So, what elements do you think will make Ember a spiritual successor of FF?

What must-have elements that will make Ember a spiritual successor of FF?

• Thumping - resource gathering

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Horizontal progession - an open world not seperatated artificially by levels

Votes: 40 80.0%
  • Art style - Cartoonish and realistic combined

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Combat system - Change class whenever you want/Freedom/Challenging

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Jumpjet - who dont love jumpjet

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • Customization - Cosmetics / Crafting / Min - Max / Addons

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • Melding - or territory control, push back enemy force

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Bastion - well, FF is one of few game that make Engineer play right

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • PvP -

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • What's missing? You tell us

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
Jul 27, 2016
I think most of you are missing the big picture, which is the war. The serious feeling that humanity is on the brink of extinction. That was always the main storyline and plot, which is what drove players to acquire resources and get stronger, to fight back and push back.

The feeling that you were in danger everytime you went into the open world, that's what is missing.

Instead we all ended up with non-alien hipster enemies wearing jeans and tattoos... The open world was too easy. There is zero threat.

There is tons of crafting and mobility in other games, so what is going to make Ember special and set it apart? I leave you with that question.

Jul 27, 2016
France
What's missing : The many mobility options. That encapsulates jumpjets, vehicles (LGV), gliders, (soaring-)afterburners, whatever other abilites, dropships, thunderbumping, etc... Obviously I'm not saying they should be copypasted from Firefall as-is. But mobility in Firefall was awesome and had lot of diversity, and a true spiritual successor should have that kind of diversity as well.

@DARKB1KE: I assumed that part was included in the "Melding - or territory control, push back enemy force" option. You are right on open-world being too easy though. I remember when it was hard to solo capture a tower. Good times, trying to take back the world with very little population at 4am :)

Last edited:

Captain Zius

Get Counted for Stretch!
Jul 27, 2016
CRAFTING! OMG CRAFTING.
Yes, FF is the only game that make crafting fun to me until they killed it.
The Customization option in the poll also includes crafting/min-max/.
I love how I could min-max stat with crafting in FF. Really really miss that.

Jul 27, 2016
Yes, FF is the only game that make crafting fun to me until they killed it.
The Customization option in the poll also includes crafting/min-max/.
I love how I could min-max stat with crafting in FF. Really really miss that.
Have you tried others? There's a million games with crafting now. Was it the sacrificing and restraints that you enjoy?

Jul 26, 2016
Texas
What DARKB1KE said. I really miss the TD/SH invasions and the consequences of failure. And Chosen Strike Teams coming in from the melding to take Watchtowers. Warbringers. And Death Squads of course, I could hunt those things all day (and vice-versa).

Not the mention the time I got hit on the head by a Crystite Meteorite. True Story.

Hostile Environment should be Hostile. If it wasn't, there would be an army of corporate wage slaves (or literal slaves) already looting the place bare.

Failure should be an option; and decisions should have consequences. Blow off those xeno raiders and there's now a radioactive crater where the base used to be. Get cracking building the new one.

Red

Jul 26, 2016
One of the things i loved the most about firefall was being able to change your class on the fly, it was amazing not having to create multiple characters for different classes and an idea you dont see dont in many MMO styled games i hope that is carried over to this

Jul 26, 2016
Texas
Yes that. The CPU/Mass/Power system and thumping make crafting in FF is the most fun for me.
Agreed. Losing gear constraints damaged Firefall for me almost as much as making it a level treadmill.

Was funny in a sad sort of way watching R5 not be able to comprehend that allowing gearing 100% epic gear with optimal attributes in every slot is not what min/max means, and inevitably creates a problematic degree of power differential. I'm sure there were people there that did get it, just not the ones cracking the whips.

Jul 27, 2016
Customization. That's a big one for me. Choosing the character's appearance, loadout, whatever.

I always thought there was a huge missed opportunity with customization in Firefall. Stuff like a custom flightsuit/outfits under the frame, since the frame components only partly covered up the character and the silhouette was still preserved. I was told that the models weren't designed to work that way though, made me sad.

This one's just me though, probably: I'm worn out on immersion-breaking silly hats. I could do with games that have fewer of those.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I want an open world, mobility heavy, shooter first game focused of skill based combat and true horizontal customization....and a dynamic mission structure!....with a crafting and resource collection based economic model that is built to encourage those core design goals as opposed to pulling away from them.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
I was sold on the Firefall for it's resource gathering/crafting, combat/movement, and easy frame/role swapping.. Any spiritual successor must have responsive combat, freedom of movement (jumpjets are a huuuuge plus), active resource gathering and crafting, and easy role/loadout swapping on the fly.

Jul 27, 2016
- Do you remember Thumping? I remember Thumping. I remember when Thumping was good.
- Crafting that meant something. Getting excited after participating in it. Etc.
- Unexpected asshattery; calling down a Thumper in a 'nado, rolling Baneclaw into town, totem poles.
- STAFF THAT WERE PARTICIPATING IN THE FUN AND COULD ACTUALLY SPEAK.

Those were the top four reasons I logged back in from time to time. Then the fun started going away, and the quest became a lame chase for a slot machine token. Eff that.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Consequences. It is one of the most difficult things to accomplish in an MMO because traditionally MMO's are completely static. One of the major problems with that is that the games are never designed to end, or to have an end. Instead they are designed to walk everyone down a path that ends in a loop. This approach precludes allowing anyone to walk off of the beaten path. I remember hearing that they wanted to make Firefall so that players could chose when and where to push the melding back, and that the world creators would react to that in kind. Providing players with Agency was one of the things that drew me to Firefall in the first place.