Orbital Comm Tower Recreated in UE4

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Updates to the archived thread will be posted here.

::::::Version 2.0.1 Download:::::: Windows 32 & 64 bit
***2.0.1 hotfix*** properly sets the terminal hack resolve timer to 15 seconds rather than 3. Apologize for any inconvenience.

::Version 2.0::
+ All Battleframes now have at least 6 or more abilities to choose from.
+ Loadouts are available to customize each class and switch easily.
+ Pressing the default button TAB will highlight the current location of the objective in world space; look around to see a red beacon.

Steam is Required for Online Play. The Steam App ID used to run the online system is Region Locked. Therefore in order to connect with a host computer, set the Steam Download Region to the Host player's region. Do this by opening Steam, click Steam on the top menu > Settings > Download > Download Region.

Within the game Menu I have suggested hosting on regions US Washington and GER Frankfurt. If players wish to host in a different region they'll need to communicate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
:Update for the project:

I will be releasing 2.0 next weekend, July 28th, 2018 regardless if I can play or not. It has been "complete" for about two weeks now and has been sitting on my hard drive because I haven't found time. Recent real life career improvements has consumed my time thus I do not know when I'll find time. Therefore I will relinquish my hold on the game next weekend.

During the testing phase(s) it has become obvious that my computer is showing its age. I do not know the minimum requirements for this game. My computer plays just fine however I do not believe my computer is powerful enough to Host. (AMD 6core 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, GTX 570gpu)

List of known issues and programming concessions:
- Steam is required to play globally. Additional brief instructions are listed inside the game. Local play does not require Steam at all. I do not have the sanity to create a dedicated server program nor the funds to invest into Steam or to break away from it.
- Keybinds to change movement to anything other than WASD is not possible under my knowledge because of the foundation I started from.
- Jetpacks were the bane of this project. I have done what I could to make them as consistent as possible. *praise Firefall for having smooth and consistent jetpack functionality*
- Colorblindness for shades of blue may be a problem.
- Moving while Reloading does not have an animation.
- Crouching while Reloading does not have an animation.

::Version 2.0::
+ All Battleframes now have at least 6 or more abilities to choose from.
+ Loadouts are available to customize each class.
+ Pressing the default button TAB will highlight the current location of the objective in world space; look around to see a red beacon.
+ General bug fixes and optimization

Here are some videos of the most recent test session because people asked previously.

Medic helping Assault destroy a Turret defending the objective

Assault vs Assault

Assault vs Dreadnaught

Thank you for taking interest in my project; I am flattered.

P.S. I will release the source project someday. If a community emerges I'll support it the best I can with balances and whatever else I can do.

Last edited:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
im glad to have found the update on this, sucks that there aren't people around to play it though.
thanks for taking interest in the project.

I'd be happy to find time to play even if it's more of a deathmatch than an objective game. ....I could slam together a deathmatch map because I know the OCT spawn locations are rather far apart but I ponder if the code will bug out if I were to add a new map...I'm unsure if some of the player pawn code is tied into the map rules (novice mistake).

As for further news on this project; to no surprise the project is at a stand-still. Long-winded-story short I froze production of the project until my lifestyle change settled to a mostly predictable routine. I have been dabbling on other smaller projects in the mean time and learning about inventory, tech trees, and other stuff. All this new stuff I've learned will help me if I decide to actually "remaster" the game to be more optimized and give players more customization to their battleframes such as a drag/drop for abilities and customizing them directly rather than the 2.0.1 system; you know, just like Firefall had.

The 2.0.1 build was my first ever game and there are a few workarounds in there that gimp continued upgrades. Remastering the project wouldn't be too rough because much of the content already exists in 2.0.1. The biggest obstacle would be to create a dedicated server as I believe it takes some C++ knowledge...which I do not have, however there are youtube tutorials on how to make a dedicated server.

I can't promise a remastered version but it's on my mind every time I visit Ember. I was thinking about releasing the source material in the near future as promised for anybody to look at and learn from.

If anybody would like to play a game rally a group or PM me here or on Discord under the same name and avatar. I'm on Pacific timezone and usually around by 6pm except on Thursdays when I mountain bike with a group. I don't always log in every day so future plans allow me to plan ahead too.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I finally took the time to upload the source material for anybody who wants to peak and learn. Apologies in advance for the messy scripting; for a first time ever scripting it's alright :rolleyes:

You'll need Unreal Engine 4.16.3 or newer to open the content.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2ti292sgru0s/Orbital_Comm_Version

In other news and I may have mentioned it elsewhere, I'm working solo on a separate project(s) to learn how to better build games in my spare time. Firefall pvp still burns in my heart but it would be unruly to promise anything. At this current moment I'm learning how to handle gear, stats, ect by creating a Top Down game like Titan Quest or Diablo but of course keeping my scope small (K.I.S.S.)

*Notes for UE4 first timers interested in downloading the source material*
+This project will open on the Main Menu map which is black and empty.
+Running the game from the engine in Pie will not allow traveling between maps. It will load from the Main Menu to the Lobby Map but will not load to the next map when the Start Session button is clicked.
+Once you've created a user name on the Main Menu within the game (Pie or Standalone) you can close the windows, open the map OCT_33 in the Editor then re-launch in Pie; this will load the save data you created on the Main Menu.
+Opening the game in Standalone Mode will have better computer responses but it will not be multiplayer in Standalone Mode.
+When starting the map OCT_33 and for some reason the game gives you a character without showing any HUD on the screen, shoot the ground to suicide your character and that will respawn you in 15 seconds with all the HUD goodness.
+What I learned most for my first created game that I would do differently now: put information in the Player State, create Structures, create Enums, Ignore_Actor_When_Moving, Do Not Create A Bunch Of Actors All At Once (e.g. bullets, use smoke & mirrors instead), there is a difference between GameMode and GameModeBase