• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Jul 27, 2016
Balancing should exist to a point. If one weapon type out of ten is being used by half the players, it's necessary to take a look at the others and see what the issue is. Obviously that's an extreme scenario, but it's applicable. Balancing should be done to make sure that all weapons and abilities have a place in the game where they're viable. Not that the developers should dictate in what build those things are viable, but they should ensure that nothing is so strong overall that it shoves out other picks(ie an assault rifle so good that it pushes out a grenade launcher in a pure aoe build because the grenade launcher is undertuned, in this case the launcher should be buffed and the rifle nerfed) from where they should be strong.

I'm not against good builds, or builds having synergy. I just want every item to be useful and have its place such that it can fit in a build and be a viable option.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Quick balance idea would he to look at the %s of lowest used weapons and abilities then add an element specialty to them and either certain enemies, zones or some form of encounter that would make them extremely relevant in. My two cents at least.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Quick balance idea would he to look at the %s of lowest used weapons and abilities then add an element specialty to them and either certain enemies, zones or some form of encounter that would make them extremely relevant in. My two cents at least.
Honestly, I think that approach is just sloppy and will often not address any real problems. The reason why balance is hard is because you need a deep understanding of the game while not being out of touch with people that don't have as much experience as you do. Simply slapping on a bonus for weaker equipment is likely to just be insulting to people that really want to use that equipment. It would be like if a car mechanic replaced your tires when you really need the A/C actuator fixed so you don't freeze in the winter.

Just chipping in. I think if each weapon/piece of gear has a high enough trade off, it helps with the balancing issue. This seems obvious but often when there's such a diverse amount of equipment, items can be forgotten about. A dedicated team of balancers can focus on keeping things in check.

Damage is often a stat that the majority will strive for but there should be various ways of generating high damage, each with their own weak points. For example a build that focuses on AoE damage could have low fire rates and low ammo count. A build that focuses on high dps would have a high fire rate but maybe overheats quickly and has high recoil. Likewise for healing builds, tanks builds and so forth.

As long as a certain build or even individual item isn't forgotten about, it shouldn't become obsolete. Again, it seems obvious but I feel like it's easy enough to forget about the less used items.

Just my thoughts.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
To lessen the load on balancing numbers manually why not just automate it.
No. Automation like this is never a good idea. It will make everyone always hate everything about other players, themselves, their class, the developers, the game, the universe, ...

This is a bad idea, and you should feel bad.

Wait, your first name is "Mister"?