Old, overlooked firefall idea: In-depth tuning

HumanTrainingBot

D-Gater
Ark Liege
Oct 26, 2016
I've read through most of what's here, and I would like to post the impressions I'm getting from the two sides to see how close I am to the truth while also trying to clarify the different view points. When I use quotes (""), I am not actually quoting someone. I am stating what I think is the essence of a core belief or thought process.

@Beemann is looking at single mechanics separate of each other and weighing the value of each mechanic.
@Ronyn and @Daynen are looking at how those mechanics are applied, introduced, used, or interact with each other within the story, setting, or world of the game.

Beemann "Does this mechanic work well?"
Ronyn and Daynen "Does the mechanic interact well with other things?"

Beemann "Reward based on skill/effort."
Ronyn and Daynen "What is feels rewarding to do?"

These are just impressions. I welcome any corrections and clarifications.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
These are just impressions. I welcome any corrections and clarifications.
Hmm. The nature of conversation is unpredictable. Often the initial message one intends to send out get's somewhat lost among the back and forth, point and counter point. Then there are portions of me trying to rephrase or re-explain Daynen's points to Beeman in hopes to bridge the gap there (successfully or unsuccessfully).

If anything, what I've been personally trying to get across that we have to accept that different folks come at things differently to get a clear understanding. It's best to look at each mechanic both on it's and in how it fits into things overall. Both what it takes mechanically and how it feels to the player. etc. Looking at it just one way is flawed as one will no doubt miss something vital. Additionally I've been hoping to get folks to examine the true how,why, when,where we view these things in hope it would broaden our views. Then, hopefully, apply that wider view to another's style of expression. Ideally this would help us understand each other instead of getting bogged down by terms over substance.

Of course my part in this thread began as a statement about customization. To which I maintain that it, like so many other features, can be implemented in many ways. It has its positives and negatives. It has its fans and detractors. It has its audience, but isn't for everyone. I believe it is a trade off. You gain something from adding it just as there is a cost to do so. Ultimately, it may help a small team achieve their goals or it may hurt them, depending on that team and project in particular.

Team Em-8er intends to employ customization of a sort. We believe it is good for this project.