their builds on heavier combat or other functions. The recon in Firefall is just 'the fastest guy with the highest damage weapon that actually has to practice his aim and not get hit.' Depending on the way enemies and situations are crafted by the game, such a role could go from completely superfluous to quite essential, adding a potentially interesting layer to squad dynamics.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Perhaps certain climate conditions effect targeting if it was for example an electrical storms etc
Then alternative means with the use of a light beam at night to locate even tracking prints,
to listening out for the subtle noise for example rocks crumbling as a mech moves relying more
on the senses.

Perhaps certain climate conditions effect targeting if it was for example an electrical storms etc
Then alternative means with the use of a light beam at night to locate even tracking prints,
to listening out for the subtle noise for example rocks crumbling as a mech moves relying more
on the senses.
Yes! I forgot to include weather effects. A myriad of them. Rain, acid-rain. Dense fog. Electrical storm. Ion storm (nerfs jetpacks if not outright disables them for the duration. And aircraft, transports can't take off, a la C&C Tiberian Sun. Might not be scientifically sound). Weather effects or even enemy attacks affecting an area, reducing visibility and messing up sensors.

Aug 14, 2016
Like I kept saying in FF, Recon is short for Reconnaissance. The class should be specialized in things like information gathering and sharing. This is way recons tend to relay on things like speed and stealth to do their job. Add that to fact, that they are often first people to go behind enemy lines they also have to be good at things like assassin and sabotage. A large part of being a good assassin, ninja, sniper, spy, and so on is your ability to geather as much useful information as possible, as fast as possible, and sharing that information with the people who need it as soon as possible.

A saboteur class name perhaps. Waypoints for single players are simply awesome, squad and platoon ones are great too. Having a intel buff that also aids other players nearby that a sab can sense enemy approaching from the fog of war would be a nice advantage in a group.
They'd have remote sensors as deployables. An early warning system if the task was to defend a certain area. Or they could use said deployables to not only enhance their sensory range, even through debilitating weather effects, but to scan for resources, ore veins...etc.

Aug 14, 2016
They'd have remote sensors as deployables. An early warning system if the task was to defend a certain area. Or they could use said deployables to not only enhance their sensory range, even through debilitating weather effects, but to scan for resources, ore veins...etc.
You could also use such sensors to help with targeting and aiming because you can use triangulation to pinpoint the enemy's range and location. This would also mean you can do non-line of sight attacks on enemies with things like high arcing attacks, or penetrating attacks (there are lots of guns and missiles that designed to punch through things like terrain, buildings, and heavy armor), or doing coordination attack (marking a target for allies to focus on them).

You can also use them to set up traps for enemies. For example, let's say there is an anti-vehicle minefield (people and animals will not set off the mines) but a group of human-sized aliens are walking around in the minefield. Even if you don't know where the mines are you can use the sensors to find the mines set them off when the aliens are within the blast radius of them.

Jul 27, 2016
Like I kept saying in FF, Recon is short for Reconnaissance. The class should be specialized in things like information gathering and sharing. This is way recons tend to relay on things like speed and stealth to do their job. Add that to fact, that they are often first people to go behind enemy lines they also have to be good at things like assassin and sabotage. A large part of being a good assassin, ninja, sniper, spy, and so on is your ability to geather as much useful information as possible, as fast as possible, and sharing that information with the people who need it as soon as possible.
Is that fun gameplay for people?
I kinda just picture Metal Gear Solid where you just sneak around and stuff, but it's very slow gameplay and not faced past action.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Is that fun gameplay for people?
I kinda just picture Metal Gear Solid where you just sneak around and stuff, but it's very slow gameplay and not faced past action.
Some people may enjoy it others not. Look at the Stealth-Genre alone... it wouldnt exist if people wouldnt like sneaking around, sabotaging stuff or getting intel.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I'm not sure how that fits into a fast paced FPS game but okay.
I think there could be a place for it i love the mgs titles and thief it makes the recon more purposeful instead of the usual sniping they have other things to do then.

It could be a special skill to unlock for someone who prefers to plays that way for infiltration and data gathering. Then another skill for say sniping and so on i like the idea that there is a choice for how folks can play that class it may be slower paced but the rewards could be nice unless your caught that is!!

Aug 14, 2016
I'm not sure how that fits into a fast paced FPS game but okay.
In shooter games and fast paced action games people who like stealth tend to play things like assassins, ninjas, sniper, spies, and tricksters. Stealth gameplay is only slow if you make it slow, you can do things like speed run with stealth. Hell, you can just look at games like Warframe as proof of that, but watch the players who know what they are doing as they speed run missions without setting off any alarms even without frames that do things like turn invisible. Although it is a matter of how much control the player can have over enemy A.I. behavior. So you can't have enemies with psychic powers to always know where player is at all times (part of the reason stealth never really worked in FireFall after they changed how abilities worked). People who like stealth gameplay also favor the use of tactics and like to out think enemies rather charge in head first guns blazing. For example in FireFall before they changed abilities worked I use to be able to run in grab mission objectives and run out without the need to fight because of stealth ability and knowing different routes in and out of some places. Or I could take back things like Watch Towers solo even if they were full of Chosen machine-gunners and executioners because I could control their movements and actions, to make them leave while I hacked just keep them confused as to what is happening.

Last edited: