macOS Support for T.H.M.P.R. Model

Sep 24, 2016
I noticed that the IndieGoGo only mentions an executable, which is for Windows, but what about an application bundle for macOS? Yes, I realize that Macs don't have powerful graphics cards, but the graphics cards in Macs are powerful enough to play a game like Firefall. I have an iMac with a GeForce GTX 680MX and I play Firefall at max settings. To build the project for Mac, all you would need is a Mac with UE4 installed. What surprises me is that the developers of UE haven't been able to support exporting a game to any platform. Also, I think Ember should be using the Vulkan graphics API instead of DirectX for Windows. For Mac, Ember should use the Metal graphics API.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I noticed that the IndieGoGo only mentions an executable, which is for Windows, but what about an application bundle for macOS? Yes, I realize that Macs don't have powerful graphics cards, but the graphics cards in Macs are powerful enough to play a game like Firefall. I have an iMac with a GeForce GTX 680MX and I play Firefall at max settings. To build the project for Mac, all you would need is a Mac with UE4 installed. What surprises me is that the developers of UE haven't been able to support exporting a game to any platform. Also, I think Ember should be using the Vulkan graphics API instead of DirectX for Windows. For Mac, Ember should use the Metal graphics API.
You're assuming that this game will perform similarly to Firefall. While I too would like them to use Vulkan so they can make it cross platform, let's keep in mind that this game is not being made by a studio backed by a big company. If the devs need to make things easier on themselves by only supporting one platform, so be it.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Trying to develop for multiple operating systems would increase the costs to make the game, the game is already on a tight budget.

Maybe in the future if the game proves to be a success and pulls in enough funding to make the transition.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Mac and linux are pretty low in numbers. I don't know what mark plans but with limited funding I personally won't do Mac or Linux until post-launch. Maybe Mark will drop by and clear things up.

Feb 22, 2022
Practically speaking, a much easier target is just making sure the game runs well under Wine/CrossOver, and then most of the work of running under Linux or MacOS is done for you. Its possible you don't have to do anything special at all, or the amount of work is no different than testing on multiple versions of Windows, eg that Windows 7 and 8 and 10 and 11 work, crossed with a common variety of hardware configurations. In that sense, Mac hardware support is simpler because there aren't very many hardware combinations compared to what you may have with Windows.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Practically speaking, a much easier target is just making sure the game runs well under Wine/CrossOver, and then most of the work of running under Linux or MacOS is done for you. Its possible you don't have to do anything special at all, or the amount of work is no different than testing on multiple versions of Windows, eg that Windows 7 and 8 and 10 and 11 work, crossed with a common variety of hardware configurations. In that sense, Mac hardware support is simpler because there aren't very many hardware combinations compared to what you may have with Windows.
Thats a good idea at least then everyone can play, but i wonder how it will perform compared to those not using wine etc