Milestone II - Aug 29, We're building a Playable Mockup (with video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Trom

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Just to have a clear understanding: The goal for this Mockup is a single player experince, yes? Or is supporting multiplayer so simple in the Unreal engine that we will get that out of the gate?

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Just to have a clear understanding: The goal for this Mockup is a single player experince, yes? Or is supporting multiplayer so simple in the Unreal engine that we will get that out of the gate?
The goal for the Playable Mockup, of which Milestone II funding round on Monday is just one step, is single player to keep costs low (programming labor time). However, we will be making small squad multiplayer (no matchmaching, unless we find a easy to use lobby service), could very well be a stretch funding goal for that final step.

Hans Trom

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
The goal for the Playable Mockup, of which Milestone II funding round on Monday is just one step, is single player to keep costs low (programming labor time). However, we will be making small squad multiplayer (no matchmaching, unless we find a easy to use lobby service), could very well be a stretch funding goal for that final step.
Making small squad multiplayer a stretch goal sounds like a good plan, as it is one of those really good "nice-to-have" features (in a mockup) that could make for a nice reason to over fund that step.

Jul 28, 2016
This is such GREAT skraging NEWS!!!!!!!

I am so proud of all the backers up to this point who have pushed and funded this project up til now. And to all of those who just put up a Sig Thank you ALL for taking the time to spark the "Ember" in your hearts and minds to bring this game to fruition.

I have been here reading the fourms of Ideas, mechanics and designs and just WOW>............. Good stuff. I hope to become a funder myself soon as the next funding campaign comes through.

Again to Mark and ALL those who are helping this Ember become an Inferno THANK YOU for keeping the dream alive.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
When the user mod for Firefall was created for group making, "Boing LFG", it was near perfect. Everyone was using it instead of the POS one that came with the game. I hope that any user made mods for Ember that are made that work great and are highly used would be incorporated into the game officially.

The devs should of expanded Boing, not try to replace it. The time saved, the already working functionality and popularity of it should of screamed "Use Me". I am sure the modder would of given the ok.

Tldr: If it is popular in the community and does the job, please do not reinvent the wheel. Incorporate it and build on it!

Hans Trom

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
When the user mod for Firefall was created for group making, "Boing LFG", it was near perfect. Everyone was using it instead of the POS one that came with the game. I hope that any user made mods for Ember that are made that work great and are highly used would be incorporated into the game officially.

The devs should of expanded Boing, not try to replace it. The time saved, the already working functionality and popularity of it should of screamed "Use Me". I am sure the modder would of given the ok.

Tldr: If it is popular in the community and does the job, please do not reinvent the wheel. Incorporate it and build on it!
Well, yes and no. In priciple I agree about not reinveting the wheel, but I always personally found the option for GUI modding in MMO's very problematic in the first place. The UI very much defines the whole gaming experience of a game, and changing it can change the fundementals of what the game is actually about. I can see how some mods help make the game better, but many push game balance or game focus to a degree that just destroy the intended game experince.
I find UI modding nearly as problematic as something like P2W. Yeah, I really just said that, but I truely do.

Sandsnake

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Well, yes and no. In priciple I agree about not reinveting the wheel, but I always personally found the option for GUI modding in MMO's very problematic in the first place. The UI very much defines the whole gaming experience of a game, and changing it can change the fundementals of what the game is actually about. I can see how some mods help make the game better, but many push game balance or game focus to a degree that just destroy the intended game experince.
I find UI modding nearly as problematic as something like P2W. Yeah, I really just said that, but I truely do.
The difference here is a LFG tool that worked, and one that was a broken piece of crap.
Or an inventory tool that worked, vs...
Or a layout managment system that worked, vs....
Or a printer maNAGER THAT WORKED, VS....

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com

Was greatly excited for this until I read the following:

"This mockup will only be available to backers, but backers will be allowed to take screenshots and stream it to help build public support. This support will be used to fund our main Kickstarter to launch the company full-time."

However on a side note... I've finally gotten another job... temporary which is NEAR a Bestbuy and a Game Stop (So I can get steam cards and such) for when it does hit live! Just have to wait until then.... yay

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
The last pledging had seven options I think ranging from $1 to $100. The higher packages are limited and even for what I was able to get was only $15 but was one of the only few that didn't sell out. lol So people, you have plenty of options to get in on this without being picky or scared about cash. My goodness go mow someone's lawn for $20 sheesh....

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
Long live Ember.
Great work Mark and Co.
There could be a conflict of interest. I noticed when the video finished there were links related to similar headings, and one was a game getting started called "Lost Ember".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLnfXsPYGk

Hope you have registered the Ember name, and it's no concern in moving forward if not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.