Let's Take a Look at.. The Gameplay Environment!

Jul 27, 2016
Alright folks! This here's gonna be my first post in the "Let's Take a Look at.." series. This one's gonna be about the gameplay environment. Firefall as a game was known for beautiful environments, and I think that's a good place to start with Em8-er. Gameplay is one thing, but having an engaging world to play a game in makes all the difference. This will be broken up into a few posts. This post is going to cover Coral Forest and Sertao.

I'm going to rate all the zones I can think of: Coral Forest, Sertao, Diamondhead(Aka Devil's Tusk), Sargasso Sea, the Amazon, and Antarctica. I'm also going to give special mention to a few others-the tutorial version of Copacabana, Melding Tornado pockets, and Blackwater Anomaly.

The ratings themselves will be based on Appeal/Aesthetic(How attractive/well made the zone is), Atmosphere(The emotional content of the zone), Gameplay Potential(If the zone was developed, how well does it make use of the terrain, etc, if not, what potential exists for the terrain, etc), and World/Lore Development Potential(How the zone was used to develop the world's lore or could be used to develop the world's lore.). I'll go on a scale of 1-10.

Now, let us begin!
CoralForest.jpg
Coral Forest. Where the game starts. The zone with the most lore, and quite a lot of potential that's been squandered or unused.

Coral Forest is the zone in which we start. We land from a dropship, uplink to our first SIN tower, and the fun starts from there. The zone was well done, however, it had changes made to it that gradually crippled it. The invasions of Sunken Harbor and Thump Dump were great, and required a concerted effort to defeat-removing them was a death knell for the zone. However, gameplay isn't at stake here-without further ado, on to the rankings.

Appeal/Aesthetic: 8-9. The zone is certainly nice, and it's obvious that a large amount of effort was put into it. It runs the gamut from beaches and tropics to mountains, cliffs, and waterfalls. It's organic and well done, however. The Arclight crashed offshore. What I expect from the zone is a large amount of flooding damage. I understand that humanity has made efforts to rebuild after the crash, however the damage should be far more extensive. A crash on the Arclight's scale should cause a veritable tidal wave, and extensive damage from it. Broken Shores gets a 10 out of 10.

Atmosphere: 6-8. The zone, normally(at regular times) does not feel like a warzone. Transhub is militaristic(Even still, the most you see is tactical maps and dropships), obviously, but few of the places lend themselves to the feeling of an actual impending threat. Shanty Town and the areas near Sunken Harbor as well as Thump Dump certainly have some areas where bandits frequent, however once again, they don't feel very threatening(also because they shouldn't be.). Broken Shores captures the nature of the area, in my belief. You have destroyed terrain and buildings, fallen debris, even a grave marker dedicated to Nostromo's loved ones, if I remember correctly. That's what we should be seeing from a shattered world like Firefall's.

Gameplay Potential: 6-7. This makes me sad. Coral Forest was the landing point, so to speak, as we took back New Eden. Not only was it the place for us to expand out of, it was the most obvious place for us to get pushed back to(As shown in the destroyed Copacabana tutorial). Invasions should have been relatively common here and they should actually have existed. Chosen assaults should have been common. Tactically speaking, any area near where Coral Forest met with Sertao should have been common. Chosen incursions, drop pods, and pretty much any other attack they would make on us were warranted. For a time(when invasions were active, and attacks were common), the gameplay potential of this zone was done well. However, the attacks should have been more forceful. They should have been attacks to not just reclaim territory, but to fortify it and push us OUT of it.

Lore Potential
: 8-10. Coral Forest, as one of the most worked on zones, was brimming with lore. Achievements compelled some to search it out, as did quests. This development enabled the lore to exist. From bunkers with ARES missions to hilltop outposts to forest camps, there was a plethora of things that could be done. In the future, though, I would recommend that the ARES missions be more specific to the area they’re in, and give lore about that area, and each mission maybe will give a unique tidbit.

The Good: Coral Forest was the most worked on zone, and as such, had the most going for it.
-Large amounts of lore.
-Safe terrain that allowed for newer players to get a feel for the game without unfair deaths.
-A beautiful environment that was pleasant to play in, and that could bring you back with nostalgia.
-A large NPC presence that helped make the outpost-defense mission realistic.
-The terrain held lots of interesting places that rewarded and allowed travelling.

The Bad:
-The most entertaining elements of the zone(the war) were culled from it in order to make it “safe” for new players.
-The zone did not feel like a warzone. It felt like one we had comfortably captured, and the incursions into it were minor annoyances(going solely off of the actions of NPCs and the appearances of the terrain/environment.)
-THE ARCLIGHT DOES NOTHING. It provides an end to invasions, but something large enough to catalyze the entire GAME should have more of an impact on the zone.

Next up, Sertao!
Sertao3.jpg

Sertao is practically attached to Coral Forest. It’s set up much more like a warzone, however suffers in the lore department. (Apologies for the small picture, the forums are being mean to me.)

Sertao was the next zone opened up when the game progressed to using leveling. While it was nice to have a new zone in existence, and especially nice to see what lay behind the Melding curtain, Sertao is plagued by illogic. The beginning of the game set a scene of humanity fighting and struggling for survival-how do we go from this to an audacious push into Sertao? And more importantly, how does that push into Sertao encounter so little resistance, as well as minimal counterattacks from the Chosen? However, let’s get to our ratings. The lore of the game world can be discussed later.

Appeal/Aesthetic: 8-9. Sertao maintains a relative similarity to Coral Forest. It’s more inland, so mountains and forests become more common, however it can definitely be a nice place. OCT is the hallmark of the zone and is very well put together. FOB Sagan, as well as OCT, lend themselves to the feeling that it’s a war, as well as several other areas in the zone. They’re not as common as one would expect from a warzone. Dredge is definitely another symbolic place, as it was spoken of often in Coral Forest dialogue, but it’s largely disappointing in Sertao(I can’t be the only one who thought it was bigger!). The northern portion of the region is fairly undeveloped, being mostly wilderness, and I’m not a huge fan of it personally. The main attention is the war effort and civilization in the south. Were the north barren due to being a constant warzone, I might be more inclined to approve of the artistic choice.

Atmosphere: 7. The atmosphere created here is one of comfort-that humanity has taken the zone back and for the most part is done with the brunt of the fighting. Although FOB Sagan and the sporadic watchtowers, as well as the presence of Accord guards lend themselves to the feeling, there’s little actual warfare. The only territory that bears markings of the Chosen is a small area to the west with a strange structure of Chosen make, however it’s never spoken about or elaborated on or anything. Elements of the zone lend themselves to it being a war zone, however they are not capitalized on or used properly to make it feel like one.

Gameplay Potential: 8-9. The assault on OCT is the hallmark of the zone. It’s a well done event that brings players from around the region(and from other regions) to participate in. The terrain here is varied, and opens up lots of potential for combat-there are cliffs to dive down onto enemy forces from, trees and rocks to hide behind, and plenty of rocky structures from which to stage ambushes. The presence of roads makes travelling easier as well. Unfortunately, random encounters are lacking here even compared to Coral Forest-a Chosen incursion or drop pod is rare and hard to find, and strike teams are even more infrequent. The potential remains for a war zone though. As one of the recently taken zones, the Chosen should be trying to push us back. Our foothold, due to its proximity to Coral Forest, should be Dredge, which should have been far more fortified. The northern region of the zone should have been where most of the hard fighting is, with battles getting easier as you move south due to increased fortification and a higher number of reinforcements.

Lore Potential: 6-7. The presence of OCT, FOB Sagan, and various Omnidyne/Kisuton labs provide a large amount of potential for lore here. Through quests, they’re explored, however all can prove to be more useful. OCT could have global impacts on the game, such as impairing teleportation between zones, our damaging our ability to see icons on the minimap if lost. The labs should be places where we go and research technology, finding ways to combat the Chosen and upgrade ourselves. Instead, there’s a bunch of quests telling us to run around because we got SIN hacked. The northeastern regions are entirely devoid of any lore. There’s a large facility, but it has almost no explanation given to it.

The Good:
-The terrain is a step up from Coral forest. It’s harder, and might get you killed, but it can be used to your advantage at the same time.
-Certain areas and bases are fortified such that they give the feel of being in a warzone.
-OCT, a major landmark in the game, is available and in existence. The structure itself can provide global, lasting impacts, and as such should be and is a focal point for combat in the area.
-Lots of scientific and research facilities should make this the technological and research hub of the game. Should.

The Bad:
-Almost an entire quadrant of the region is all wilderness, uninhabited, and feels neglected save for a few loreless outposts.
-The Chosen should be hitting this zone hard and trying to push us out of it. They’re not.
-OCT as well as the research labs have far weaker impacts than they should have. OCT should be something on the scale of the Arclight-losing it should be damaging, and tangibly so.
-Bandits and wildlife feel more dangerous than the Chosen here. I don’t need to explain how wrong that is.

That concludes this section. I’ll comment on any and all feedback! Next up will be the Sargasso Sea and the Amazon war zone. In the comments I'll be taking your feedback and using it to discuss what from these zones should be kept in Em8-er.

Cheers!
AdmiralStryker

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like the coral Forest yes it didn't feel like a war zone but that was the beauty of it. It was a paradise made for the citizen as there was hardly any and this was a place for the citizens to feel at home. Great to introduce newer players in the world of ff with the crazy wild life that could attacked and so on. That said the arc-light didn't really have anything going for it would of been cool if it could be explored perhaps part of the wreck or something using some small submarine i was hoping for an under water world of some kind but it would be only accessible by the submarine or some transportation device hmm.

The lore was superb in this area and it really made you feel a part of the world of coral forest yes the environment was also great and the music synced nicely. I love interacting with the npc each with their unique personality some crazy and others serious there was a feeling that a community was really there!!!

Sertao was completely different to coral forest it had more varied threats to tackle and a vast amount of space that i wonder if anything could be there a kind of mad max feel in some parts. The lore as you mentioned is not as strong as in coral forest which i felt sad about and for some reason it lost its unique feel. Not saying Sertao was bad but maybe it seemed like it was a bit rushed imo. Sertao had more action there was some stories and some really funny missions too which i absolutely loved but the lack of lore and those who occupy the world does make it feel like something was missing.

To give my verdict they are both great however coral forest was my fave out of those 2!

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Thank you for that post!

I particularly liked how the environment transitioned in Coral Forest as one could walk/run/drive etc. through one landscape type to another. Some of my BEST moments were night or evening walking up to the North and then over through the woods to ThumpDump. Along the way one night there was the spooky and glorious melding on my right and as I entered the dark and misty woods I heard the plaintive calls of a Wounded Bandit beckoning me to be on his dinner plate.

The rolling grasslands were nice, the way the landscape rolled and was pinched off sometimes by hills was great. Pretty much the whole zone - excellent.

Sertao felt more open and not so intimate, but it had the sand storms which were are really really nice. It also had that special spot where in North Central to the West of that never used little base-like thing with the fence just North of the Lab where there were the huge trees and you could stand there and watch the melding ebb and flow in and out of the trees like a glorious fog. Luckiliy I have a couple hours of that recorded, but it is sadly not at full FPS.

Sertao seemed like it had "dead" areas where nothing much ever took place, however.

Summar is that I agree that the art and effort that went into making those lands was superb, and the seamless and natural blending of one environmental landscape into another was really excellent. All this was done for the mot part with making terrain good for combat with a good mix of open spaces and more closed ones for different types of combat. All of them also had good high points for gliding take offs and surveying the terrain.

Building the landscapes with gliding in mind is important.

Jul 27, 2016
I like the coral Forest yes it didn't feel like a war zone but that was the beauty of it. It was a paradise made for the citizen as there was hardly any and this was a place for the citizens to feel at home. Great to introduce newer players in the world of ff with the crazy wild life that could attacked and so on. That said the arc-light didn't really have anything going for it would of been cool if it could be explored perhaps part of the wreck or something using some small submarine i was hoping for an under water world of some kind but it would be only accessible by the submarine or some transportation device hmm.
To your comment about Coral Forest being designed to ease newbies into it: From a metagaming/4th wall shattering point of view, it's fair. But as far as in game reasons, Coral Forest initially was our first and last bastion against the Chosen. The only place we had to fall back to was the Arclight. Later on the lore got murdered and it basically became that humanity was doing fine in the war. I'm going from the lore standpoint of "Humanity is on the verge of extinction and we're fighting for survival". While I personally liked Coral Forest a great deal, I did not think it fit the definition of a warzone.

Coral Forest graphically speaking was gorgeous. In this sort of game I expect more of a hybrid of military and civilian life. I would have expected Copacabana and Trans-hub Command to have swapped places on the map(The command outpost would logically be at the most defensible point), or, I would have expected civilians to be entirely on the Arclight.

As for the Arclight herself-I would have liked to see better special effects for the Nova barrage it fired at the end of an invasion, personally. An early version of the tutorial had us in a battlelab I am presuming to be inside the Arclight-that was nice, however I much preferred the tutorial that placed us in a destroyed Copacabana.

The battlelab should definitely have been used, and I would have liked to see some quests bring us into a command bridge on the Arclight, or something similar. An instance(An "end of the world, worst case scenario") that portrayed a final assault by the Chosen by the Arclight and maybe a D-Day style retaliation on Copacabana would have been something I wanted to see had the game continued on the lore path it was on.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Thank you for that post!

I particularly liked how the environment transitioned in Coral Forest as one could walk/run/drive etc. through one landscape type to another. Some of my BEST moments were night or evening walking up to the North and then over through the woods to ThumpDump. Along the way one night there was the spooky and glorious melding on my right and as I entered the dark and misty woods I heard the plaintive calls of a Wounded Bandit beckoning me to be on his dinner plate.

The rolling grasslands were nice, the way the landscape rolled and was pinched off sometimes by hills was great. Pretty much the whole zone - excellent.

Sertao felt more open and not so intimate, but it had the sand storms which were are really really nice. It also had that special spot where in North Central to the West of that never used little base-like thing with the fence just North of the Lab where there were the huge trees and you could stand there and watch the melding ebb and flow in and out of the trees like a glorious fog. Luckiliy I have a couple hours of that recorded, but it is sadly not at full FPS.

Sertao seemed like it had "dead" areas where nothing much ever took place, however.

Summar is that I agree that the art and effort that went into making those lands was superb, and the seamless and natural blending of one environmental landscape into another was really excellent. All this was done for the mot part with making terrain good for combat with a good mix of open spaces and more closed ones for different types of combat. All of them also had good high points for gliding take offs and surveying the terrain.

Building the landscapes with gliding in mind is important.
Sandstorms are nice. Any way in which weather can be used in a gameplay environment is great(As you'll see soon I'm very pleased with Antarctica for this reason). The Melding was one thing that odds are we'll never see again. I liked it as part of the world, but due to the nature of this one, it might be a more artificial wall of "this is uninhabitable you will burn/freeze to death here".

I do agree. Landscapes must be built with transportation in mind. Most, if not all methods of transportation should be viable for standard movement from place to place.

Jul 27, 2016
coral forest felt more like a warzone back when there were invasions
Invasions certainly provided a more threatening atmosphere. However, the world didn't look like it was under attack. Sunken Harbor and Copacabana were still relatively paradise-esque. Yes, both had defense cannons and accord soldiers, but that was really it. Very few weapon racks, fortifications, etc, existed within the cities. Obviously I understand that due to the nature of combat in Firefall(with flight being allowed) you can't exactly wall in a city and call it defended, but I expected something more.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
That is a good point. There were seemingly always non combat (or combat troops even) wandering around oblivious to the carnage taking place around them. Certainly, with no destruction of the base components the bases themselves were always pretty as ever.

I think with the building destruction planned in EM-8ER, we should see real threats.

I hope that we'll have plenty of smashed buildings, smoke, flames and rubble to show that our hard won buildings are getting smashed up and we had better work hard to defend them.

Likewise, I hope that your frames show their damage by having smoke, sparks and/or other wear and tear and damage to alert us AND other players to our plight as we get damaged more and more.

I've been in Ghost Recon recently, and I love the way they smash up vehicles and have smoke then eventually flames then flaming explosions show you visually (and audibly) what state your vehicle in is at any moment.

I think the plans are for us to see this sort of thing! I hope so!

Sep 1, 2016
but I expected something more.
definitely... while CF was a haven for new players, the paradise part was a bit overdone.... what could have been was a portion of the map could have been eased into a more war-like environment. all that was apparent were small skirmishes here and there which was amplified when they removed invasions on later updates

Jul 27, 2016
That is a good point. There were seemingly always non combat (or combat troops even) wandering around oblivious to the carnage taking place around them. Certainly, with no destruction of the base components the bases themselves were always pretty as ever.

I think with the building destruction planned in EM-8ER, we should see real threats.

I hope that we'll have plenty of smashed buildings, smoke, flames and rubble to show that our hard won buildings are getting smashed up and we had better work hard to defend them.

Likewise, I hope that your frames show their damage by having smoke, sparks and/or other wear and tear and damage to alert us AND other players to our plight as we get damaged more and more.

I've been in Ghost Recon recently, and I love the way they smash up vehicles and have smoke then eventually flames then flaming explosions show you visually (and audibly) what state your vehicle in is at any moment.

I think the plans are for us to see this sort of thing! I hope so!
I'm looking forward to seeing real threats. I don't want to be coddled by a game. I don't think a new player would either. Getting right into the thick of things pulls you in and keeps you in there.

I want to see our bases get trashed and have to be rebuilt. I want to see frame damage(sounds like we will, and that it'll affect gameplay too which is even better!). I'd rather look beat up and not see my health bar than look fine but have 10% health.

Jul 27, 2016
definitely... while CF was a haven for new players, the paradise part was a bit overdone.... what could have been was a portion of the map could have been eased into a more war-like environment. all that was apparent were small skirmishes here and there which was amplified when they removed invasions on later updates
Definitely. While the environment was beautiful, that could have been done with a more militarized zone, and should have been done. I'd even like to see small skirmishes leave marks on the terrain, even if just a few bloodstains and/or scorchmarks from gunfire(ie nothing that requires changes to how we move over the terrain, just visual stuff as I recognize that changing how players interact with the terrain with a temporary crater or what not is hard to do and inconvenient for the devs.). I'd like to see the Kaiju take swipes out of the terrain, though.