May 04, 2021: Chief Chat Notes - "May the 4th Be With You! Grummz said, "God Mechs"... WHAT?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
CHIEF CHAT BRIEF SUMMARY FROM TUESDAY, MAY 4, 2021

==== MAIN POINTS ====
► New build is going to feature chat, so you'll be able to talk to each to other in the test builds!
Send FF footage!
Grummz is currently looking for Firefall footage! If you have any of your own footage, please link it the #firefall-footage text channel. [
NOTE: If you are not comfortable sharing your footage there, feel free to leave a message that you have footage to share!]

► If you want this month’s unique skin, a Sporty Light Omniframe skin, consider joining the Em-8er Monthly Patron subscription! If we hit a consistent 1,500 patrons, we will implement the Heavy Omniframe for the Playable Mockup!

==== GENERAL POINTS ====
► Happy Star Wars day! *May the 4th be with you!*
► Grummz had a good birthday, and took his birthday and the weekend to relax and enjoy it :)
► If you have the October 2019 Halloween skin, It will be themed to this frame [Showing Medium Omniframe].

==== FUTURE PLANS ====
► Grummz would like to get together with the team and have a discussion to talk about how they want the melee combat to feel for the light frame when they implement it.
► CuteSexyRobutts does our waifu. It’s been while since CSR did a skin. We have an idea and CSR will be doing a skin for July.

► GOD MECH LEAK??? OWOWOWOW!!! There’s something we haven’t talked about which is God Mechs, right? Which is the Kaiju sized mecha. Sort of like guild ships or carriers in Planetside 2. Basically Jaeger sized stuff like from Pacific Rim. The God Mechs are completely different. They are not made by Gatestriders so, they can be VERY different.

==== Q & A ====
► Question: Will the light frame have human sized firearms or will the power fist hold a larger guns?
Grummz: The light frame will have guns but they will have large guns, over sized weapons.

► Question: Will there be a hard driver mode for the Light Omniframe?
Grummz: No. It's meant to be more Firefall-esque.

► Question: If you have the melee fists equipped to the light frame, will that prevent you from using guns?
Grummz: Yes, but you can swap between the melee fists and the guns.

► Question: Does your mech go into spider tank or does your little human go into spider tank?
Grummz: Your little human goes in, and the spider tank is multi-crew.

► Question: Since there is a hover copter, will there be air to air battles/missions as well?
Grummz: Not at first, at first your talking about the stuff deployed during an invasion, So the only mission during an invasion is to defend the base before it gets trampled by Kaiju.

► Question: Will there be any more abilities included for Kickstarter playable mock up?
Grummz: Just the light frame abilities, because we want to get the demo, the art pass, and the movie done, and then head to Kickstarter as soon as we can.

► Question: When will the Newcomer backer packs go away?
Grummz: All the packs go away one month before Kickstarter.

► Question: Can we have the finished novel offered as a Grummz signed hardcover as a perk or to buy?
Grummz: We could do physical stuff, But the problem is when you do physical stuff is delivery is such a huge issue, Shipping overseas is insane right now and always will be, So you have to tack on shipping charges which need to be covered by the backer, Then let the international backers know that it will be really expensive to ship them something as simple as a book, and then you have to collect sales tax because California requires that.

► Question: Will the light frame be able to use a giant anime sword?
Grummz: Yes light frames have melee availability/ability that are unique to them, they can dual wield melee

► Question: Will you be able to climb giant Kaiju with light frames?
Grummz: Yes the plan is to wall run on the Kaiju’s “flanks”.

► Question: So the light frame will not necessarily just be an offensive purpose frame, it can be a supporter as well with the right equipment? So like the Bastion from Firefall?
Ronyn: Yes it will have many options from offense to support. In Em-8er, there is a lot more freedom to the builds than Firefall had.

► Question: Can I make lewd art of EM-8ER?
Grummz: Yes, so long as you tell us where it is, we need an easy place to find it

► Question: There was a question about the types of leg joints that we might see for Em-8er frames. You know some have reverse joints and different types of leg joints. Will we see stuff like that in Em-8er?
Grummz: No, we only have the regular joints for the mechs right now.

► Question: Is this going to be an epic store exclusive?
Grummz: No, we already said we will not be an Epic store exclusive; even though we know the guys at Epic. It will always be available directly from us on the site.

► Question: If you’re willing to speculate, what is likely to come first?: The Social Hub Demo or the T.H.M.P.R Encounter Demo?
Grummz: The social hub will be first. We’ve got the character art well under way now. We forgot to make clothes for them. We made clothes for them. Thank you Toshi.

► Question: I noticed on the last builds that I played, that I couldn't see the front of my mech without it moving. Any plans for a free look camera, or maybe I just overlooked it and it’s already there?
Grummz: It’s not there yet. We do plan to have a photo mode, where you can swing around your character and take pictures from the front.

► Question: What’s the driving force behind the player perspective? / Whats the current objective of the player faction?
Grummz: Your objective is to terraform the planet, to unlock as many zones as possible, and to put your bases everywhere. That raises the world tech tier. The world tech tier determines the maximum stuff you can craft for your omniframe. Everything is crafted in the game. There are loot drops that are parts you need, but you need to build what you’re going to build. You can only craft up to the tier that is supported by the world. You can increase the world tier by unlocking zones, by pushing back the Tsi-Hu, by building bases, by putting resources into terraforming those zones, and you can lose world tier too if you don’t actively defend those zones. Plus, there is the Monster Hunter-esque aspect of going into the Tsi-Hu worlds through rifts and hunting kaiju there.
But the core is progression of your frames, crafting, building bigger heavier frames, building your tanks, building your aircraft, and customizing them in any way you see fit. There’s no classes. The load outs are determined by what you slot in there. So the abilities you want to craft, the weapons you want to craft, you decide what goes into your frame.

► Question: How do you balance the needs of starting small so you can build on it, with understanding how to lay the foundation for something to get bigger later. A good example of both sides of that is Star Citizen, which is like: “We’re going to do everything!” and you won’t get to play the game until who-knows-when. Then you have Warframe, which started small, but now it seems like everything they add is some kind of weird side project that doesn’t really gel. So how do you balance these two kind of competing concepts?

Grummz: Well, I don’t think Warframe started out thinking that’s what they’re going to do. I think you have to start off with it in mind. Warframe had a lot of success. Integration is hard at that point, if you haven’t planned ahead. I think the first step is to be aware that you want to follow that model. Warframe pioneered that model. I think it grew organically. We can look to Warframe and see what worked and what didn’t and some of the integration issues they had later on. We talk about that already on the team. Harry plays a lot of Warframe.
I think the first step is recognizing you do want that path and how you’re going to achieve it. And I’ll be honest with you, if I had all the answers I’d tell you. But a lot of this is feeling it out as you go along. When we made W.O.W. we didn’t know what we were doing either. I know you’re not supposed to say that. But there is so much of game development which is just: “Let’s get it into player's hands and see what happens and react off that.”

► Question: Will there be any integration between the Discord overlay/chat and the in-game chat?
Grummz: That’s an interesting question. We are Discord developers. We have access to their APIs. Sending cross messages that go from in-game chat to Discord? We’ll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion!

► Question: Will pilots share a nickname or use a different one?
Grummz: When you make multiple pilots, you’ll have different names. You can also re-sequence your current pilot. There will be a “New You” where you can change your appearance.

==== QUOTES ====
“Uhhhh, my name is Mark, I made a bunch of games.” ~ Grummz

==== THANK YOU’s! ====
► “Thank you everybody for the happy birthday’s!” ~ Grummz
► Fai’s Thanks Winner! “Jibus”!

==== FUN STUFF! ====
► Grummz Wears Assless Chaps Confirmed
“Everything above the waist is copacetic now.” ~ Grummz
“What I heard you say is that your not wearing pants.” ~ Ronyn
“I- Did- well- You can imagine what you want to imagine, I- you know, I don’t know what your head cannon is.” ~ Grummz

-------------------------------

TWITCH VOD LINK!!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1010992184

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Question: Will there be any integration between the Discord overlay/chat and the in-game chat?
Grummz: That’s an interesting question. We are Discord developers. We have access to their APIs. Sending cross messages that go from in-game chat to Discord? We’ll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion!
Is it tricky to have some sort of irc chat in forum to communicate to discord and even ingame ?
Would that be too much problems could it cause security issues ???

Status
Not open for further replies.