Poll: Customization through Crafting Resources or Modules?

Modules, Resource-Based Customization, or something else?

• Modules

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Resource-Based Customization

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Both?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Other(Explain)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I just want to know what you guys would prefer for this game;

Crafting Resources would be the customization system seen in any pre-1.0 firefall. This means the quality/type of resources one puts into their gear while crafting determines the stats and attributes of their weapon.

Modules would be anything after 1.0 firefall, with a hint of crafting resource customization in the form of prefixes.

Which one do you like more?

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
honestly with horizontal progression i'd hope we'd be able to do away with the concept of gear quality altogheter, i'd prefer a pure module sistem but i wouldn't mind different resources producing equipment with different stats so long as the "total" stays the same.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
honestly with horizontal progression i'd hope we'd be able to do away with the concept of gear quality altogheter, i'd prefer a pure module sistem but i wouldn't mind different resources producing equipment with different stats so long as the "total" stays the same.
I didn't mean to imply verticals progression, resources could do things like "increases rate of fire, lowers damage" or "adds a heat mechanism with increased damage on high heat" etc. Just the idea that the resources that you put in your weapon determines how your weapon works out.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Not the best choice of words. What you're really comparing is presets vs fine customization. I really think this should be up to the developers though, depending on which system they think they can properly maintain. To me, that's the bottom line. A balanced gear system is more important for customization than the actual number of options.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Can I be the man with the golden gun? lol

But really as long as the element stats matter more than the weapon stats. For example lead is a heavy metal but blocks radiation damage, gold is a soft metal but is a good electric conductor.

In real life elements don't don't add anything like plus +1 damage or +2 defence. And this is where the real weapon smith mastery will come into play. As people who understand how real weapons work would be able to make changes to the weapons to best fit their own personal playing style or make weapons to best fit other people.

Last edited:

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
A balanced gear system is more important for customization than the actual number of options.
I agree with you.
This poll is pointless if we dont know what concept of balancing is behind it. Balance system pre-1.0 was good and unique and you was able min-max between Mass/Power/CPU, it can be done both with Modules and with Resources-based customization.
I personally prefer Resources-based customization, because it will always have more options than modules.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Hypothetical:

1. Lets say power curve is 2.5 times base as the max (ex: 100 pt base damage will max at 250 pts). Lets say you can only get up to a third of that from crafting (ex: 100 pt base damage will max at 150 pts from resources), the other pts can be gained from other areas of the game (support skills/gear, character personal improvement web, being "in the zone"-activities in game) so that no one area will outweigh another and you won't have to max everything to get to max. The quality of the resource dictates the pt increase of the modification (ex: low quality-base pts; mid quality-10 pts, high quality-20 pts, very high-30 pts, epic-40 pts, legendary-50 pts). Gear itself has a quality based on the resource quality it was crafted with, but that won't directly effect the stats. Gear quality would effect the # of stats that can be modified (ex: low quality-one stat, mid quality-2 stats; high quality-3 stats; etc)...but...for every 2 stats that are modified you have to pick a stat that it's base drops below the base by say 10-20% (ex: high quality shotgun - modify damage plus rate of fire after which you chose range for the lower stat then you modded magazine size. If range base was 50 meters, then it drops to 40-45 meters.).

2. Modifications wear out and have to be replaced/changed. Gear never wears out but has a repair cost. The quality of the modification and/or gear adjusts the wear out time - say 2 hours of playtime for low quality modification in low quality gear as a base. For each quality above low on either will add 15 minutes of time (ex: high quality gear and mid quality modification - or vice versa - would have 2 hours 45 minutes of time before the modification wears out and needs replacing). Wear and tear is calculated by performing activities in the game, not standing around chatting at the crafting station.

Alfonso

Commander
Jul 29, 2016
It should be both. (Forget about modules in FF, that was just poorly designed)

When you want to use resources to customize your weapon, what are you going to build first? I am sure that won't be a complete new weapon. It will be replaceable parts and that is what a module is.