Players claiming land/renting servers

Do Player Rented Zones Interest you for Em-8ER?

• Yes

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am undecided its an interesting idea and here are some thoughts

What if the servers is a place for specialized Clan headquarters a home that couldnt be affected think of it as a safezone and storage bank.

You could have a pet area and other things such as your own events you could make that wasn't in the main server e.g racing events.

Could make a race event announce it to the group or public group if it was public server.
They would head over have a race winner would be handed some credits that came out of their bank or whatever reward is set. Though it wouldn't be extreme otherwise it could be abused and not all rewards could be passed.

You could even have a crafters coalition where all crafters could hop in and showcase their creations and help each other out even to buy or trade certain things.

I think that if the main server has an attack there is a risk of the private and other servers getting attack so it is the best interest to help the main server. Sometimes you may find a few that go through to the other server but it wouldn't impact you as much since the rewards and such are less in the other server than the main server.

What i think is once the game is focused and made well the idea of other servers could be a future idea since we all like to have a wonderfully made game first and add all the additional nice to have things after so that it doesn't get over saturated and poopy

The thought of servers and planning is a nice to have.

All i am thinking of is if there was additional servers it be more suited for:

- A home/ safezone
- Fun events
- Bank for storage
- Social area
- Pet Gathering, parties etc
- Lower resource, or enemies than main server so it would take 50 years to cheat
- Unique landscape than main server
- Main server affects all connected server in some way e.g. slowing down crafting etc etc
- testing out weapons in a holographic area and set a pvp mode if you wish

Having a server is like having your own little island can do some things you couldnt do but the main server is going to have the most action and is Important to all!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Unless the player zone idea is a clear win and easy to explain, it's not going to be worth doing. So far I don't think the idea is easy to explain and the negatives worries seem to outweigh any coolness factor the idea might have.

Right now there I see a lot of people posting concern and there is only 41% for and 59% the reset undecided or no.

Again I want to stress that no actual development is going into this, as it's "just talk" and not really taking up much of anyone's time or energy. I brought the idea to you *very early* as if you guys were devs in the same office with us, and I was walking around canvasing people's opinion on a "what if" idea. Please don't read too much into it. It's more of a casual pitch we would make around a water cooler in the office. This is also an experiment to see how early we can engage community for ideas, which gamers never get to see.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I say no.

I see too many good questions, no good answers.

I also wonder, if the incentive is to make server public, why allow people to privatize them at all?

also, can one person own more than one plot of lant? if so, what's to stop one account from buying up all the land and charging a premium for access? I can just imagine TheNein swooping in and doing just that.

Myst

Archon
Ark Liege
Hypedration
Aug 19, 2016
I don't know if I like the idea of player servers exactly as described. If we could pay for a small plot via real money for the instanced base we can customize as you said Grummz, with it basically being a community/army/guild/clan hub, that would be nice.

Basically, like PandaGnome said:
- A home/ safezone
- Fun events
- Bank for storage
- Social area
- Pet Gathering, parties etc
- Unique landscape than main server for events like races that are vastly smaller than main servers
- Main server affects all connected server in some way e.g. slowing down crafting etc etc
- testing out weapons in a holographic area and set a pvp mode if you wish

And have it be a safe space so that lower level players can learn at their own pace with mentors and such.

Idk if this is already planned for the Ark cities in orbit though.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Unless the player zone idea is a clear win and easy to explain, it's not going to be worth doing. So far I don't think the idea is easy to explain and the negatives worries seem to outweigh any coolness factor the idea might have.

Right now there I see a lot of people posting concern and there is only 41% for and 59% the reset undecided or no.

Again I want to stress that no actual development is going into this, as it's "just talk" and not really taking up much of anyone's time or energy. I brought the idea to you *very early* as if you guys were devs in the same office with us, and I was walking around canvasing people's opinion on a "what if" idea. Please don't read too much into it. It's more of a casual pitch we would make around a water cooler in the office. This is also an experiment to see how early we can engage community for ideas, which gamers never get to see.
I hope we can see more of these. Even if in the end they get shot down, it is good to have a line into what you are thinking/planning. Here is a thought...

Could players elect voluntarily to defray server costs for an "official" region that would be expanded on as part of the natural game movement? Sort of like how highways often post signs about groups who help keep an area clean. They don't own the highway, they don't get to driver any faster on it, but they are helping out and getting a mention for it. Maybe some of the benefits you mentioned for this idea could be implemented in that way. Perhaps a special skin/decal could be given a player for as long as they are supporting a zone. I think that would bypass the whole "private server" that people seem to have latched onto.

So:
1. Sponsored zones are still part of the official server, and are sponsored after they are naturally created by player actions.
2. Players don't get any additional "rights" to the zone beyond bragging rights and bling to show they are a sponsor.
3. Multiple sponsors can be made on a single official zone up to a certain limit (determined by how much that zone costs to keep operating), meaning no one person has to be responsible for the full cost of that zone but can contribute as they desire. Certain minimum's would be required to receive bling, or it can be a tiered reward.

Sturgeon General

Base Commander
Jul 5, 2017
USA
It is an interesting idea to be sure, however like my peers I am concerned that it strays from the game's thesis and could potentially have a negative overall impact on community and gameplay. While other games have implemented similar systems (and I think this could be a cool and worth while addition in the future) this idea cannot be effectively added to EM-8ER until the core game and community has been established.

TheFoxTango

Deepscanner
Sep 24, 2018
I think people are missing the point of it. IN EVERY GAME WITH PLAYER HOUSING there is almost always something you are paying for with real money to access it. This is player housing on steroids!

Final Fantasy XIV requires a sub for housing
Archeage required Patron
DC Online requires an expansion
etc

The EXP and Resources would be limited to not effect world economy
Game Director would influence size of raids so players would not be overwhelmed.

The idea is a clear win for me, but I feel like people have misinterpreted the implication of the system.

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
Gumzz kinda pointed out it wasn't housing on steroids.

I think people are missing the point of it. IN EVERY GAME WITH PLAYER HOUSING there is almost always something you are paying for with real money to access it. This is player housing on steroids!

Final Fantasy XIV requires a sub for housing
Archeage required Patron
DC Online requires an expansion
etc

The EXP and Resources would be limited to not effect world economy
Game Director would influence size of raids so players would not be overwhelmed.

The idea is a clear win for me, but I feel like people have misinterpreted the implication of the system.
In chat he answered that question that it was not like player housing on steroids. TBH, too little information has been given to form a clear image of what their actual purpose are.

It seems more a cost-effective way to expand the world.

Most people would be fine with player/guild housing but the way it was pitched was that it was more about adding playable real estate.

To many questions at the time of what these servers purpose are and how they tie into the overall game.

A detailed description is needed preferably with pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

TheFoxTango

Deepscanner
Sep 24, 2018
Gumzz kinda pointed out it wasn't housing on steroids.

In chat he answered that question that it was not like player housing on steroids. TBH, too little information has been given to form a clear image of what their actual purpose are.

It seems more a cost-effective way to expand the world.

Most people would be fine with player/guild housing but the way it was pitched was that it was more about adding playable real estate.

To many questions at the time of what these servers purpose are and how they tie into the overall game.

A detailed description is needed preferably with pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

You are wrong about that. And we won't get it probably because the server architecture is being developed now and needs to plan for a feature like this now. RUINED because of wild speculation that can't see the forest from the trees.

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
You are wrong about that. And we won't get it probably because the server architecture is being developed now and needs to plan for a feature like this now. RUINED because of wild speculation that can't see the forest from the trees.

No, it was specifically asked if this was player housing on steroids. His reply was " how is this player housing on steroids?".

But all is up in the air at this point. I personally would like that feature myself.

Again, all up in the air, so. Long term potential goal, all subject to change.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
There is alot of great ideas/feedback & as Grummz mentioned

Again I want to stress that no actual development is going into this, as it's "just talk" and not really taking up much of anyone's time or energy. I brought the idea to you *very early* as if you guys were devs in the same office
I already feel like we are part of the team :cool:

Wouldn't it be cool if it was implemented to see the various servers available, some crazy, some empty some even a piece of art with strange landscape and sculptures etc. Sure i guess they will have to limit how many one can own because of abuse and not being fair for the others too.

Spoke to some of the kids at work what they love is stories and crazy skins in games and it got me thinking. What if each server had some sort of story lore specific to their server that tied up to the main server so visiting other servers was not just because it was different but a story to understand how they became part of the world of em8er!

I like stories personally it gives a meaning to the game and each folk with their own story expands on the main story and that leads to server events specific for that e.g a underground area with dim lights
you would have to explore and find clues to creating a special key. When the key is made you must look for the entrance but the underground is vast so you decide to tap on the walls and eventually hear the tap sequence back!

Then it opens and you are blinded by a light what is this, its a disco tiki torch, the undergrounders pick you up and pull you in followed by the sound of the distinct music! You are woken up by a sound and follow it humming louder as you get closer then it goes dark then the floors begin to light up in a circuit like pattern and a pet appears it greets you "Hello Survivor, the owner is away but you may explore as you please. Here are the things you can do here bla bla bla"

Anyways i did tick the undecided because wasn't sure how it could pan out, honestly though its good we are having such planning and idea sharing early to see the views and thoughts of everyone.

Now my thought is how confident is Grummz in making this happen? The work speaks for it self so if it was a big thumbs up from all with full support could we see a few test servers and how it would work?

Kassatsu

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jun 13, 2017
Interesting, and certainly appealing... But we might wind up with more servers than players (like a lot of old Half-Life mods and such).

Perhaps have a restriction on who can rent a server based on guild size, or what level of package you bought from the kickstarter/milestones (as well as factoring in something like how long you've played the game and maybe even how much you've paid but there's a fine line between "p2w server ownership" and just being a random cosmetic whale). A single player by themselves shouldn't necessarily be allowed to rent a server unless they have a good reason (For instance, they're a popular content creator that actively plays the game). A large guild of 50+ players that are active daily shouldn't even really need to give a reason to rent a server and should automatically be 'allowed'. Maybe simply alter the price based on player activity and guild size to prevent lone randoms from renting their own server and inflating the number of 'dead' servers for no reason. I suppose using a combination of automated (guild size + weekly hours) and manual approvals for server renting could work (smaller guild but super active, well known and will rent a public server).

What happens to the server's resources and world tier if it goes down? Is the 'world tier' global across all servers and just sort of a combined 'level'? How would that affect tsi-hu and kaiju attacks on servers with tiny bases and low population? The community instantly losing a large base in its entirety and all of the associated resources and tech levels because someone forgot to pay their monthly fee is kind of... Not good.

Community (or guild) run servers, where people effectively crowd-fund them could work in theory, as long as there's an active player base to keep them up. Maybe incorporate it into the subscription system somehow. For instance: Basic subscription that just has the cosmetics and other perks, premium subscription that has that plus puts the difference in price between that and basic towards a 'community' server, and a server-only subscription where you can put as much or little as you want towards it to fund a server (and nothing else).

Also, how about reserved guild-member-only slots on public servers being rented by a guild or individual?

EDIT: Just to make it more clear, I'm definitely in favor of this sort of thing, provided it's done right. I have no idea what doing it 'right' would entail.

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I voted that I was interested, because it sounds really interesting.

However, all the thoughtful comments pointing out the potential problems make me think that not doing it initially would be wise.

Can the game be designed to have this as an option down the road?

MAIN POSITIVES to me

1) As the player base grows, it lets the world expand and over time loads of server specific things made by creative players could really be wonderful.

2) Unleashing the creative talent of the entire player community in a way that ALL players can visit ALL the servers would be really fantastic.

3) I can see that tons of creative opportunities could be left to the players (under the universal rules). If players could do some terrain manipulation, biome placement, even encounter frequency/placement... All that could be under the universal rules, but all that would allow for huge and varied interconnected landscapes. Wow! Wonderful!

MAIN NEGATIVES to me

1) All the doubts and worries raised by others. Essentially, I worry that it would be too hard to implement for those various reasons and distract from making the game in the first months/quarters/years.

Sayan

Firstclaimer
Nov 18, 2016
The drawback I see is that whatever activities players can do in custom zone are going to be seen less in the shared world. If you create incentives for other players to come to such zones, that means that they compete with main zones for player attention and population. Does it not go against the vision of dynamic world that constantly need player involvement to increase tech level and defend or reclaim bases?
I'd prefer that If players/guilds could be set in charge of customization of zones in the shared world (can't be set to private, easy to discover, amount proportional to overall world progress). But if not, then private zones sound okay as long as they don't take too much population out of the world.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
I'm interested in this, because the opportunities that this can bring to the game, as many as said here before.
But I’m concerned too about the valid worries of the community.

Could Mr. Grummz gives some feedback about the positive feedback of the people here, on how this could be made and things like that?
And could Mr. Grummz also gives some feedback about the negative feedback and ways to mitigate the “bad” parts?

This could help the community to see what Mr. Grummz want or mean with this idea.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
suppose using a combination of automated (guild size + weekly hours) and manual approvals for server renting could work
My only thought is what if someone was sick or had a lot of work even holiday?
The hours of game time could vary in these circumstances but so can family time too!

Community (or guild) run servers, where people effectively crowd-fund them could work in theory, as long as there's an active player base to keep them up.
That's an interesting option to have.

What happens to the server's resources and world tier if it goes down? Is the 'world tier' global across all servers and just sort of a combined 'level'? How would that affect tsi-hu and kaiju attacks on servers with tiny bases and low population? The community instantly losing a large base in its entirety and all of the associated resources and tech levels because someone forgot to pay their monthly fee is kind of... Not good.
Just my guess think it would still effect the other servers since the main server is the heart of the game. Other servers would still manage depending on the damage inflicted on the main server it could be much slower even stopped worst case to do things on the owner's server. The emphasis of working together on the main server is vital for everyone not just the server owners to keep Em8er universe thriving.

Let's say someone forget to pay their monthly fee the crowd fund option could take place for an outsider to help even someone in the group. Perhaps a small time extension could be put in place an extra 24hours or something hmm. The only other thing could think of is a loan where you can go to a secure area and get a loan with small interest so the longer it is you have not paid the interest is capped at a certain number but never liked loans its just an emergency option :O

The drawback I see is that whatever activities players can do in custom zone are going to be seen less in the shared world
Perhaps if the dev's someday went on an adventure visiting custom zones and thought hmm that looks fun maybe something similar could be added to the shared world, would it be worth it lets ask the community.

If you create incentives for other players to come to such zones, that means that they compete with main zones for player attention and population.
I think not everything can be added otherwise the servers lose their unique appeal perhaps certain things cannot be done on their server that the main server has because the risk of reducing population too from the main server. It would still hold its quality and things such as Sim wide events primarly would aim at the main server or opening up newer gateways and unlocking secret maps, main server events etc etc just my guess!