Resources and Modding In Game

Jul 31, 2016
I mentioned this back during closed beta, and I wasn't sure how well received it was, but the community here is fairly small (now) and the idea can be vetted properly. Also, for all I know, this might already be in the works.

A big misstep(IMHO) in Firefall's weapons/gear modding was the fact that you couldn't customize parts.

It seemed to me that being able to produce custom weapons was amazing. Being able to use resources to specifically change each piece of gear was pretty cool. But it seemed like the idea stopped there.

For a longer "grind" for supremacy per character, it would be really interesting to see if it would be able to unlock a tier of weapon that allows you to custom make pieces of said weapon. Barrel, scope, stock, magazine, etc. A Borderlands (we have tons of guns!) style of game play added. [they of course don't have tons of guns, they simply have tons of gun variants]

A longer/shorter/spiral barrels, longer, shorter, wider view scopes, different resources used to make different elemental magazines for each type of weapon, longer/shorter/softer/harder stocks.

Each having +/- effects on the overall weapon function. (magazines can give bullet tracing different color in flight). I'm sure this can be spread to shielding (elemental resistances), jump jets (duration, intensity, color) etc.

Also make the parts "swap-able" at each town/base. So instead of modding tons of different weapons, once you get to a particular 'legendary" level of weapon, you can simply swap the parts for whatever mission you happen to be running.

Maybe your assault rifle needs more punch and a scope for an assassination mission, the next, you need armor piercing elemental rounds.

Of course I wouldn't want any of these to be NECESSARY for completion, but being better equipped will make life easier, and it would give more of an end-game resource dump.

Just some thoughts.

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I mentioned this back during closed beta, and I wasn't sure how well received it was, but the community here is fairly small (now) and the idea can be vetted properly. Also, for all I know, this might already be in the works.

A big misstep(IMHO) in Firefall's weapons/gear modding was the fact that you couldn't customize parts.

It seemed to me that being able to produce custom weapons was amazing. Being able to use resources to specifically change each piece of gear was pretty cool. But it seemed like the idea stopped there.

For a longer "grind" for supremacy per character, it would be really interesting to see if it would be able to unlock a tier of weapon that allows you to custom make pieces of said weapon. Barrel, scope, stock, magazine, etc. A Borderlands (we have tons of guns!) style of game play added. [they of course don't have tons of guns, they simply have tons of gun variants]

A longer/shorter/spiral barrels, longer, shorter, wider view scopes, different resources used to make different elemental magazines for each type of weapon, longer/shorter/softer/harder stocks.

Each having +/- effects on the overall weapon function. (magazines can give bullet tracing different color in flight). I'm sure this can be spread to shielding (elemental resistances), jump jets (duration, intensity, color) etc.

Also make the parts "swap-able" at each town/base. So instead of modding tons of different weapons, once you get to a particular 'legendary" level of weapon, you can simply swap the parts for whatever mission you happen to be running.

Maybe your assault rifle needs more punch and a scope for an assassination mission, the next, you need armor piercing elemental rounds.

Of course I wouldn't want any of these to be NECESSARY for completion, but being better equipped will make life easier, and it would give more of an end-game resource dump.

Just some thoughts.
Good idea, it fits nice with crafting system I proposed :)
https://forums.emberthegame.com/threads/my-idea-for-weapon-crafting.163/

Jul 31, 2016
Pretty similar!

I did like the idea of different "vendors" or "origins" also give different characteristics.

For a while in Firefall, we could find Chosen equipment. It was typically stronger, but less accurate. It would be an interesting side quest to collect particular types of enemy weapons and research them toward reverse engineering.

For example: Each weapon can have one sub component collected from it (each weapon might have 4-5, but you can only pull one per unit to make the grind last longer) and say... 100 collected pieces. So if you wanted to reproduce a total Chosen weapon, you'd have to find 400-500 Chosen Assault Rifles to reproduce every part of that Chosen weapon. For independent pieces: You collect 100 Chosen scopes, and you can now produce a Chosen Scope for that type weapon. (sniper rifle, assault, LMG, etc)

This could also apply for Bandits, and/or weapon vendors. Each "gear vendor" has specific perks, that can then vary as per materials used to produce it.

OBVIOUSLY those probably won't be the name of the enemies, but the example applies to whatever.