Module ideas For EM-8ER

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I decided This forum topic would be best as it probably will contain great ideas usable in the future for the game, and since the topic would disappear in the general discussions of the forum if it was posted there, i think here would be best.

After asking Grummz if he'd like some help for module ideas for the future (and for redeeming myself for not being able to donate on this milestone), he gladly accepted and suggested that i'd make a thread about ideas i'd have, and here they are, In all honestly, It took me 2 hours to come up with all of those ideas AND write all of their descriptions, this doesn't count making the thread. I have obviously inspired myself by multiple sources and such, but i completely came up with most. Those i didn't come up with were heavily modified to fit into EM-8ER. I also put in parentheses what i think should be restricted to said omniframe. I'll add any other ideas I come up with here.

Remember people, some stuff may not seem scientifically accurate but we're making a video game, focus on scientific reality doesn't bode well with that.

With that said, here's everything i've come up with in those 2 hours :

Berserking module (Omniframe bound)

This module injects the pilot with a shot of adrenaline, while also rerouting the power used in the omniframe's armor towards melee weapons, highly increasing damage dealt at the cost of higher damage received. A module perfect for Light onmiframe users who specialize in dual wielding melee weapons.

Shield charge module (Shield bound)

This module can be applied to a Heavy omniframe's shield, giving it a one use explosive charge, said charge makes an explosion in front of the shield, damaging enemies in front without harming the wearer. The charge can be refilled at cities.
(and no this module does not make the omniframe charge forwards, it's the shield making an explosion to put it in a simpler way)

Mounted heavy weapon module (Omniframe bound(Heavy and Medium Omniframe bound?))

Self explanatory, this module adds a heavy weapon on one of the omniframe's shoulder, can have multiple.

Cluster mortar rounds module (Weapon bound)

This module changes the single explosive round of a mortar to split into multiple smaller rounds in mid-air before impact, allowing for a larger area of explosion while lowering individual target damage.

Last stand module (Medium Omniframe bound)

This module renders the omniframe indestructible for a few seconds by rerouting power from multiple systems to the omniframe's armor, allowing it to stay functional for an extra few seconds. During a last stand activation, the omniframe's movement speed is highly reduced and jumpjets are turned off.

Instant Jumping module (Light and Medium Omniframe bound)

This module propels the omniframe upwards by a few meters, good for avoiding a melee attack. Jumpjets can be used after activating the jumping module. (this is a highly improved jump, it's not the basic jump put into a module)

Heat recycling module (Omniframe bound)

This module allows the pilot to survive a bit longer while outside of liveable areas, a good module to escape situations such as failed city defenses that lead to the area becoming unhospitable to human life again.

Anchoring module (Omniframe bound)

This module Anchors the omniframe to the ground, rendering it unable to move or use it's jumpjets, jumpjet power is then rerouted to armor and weapons, increasing damage resistance while also lowering weapon recoil. A good module for snipers or heavy weapons with high recoil. Be wary of enemies coming into melee, it'll be harder to escape! You are an easy target while using this module.

Advanced Anchoring module (Heavy Omniframe bound)

This module is a heavily modified version of the Anchoring module, when activated, the pilot will be unable to move and use his jumpjets, due to much higher energy requirements to use this module, the damage reduction is removed along with the recoil bonus. The omniframe will instead generate a shield bubble around itself, protecting him and fellow pilots inside the bubble from ranged attacks. Tsihus can still pass through the shield and attack in melee.

Self EMP module (Medium Omniframe bound)

This module rerouts power from all systems to itself, Creating an EMP blast around the omniframe, it will then be offline for a few seconds before restarting, this is very usefull if you happen to be surrounded by Tsihu, turning off their ability to escape, this reduces your chances of survival though, it probably would be a wise choice to use this with a Last stand module.

Nanite mosquito swarm module (Light Omniframe bound/Healer weapon bound?)

This module releases a swarm of Nanite mosquitoes, repairing nearby friendly omniframes and slowly damaging Tsihu beasts in the area, A good module to have for pilots specializing in Repairing teamates. And no, those won't suck your blood.

Tsihu hunter module (Omniframe bound)

This module injects the pilot with a "special cocktail", designed specifically to find/easily keep track of Tsihu creatures, the injected pilot will then be able to see Tsihus with a red glow, and also give the ability to see Tsihus through walls and solid matter. This module finds greater efficiency while in cities, and to notice a Tsihu ambush before walking into it.

Retreating module (Omniframe bound)

This module rerouts power from the weapons towards movement systems, Making the omniframe much faster and more agile but disabling weapon systems. As the name would suggest, this module's primary purpose is to escape from a bad looking battle.

Pattern module (Medium Omniframe bound)

This module gives the omniframe a small boost in a system of the pilot's choice, Changing pattern lowers the omniframe's overall systems performances for a few seconds,
This module is designed for experienced pilots who knows the right moment to switch to the ideal pattern depending on the situation.
(pattern name suggestions : Movement focus=Hunter / Jumpjet focus=Scout / Ranged damage focus=Soldier / Melee damage focus=Warrior / Armor focus=Tank)

Tacticomm module (Omniframe bound)

The Tacticomm modules allows direct communication with military operatives charged with the duty of defending each city, Having this module allows the player to call for a dropship strafing run, bombarding an area designated by the pilot, this ability is only available when attacking or defending a city and takes longer to become available again when attacking.

Mini Nuke strike module (Light omniframe + Sniper rifle bound (module needed on both))

Ah, the Mini Nuke which has been talked about so much, here's my idea for a good way to make it work, and make a good Starcraft Ghosts reference at the same time.
This module can only be activated if equipped on both the light omniframe and a sniper rifle, it is only available when defending a city and a tier 5 Kaiju arrives, only one mini nuke may be called down per level 5 Kaiju to avoid overexposition to radiation and to limit damage caused by it.
When access to the use of a mini nuke is given, A Sniper defending the city will be able to target the Tier 5 Kaiju and lock onto it, locking the target after a few seconds.
After being successfully locked onto, a message will be broadcasted to all troops and pilots in the area (Nuclear launch detected?) and a mini nuke will be launched, at this moment, pilots and troops are to get to heavy cover or leave the area entirely. Not long after, a mini nuke will fall from the skies and hit the Kaiju, most likely killing it along with all other Tsihu creatures near it.
Most of this is theorical, just a suggestion from my part. Grummz is free to approach this however he wants, just like everything else here.

Warlord module (Medium Omniframe bound)

This module gives bonuses to other nearby omniframes, such as Extra damage and such. This module has it's own self charging power reserve, so it does not need to draw power from some of the omniframe's systems.
When ready to use, the pilot can make his omniframe pull the Warlord module out of his socket and into it's hand, then activate it, causing an energetic blast around the omniframe. All other omniframes hit by the energetic blast will have a surplus of power available, boosting themselves with the Warlord's chosen boost. Pilot will then put the module back into it's socket to let it recharge, has a long cooldown.

Falcon module (Medium omniframe bound)

The Falcon module was designed for team leaders, much like the Warlord module. It functions the same way, But instead of making a blast, the Omniframe will point the module in the direction of an enemy of the pilot's choice, said enemy will then have been scanned for weaknesses, all players nearby will also receive a marker on said enemy, who will become the main target and have a slight increase in damage taken for the marker's duration. The pilot also slots the module back in after use, with a moderate cooldown time.

Reinforcement beacon module (Medium omniframe bound)

This module consists of a deployable flag with a beacon integrated inside it, Players who died will have the ability to be dropped into battle by dropship near the beacon, allowing for quick reinforcements and the ability to go right back into battle instead of having a long walk there. Very long cooldown with fair duration.

Nanomechanic module (Light omniframe bound)

This module's purpose is simple and precise, taking control of turret or such defensive contraptions using nanobots which come from the module's core, the Nanomechanic has the ability to do so by going up to a turret or such and taking control of it, after leaving control of an enemy turret, it will be deactivated, making anti-air turrets useless for exemple.

--Modules past this point were not made in the said 2 hours and were added after.--

Custom Grenade Module (Omniframe bound)

This module gives it's user's Omniframe a pack of 3 grenades, said grenades can only be refilled at cities and have a very unique function to them. You can choose the type of explosion you'd like them to make before throwing them. (a few exemples : EMP mode, Anti-armor mode, Frag mode)

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
So when the game is launched and maybe have a starter NPC shop for first upgrade gear from basic, your ideas can be ironed out and implemented into the shop right? Because I, for sure, will take one of each of the heavy omniframe options. Good read dude. Grats.

On a side note, when I read Tacticomm, am I alone when I had the Goliath's voice from Starcraft saying Go ahead TACCOM?

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
So when the game is launched and maybe have a starter NPC shop for first upgrade gear from basic, your ideas can be ironed out and implemented into the shop right? Because I, for sure, will take one of each of the heavy omniframe options. Good read dude. Grats.

On a side note, when I read Tacticomm, am I alone when I had the Goliath's voice from Starcraft saying Go ahead TACCOM?
Now that you said it i can't get it off my head either, didn't think about it before. dangit. Well thanks a lot for reading! And about those ideas being implemented, it's all up to the big boss.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Some interesting ideas. Made me think of some others. I noticed a lack of good mobility ones in yours (I really like mobility or such focused alterations/options in games). Running away is okay, but I like more ways to mess around in combat or to truly do something... unique, and not just be faster.
Bolt On Capacitors:

A module gives a frame 5% extra power storage/regen. In addition it can be used to release a large amount of energy in order to shock enemies in the nearby area, and to boost energy regen on nearby allies by a small amount. Doing so will however reduce the players power regen rate by 15% until it's off cool down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Durability Jet Systems:

This module allows the omniframe to effectively charge its jet systems without activating them, as the more durable design won't be destroyed in the process and can handle the strain. If the player is stationary, crouches, and holds down jump, they will remain planted on the ground until they release jump. For the entire time they held jump they will be consuming energy for their jets as if they were flying, and upon releasing the frame will rapidly kick off and it's jet systems will fire explosively, rapidly launching it into the air at far higher speed than normal through one sudden burst of speed. A frame can jump a bit higher than it could otherwise jet with the same amount of energy, and will be less vulnerable to hostile fire while ascending do to it's faster rate, but is vulnerable on the ground while charging making it a situationaly dependent module. If the player holds down for the jump for too long beyond reaching full charge, they will cause temporary damage to the jet systems reducing their recharge speed by 30% for the next ten seconds, so timing is also important.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seismic Sensors:

If the Omniframe ever crouches and stands still, it will plant a sensor on it's leg into the ground, allowing it to use a sort of sonar. The player will see pulses rapidly move out from their location every few seconds, each one returning a visible/audible pulse when it hits a hostile. This has a very long range and can be used to identify enemies over smaller mountains through terrain, however you are unable to tell anything other than the rough size of the enemy from the return along with its location.

Enhance Combat Mobility:

This module allows the player to initiate a leaping charge attack with their melee weapons in order to quickly close the final bit of range. If the player taps the space bar at the same time as their melee attack button, the frame will make a very rapid lunge in the target direction allowing them to quickly close range. This wont actually attack itself, or trigger any attack cooldowns. The player will tap the melee button a second time when they want to attack with their given weapon, or not at all if they are simply using this module to dodge. This module builds up to three charges of use, has a two second cooldown between uses, and a 12 second recharge time for the charges.

Smoke Launchers:

This module can be activated to fire out several small smoke grenades that will explode and cover the local area in smoke. Any This will block line of sight, and enemies firing at players inside of it will take an accuracy penalty based on how far into the smoke they are, up to outright losing track of the player. Smoke takes about ten seconds to dissipate from an area. This does not interfere with HUD positions for friendlies or equipment, so it can be used to cover a friendly player who has lost their frame while running for cover or into their new one.

Unmovable Object:

A heavy frame with a shield can take this module. It allows the frame to raise its shield and project an energy barrier/extend armored plates to provide coverage from a single direction to the omniframe and any friendlies behind it. The frame cannon fire its gun while doing this, and has movement reduced to 10% speed. No jumping or flying can also be performed while active. For the duration, the omniframe will be able to block shots to friendlies behind it with its shield, but is not invulnerable itself. Rather, dmg that hits the now larger hitbox shield will transfer 5% of the dmg to the owning omniframe. Hits to other parts of the omniframe deal full normal dmg.
This module can allow a player to provide temporary cover for something when needed, but long term use under heavy fire will be deadly as they are still taking some dmg and now a larger stationary target.

EDIT: Also, funny story, my nic actually comes from the Goliath in SC. I just had REALLY bad speakers when I was younger so I misheard it and that's where I got "Terricon4" from.

Last edited:

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Some interesting ideas. Made me think of some others. I noticed a lack of good mobility ones in yours (I really like mobility or such focused alterations/options in games)
Bolt On Capacitors:

A module gives a frame 5% extra power storage/regen. In addition it can be used to release a large amount of energy in order to shock enemies in the nearby area, and to boost energy regen on nearby allies by a small amount. Doing so will however reduce the players power regen rate by 15% until it's off cool down.

High Durability Jet Systems:

This module allows the omniframe to effectively charge its jet systems without activating them, as the more durable design won't be destroyed in the process and can handle the strain. If the player is stationary, crouches, and holds down jump, they will remain planted on the ground until they release jump. For the entire time they held jump they will be consuming energy for their jets as if they were flying, and upon releasing the frame will rapidly kick off and it's jet systems will fire explosively, rapidly launching it into the air at far higher speed than normal through one sudden burst of speed. A frame can jump a bit higher than it could otherwise jet with the same amount of energy, and will be less vulnerable to hostile fire while ascending do to it's faster rate, but is vulnerable on the ground while charging making it a situationaly dependent module. If the player holds down for the jump for too long beyond reaching full charge, they will cause temporary damage to the jet systems reducing their recharge speed by 30% for the next ten seconds, so timing is also important.

Seismic Sensors:

If the Omniframe ever crouches and stands still, it will plant a sensor on it's leg into the ground, allowing it to use a sort of sonar. The player will see pulses rapidly move out from their location every few seconds, each one returning a visible/audible pulse when it hits a hostile. This has a very long range and can be used to identify enemies over smaller mountains through terrain, however you are unable to tell anything other than the rough size of the enemy from the return along with its location.

Enhance Combat Mobility:

This module allows the player to initiate a leaping charge attack with their melee weapons in order to quickly close the final bit of range. If the player taps the space bar at the same time as their melee attack button, the frame will make a very rapid lunge in the target direction allowing them to quickly close range. This will actually attack itself, or trigger any attack cooldowns. The player will tap the melee button a second time when they want to attack with their given weapon, or not at all if they are simply using this module to dodge. This module builds up to three charges of use, has a two second cooldown between uses, and a 12 second recharge time for the charges.

Smoke Launchers:

This module can be activated to fire out several small smoke grenades that will explode and cover the local area in smoke. Any This will block line of sight, and enemies firing at players inside of it will take an accuracy penalty based on how far into the smoke they are, up to outright losing track of the player. Smoke takes about ten seconds to dissipate from an area. This does not interfere with HUD positions for friendlies or equipment, so it can be used to cover a friendly player who has lost their frame while running for cover or into their new one.

Unmovable Object:

A heavy frame with a shield can take this module. It allows the frame to raise its shield and project an energy barrier/extend armored plates to provide coverage from a single direction to the omniframe and any friendlies behind it. The frame cannon fire its gun while doing this, and has movement reduced to 10% speed. No jumping or flying can also be performed while active. For the duration, the omniframe will be able to block shots to friendlies behind it with its shield, but is not invulnerable itself. Rather, dmg that hits the now larger hitbox shield will transfer 5% of the dmg to the owning omniframe. Hits to other parts of the omniframe deal full normal dmg.
This module can allow a player to provide temporary cover for something when needed, but long term use under heavy fire will be deadly as they are still taking some dmg and now a larger stationary target.

EDIT: Also, funny story, my nic actually comes from the Goliath in SC. I just had REALLY bad speakers when I was younger so I misheard it and that's where I got "Terricon4" from.
You've got some great ideas, but don't you think some are, a bit too complicated like some stats are too specific, This game is gonna be based on skills but not THIS much right? Oh and knowing you terricon, i'm sure you were keeping all of that on a side note ready to be throw out as soon as someone made this thread eh? Sounds just like you to be ready for everything, a true warrior's talent!
Side note : I'm sure we've all heard some things differently while we were young, but good to know your username's origin.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
You've got some great ideas, but don't you think some are, a bit too complicated like some stats are too specific, This game is gonna be based on skills but not THIS much right? Oh and knowing you terricon, i'm sure you were keeping all of that on a side note ready to be throw out as soon as someone made this thread eh? Sounds just like you to be ready for everything, a true warrior's talent!
Side note : I'm sure we've all heard some things differently while we were young, but good to know your username's origin.
Actually I just made them on the fly, though some of them are loosely based off of existing ideas.

And my thoughts were that the capacitor would be a mainly passive one just used in emergencies, but I figured it should cost something to get an extra AOE ability on a frame, so a temp regen cost seemed appropriate since I wanted it to not just be a completely passive module. I don't like completely passive things in most cases.

Others seem fairly straighforward, I just tried to provide some specifics for my ideas on how powerful/costly/etc they were with numbers. Simplified, jet ones lets you charge to jump into the air quickly. But if you just sit on it and don't time or predict at all the enemy then you'll incur some type of penalty (could be removed but I like the idea of penalties when you fail to use something properly).
Shield just makes you slow but highly dmg resistant to the front, seismic sensors is like an ultra long ranged minimap with a slight delay. And smoke is... well, smoke.
And the charge one just gives you a dodge/leap ability of sorts like from many hack and slash games, but with a basic cooldown/limit on it so you can't just spam it to run around the map super fast like a ninja (though that would be awesome and cool looking).

EDIT: the zealot charge/leap could also just be done with double tapping a direction movement key, but from fighting and other games I prefer a simultaneous key press over a double tap as it's faster, and there aren't any single keys likely lying around just for this.

Last edited:

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Actually I just made them on the fly, though some of them are loosely based off of existing ideas.

And my thoughts were that the capacitor would be a mainly passive one just used in emergencies, but I figured it should cost something to get an extra AOE ability on a frame, so a temp regen cost seemed appropriate since I wanted it to not just be a completely passive module. I don't like completely passive things in most cases.

Others seem fairly straighforward, I just tried to provide some specifics for my ideas on how powerful/costly/etc they were with numbers. Simplified, jet ones lets you charge to jump into the air quickly. But if you just sit on it and don't time or predict at all the enemy then you'll incur some type of penalty (could be removed but I like the idea of penalties when you fail to use something properly).
Shield just makes you slow but highly dmg resistant to the front, seismic sensors is like an ultra long ranged minimap with a slight delay. And smoke is... well, smoke.
And the charge one just gives you a dodge/leap ability of sorts like from many hack and slash games, but with a basic cooldown/limit on it so you can't just spam it to run around the map super fast like a ninja (though that would be awesome and cool looking).

EDIT: the zealot charge/leap could also just be done with double tapping a direction movement key, but from fighting and other games I prefer a simultaneous key press over a double tap as it's faster, and there aren't any single keys likely lying around just for this.
Much easier to understand, at least for me. Gotta say there's some good ideas. But the charged jump thingy, isn't it just a harder to use/time well compared to my Jumping module?

Jul 26, 2016
Uhm there is an concept that the character is able to leave the omniframe right?

if that actually comes to fruition then perhaps a modules that fires the pilot out of the omniframe with different effects?

So like one that fires a pilot out and
  1. turns them invisible for a short time.
  2. gives them a limited ammo pool or limited time with a weapon that is closer in damage to the omniframe than of the pilot weapons.
  3. smokescreen ejection
  4. poison gas ejection
  5. etc.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Uhm there is an concept that the character is able to leave the omniframe right?

if that actually comes to fruition then perhaps a modules that fires the pilot out of the omniframe with different effects?

So like one that fires a pilot out and
  1. turns them invisible for a short time.
  2. gives them a limited ammo pool or limited time with a weapon that is closer in damage to the omniframe than of the pilot weapons.
  3. smokescreen ejection
  4. poison gas ejection
  5. etc.
Sure, but here's the hard question, Where do you put the module on the pilot? No. Not there.
As for other modules like throwing smokescreen and stuff, sure, i guess terricon's smokescreen will do. But yeah can't turn the pilot invisible, there's no way to do it.

Jul 26, 2016
Sure, but here's the hard question, Where do you put the module on the pilot? No. Not there.
As for other modules like throwing smokescreen and stuff, sure, i guess terricon's smokescreen will do. But yeah can't turn the pilot invisible, there's no way to do it.
Pilots aren't hooked into a omniframe naked are they?

Give the pilot suits modules as well.
Basic module is an pistol/assault rifle/shotgun.
Non-basic ones takes away the weapon for things like invisibility, longer burn jetpacks, grenades, etc.

Sure Mark said that we wants us to be able to customize the pilot to show off a player's individuality but I'm thinking if that possible, then having a something like this would able be possible.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Pilots aren't hooked into a omniframe naked are they?

Give the pilot suits modules as well.
Basic module is an pistol/assault rifle/shotgun.
Non-basic ones takes away the weapon for things like invisibility, longer burn jetpacks, grenades, etc.

Sure Mark said that we wants us to be able to customize the pilot to show off a player's individuality but I'm thinking if that possible, then having a something like this would able be possible.
Who knows, Grummz should be back very soon on Discord as i post this message, suggest this to him when he returns.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Much easier to understand, at least for me. Gotta say there's some good ideas. But the charged jump thingy, isn't it just a harder to use/time well compared to my Jumping module?
Okay, your jump is like a slow upward jump, normal, that is then suplimented by the jetting in to the air. Mine is like Saito from One Punch kicking off from a surface. There's a single sudden bang and you have a massive initial exceleration. You reach your end altitude in a far shorter period of time as it's from initial blast off like a cannon round as opposed to a continuously propelled missile. And unlike your jump, this could potentially launch you a good 40ft into the air.

Think of it as like a charged jump that has the power/feel of using crater in Firefall, but it launches you into the air instead. Different feeling, bit higher end altitude, and makes for a far harder target to shoot while you are getting said altitude. Since we'll be going after big kaijus, possibly needing to get on top of them, I like the idea of moving sort of like the launch pods in BF2142 when used to attack titans, quick and direct, hard to intercept, when compared to flying up via helicopter or such.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Okay, your jump is like a slow upward jump, normal, that is then suplimented by the jetting in to the air. Mine is like Saito from One Punch kicking off from a surface. There's a single sudden bang and you have a massive initial exceleration. You reach your end altitude in a far shorter period of time as it's from initial blast off like a cannon round as opposed to a continuously propelled missile. And unlike your jump, this could potentially launch you a good 40ft into the air.

Think of it as like a charged jump that has the power/feel of using crater in Firefall, but it launches you into the air instead. Different feeling, bit higher end altitude, and makes for a far harder target to shoot while you are getting said altitude. Since we'll be going after big kaijus, possibly needing to get on top of them, I like the idea of moving sort of like the launch pods in BF2142 when used to attack titans, quick and direct, hard to intercept, when compared to flying up via helicopter or such.
Ah yes, quite different compared to what i thought.

Jul 26, 2016

so like an rocket propelled ejection seat?

Jul 26, 2016
Hm.... maybe grenade launching warthogs from Halo CE. All the others are way to.... slow, short ranged, and such.
wouldn't this depend on exactly how big these Kaju are in relation to the omniframe/THMPR?

I mean, this is for combat, so you want to be at what distance above the enemy?