quality of life options

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I think a simple hotkey that shows all HUD elements when pressed and then fades things back out when unpressed would be sufficient. Use that for a quick reminder of your quest and such. I think the only HUD elements that should always be on would be a minimap with compass, and groupmates icons when grouped. You don't even need an HP bar for your teammates, simply add border around their icon that changes colour from green down to red, flashing when they drop below say 20% HP. For those who are colorblind perhaps an alternate toggle that changes the opacity of the icon in a clockwork pattern, again with flashing border when they drop below 20% HP.
No flashing borders please, THAT SH*T ANNOYS THE FUCK OUTA ME. IN. EVERY. GAME.
Oh wait, you meant the border around the team mate and not the screen.

One button to show and fade out entire hud is bad idea. I'm not the only one who want health and energy be visible at all times. ammo, armor, gauge bar fading in and out are ok for us.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I think a simple hotkey that shows all HUD elements when pressed and then fades things back out when unpressed would be sufficient. Use that for a quick reminder of your quest and such. I think the only HUD elements that should always be on would be a minimap with compass, and groupmates icons when grouped. You don't even need an HP bar for your teammates, simply add border around their icon that changes colour from green down to red, flashing when they drop below say 20% HP. For those who are colorblind perhaps an alternate toggle that changes the opacity of the icon in a clockwork pattern, again with flashing border when they drop below 20% HP.
As long as I have the option to disable the HUD fade out sure.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Well perhaps have everything fadeout by default, but we could have a settings menu where you can manually set each HUD feature to fadeout or stay permanently visible.

and yes @Torgue_Joey, I meant a border around the characters icon not the whole screen. A pulsing border to tell you that a particular ally is critical on HP would be sufficient to let you know they need help (if they aren't already asking for it).

One button to show and fade out entire hud is bad idea. I'm not the only one who want health and energy be visible at all times. ammo, armor, gauge bar fading in and out are ok for us.
Well... its actually meant for screenshots, if you want to take them with or without hud...
and it doesnt have to be a button near any other button... f10 would be fine.

And i want EMMERSIVE RELOADING! A little thing that i would like to see in many shooters is... well... "step like reloading" meaning reloading with several phases. I actually hate kinda that i was middle in the reloading animation and i got to switch the weapon to kill an enemy, then i got to do teh reloading again... even when the character threw the empty mag already on teh ground and i should be able to stick the new mag just in.
And if we are already on it: "Playstyle" options of the character, like how he does certain things or what things he does generally, like if you reload, does he drop teh mag to teh ground or does he pack it back if it is still filled, something like that.

And HC servers pls! :D I don't want always running 'round on the normal servers, but also on servers where you need more skill and you got far more difficult enemies and e.g. the option, that your hud gets damaged, if they're not used on teh normal servers, or teh option is forced onto you if its just optional.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I have to say that is the first time I've seen someone refer to color-blindness and suggest a fix that would work for those that do not see they way we take for granted. must be difficult to rely on color of something in HUD, your way EvilKitten, sounds awesome. Thank You. I have a child that is colorblind and it amazing how they see our world, and the limits they experience. Oh yea, that child is 34 now.

Aug 14, 2016
Well... its actually meant for screenshots, if you want to take them with or without hud...
and it doesnt have to be a button near any other button... f10 would be fine.

And i want EMMERSIVE RELOADING! A little thing that i would like to see in many shooters is... well... "step like reloading" meaning reloading with several phases. I actually hate kinda that i was middle in the reloading animation and i got to switch the weapon to kill an enemy, then i got to do teh reloading again... even when the character threw the empty mag already on teh ground and i should be able to stick the new mag just in.
And if we are already on it: "Playstyle" options of the character, like how he does certain things or what things he does generally, like if you reload, does he drop teh mag to teh ground or does he pack it back if it is still filled, something like that.

And HC servers pls! :D I don't want always running 'round on the normal servers, but also on servers where you need more skill and you got far more difficult enemies and e.g. the option, that your hud gets damaged, if they're not used on teh normal servers, or teh option is forced onto you if its just optional.
I want to see a reload system that doesn't need me move out of iron sight/scope mode to do it. In real life, there are ways to quickly reload a gun without taking the gun off target to do so. In fact, this how many soldiers and some law enforcement (things like S.W.A.T.) are trained reload. Now, granted some style of guns and mag types change how fast and easy you can do this and therefore affects how effective it is. But I hate being things riflemen (scout/recon) and snipers who can't reload their weapon while staying sighted on the target.

But things like that mostly only effect players who know how to fight in real life, and if it is just small error many of them can ignore it. But it is things like that which always bugs me. It not really something that affects game play as far as most people know and care. It is just something that is somewhat immersion breaking at times. Game balance and fun are key, but there other ways to balance guns in games other than forcing me out of scope. But I feel this might be part of a different topic about combat and immersion.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I want to see a reload system that doesn't need me move out of iron sight/scope mode to do it. In real life, there are ways to quickly reload a gun without taking the gun off target to do so. In fact, this how many soldiers and some law enforcement (things like S.W.A.T.) are trained reload. Now, granted some style of guns and mag types change how fast and easy you can do this and therefore affects how effective it is. But I hate being things riflemen (scout/recon) and snipers who can't reload their weapon while staying sighted on the target.

But things like that mostly only effect players who know how to fight in real life, and if it is just small error many of them can ignore it. But it is things like that which always bugs me. It not really something that affects game play as far as most people know and care. It is just something that is somewhat immersion breaking at times. Game balance and fun are key, but there other ways to balance guns in games other than forcing me out of scope. But I feel this might be part of a different topic about combat and immersion.
I understad you. That part always irritates me when using snipers. I too have learned how to reload a rifle without lowering it or look what I'm doing long time ago. In games i rarely use iron sight or scope, except for snipers

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I have to say that is the first time I've seen someone refer to color-blindness and suggest a fix that would work for those that do not see they way we take for granted. must be difficult to rely on color of something in HUD, your way EvilKitten, sounds awesome. Thank You. I have a child that is colorblind and it amazing how they see our world, and the limits they experience. Oh yea, that child is 34 now.
Well beyond the fact that this is a quality of life thread, I think that any feature that relies on color must have an alternate solution for those who cannot see it or those who have trouble processing that sort of information. And it may be that even those who are not colorblind might prefer a different approach. While I do realize that adding more options does take time and money, additional reasonable options have never hurt a game.

Set.png

Just out of curiosity...this is sort of what I was suggesting (albeit the last one isn't animated). @Rawgi, What does your kid make of these?

Last edited:
I understad you. That part always irritates me when using snipers. I too have learned how to reload a rifle without lowering it or look what I'm doing long time ago. In games i rarely use iron sight or scope, except for snipers
WEll... i actually never learned how to use guns (especially 'Cause im pretty young (14) and weapons are disallowed over here in germany), but i know pretty much over while not having ever touched one. But i know that there are weapons that are "a bit" difficult to reload when aiming down the sight... like the Mosin(a)-Nagant that got a scope mounted... you can't use any fast loader and you got to put in every bullet one by one.
And im used to take down the weapon for reloading in games.
And i think the only weapon type i would keep up are assault rifles... if i got to reload a RPD i got to hind behind the next cover 'cause it needs fucking long till its reloaded.

But i think something that you would hate in CW is shooting with the SV-98... you got to lift teh weapon to chamber teh next bullet while all other BA-sniper rifles don't need to. xD It's the first sniper rifle, and the total rookie sniper gun :)

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
Raw mouse input
Direct numerical FOV input
Crosshair customization (including the ability to have one single crosshair across weapons or different ones for each. I don't use the latter but other people do)
Repositioning/turning off the gun model

The ability to turn off visual clutter is/should be expected in a PC title at this point, just like rebindable keys and exportable config files

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
WEll... i actually never learned how to use guns (especially 'Cause im pretty young (14) and weapons are disallowed over here in germany), but i know pretty much over while not having ever touched one. But i know that there are weapons that are "a bit" difficult to reload when aiming down the sight... like the Mosin(a)-Nagant that got a scope mounted... you can't use any fast loader and you got to put in every bullet one by one.
And im used to take down the weapon for reloading in games.
And i think the only weapon type i would keep up are assault rifles... if i got to reload a RPD i got to hind behind the next cover 'cause it needs fucking long till its reloaded.

But i think something that you would hate in CW is shooting with the SV-98... you got to lift teh weapon to chamber teh next bullet while all other BA-sniper rifles don't need to. xD It's the first sniper rifle, and the total rookie sniper gun :)
In Germany you need weapon permit+ 1mill bucks "Haftpflichtversicherung" lol
The request for permit went skyrocket since the "bombing" here in town

Raw mouse input
Direct numerical FOV input
Crosshair customization (including the ability to have one single crosshair across weapons or different ones for each. I don't use the latter but other people do)
Repositioning/turning off the gun model

The ability to turn off visual clutter is/should be expected in a PC title at this point, just like rebindable keys and exportable config files
I don't like "removing teh hud-guns"... it would be fine... but i don't really like it...
i actually prefer a "3rd-person camera in 1st person position"... it actually safes allot of memory that would have been needed to make different versions of one gun just for the HUD and for the game-world... And i would rather be able to look down my body than not seen more than my hands and a gun....

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
I don't like "removing teh hud-guns"... it would be fine... but i don't really like it...
i actually prefer a "3rd-person camera in 1st person position"... it actually safes allot of memory that would have been needed to make different versions of one gun just for the HUD and for the game-world... And i would rather be able to look down my body than not seen more than my hands and a gun....
I like being able to free up screen space for things I already know about. Health, ammo etc I leave up, and I also like having FPS and ping readily displayed. Even a speedometer if accel beyond walk/run/sprint is a thing, but the gun takes up prime real estate, and I like to either push it to the center or make it disappear

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Well beyond the fact that this is a quality of life thread, I think that any feature that relies on color must have an alternate solution for those who cannot see it or those who have trouble processing that sort of information. And it may be that even those who are not colorblind might prefer a different approach. While I do realize that adding more options does take time and money, additional reasonable options have never hurt a game.

View attachment 408

Just out of curiosity...this is sort of what I was suggesting (albeit the last one isn't animated). @Rawgi, What does your kid make of these?
Unfortunately my kid is a jerk and we have not spoken for quite a while. Also he is not computer savvy. I have another fiend that I will run this by and see how it is perceived by them. Amazing how the child compensated by watching what his other 3 brothers said was the color of a particular thing. We didn't know until a school test caught it

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Just a side note I have been told by a friend that was in the Guadalcanal fight and said they used a color blind guy as a sniper spotter as he could not see the camo and the sniper then had no cover, therefore becoming an easy target. I wonder if they still do that( use colorblind people to spot snipers )?