Just for some new guy

Despair

Death Reaper
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Germany
www.jardras.de
Hello everyone,

i did back the crowdfunding campaign as the idea of Ember seemed pretty great.

Now I've got a big problem:

I don't even know anything about Firefall except for:

"Firefall is a dynamic, open-world MMO shooter with limitless exploration of a vast future Earth, rewarding skilled players as they progress through a deep story. Players will be able to customize their character in a living world that constantly offers new challenges.

Fighting for a world forever changed by the Melding, Firefall players customize their battleframes and weaponry, taking the fight to the Chosen to reclaim Earth. With team-based and on-demand quests, Firefall is the first MMO to feature truly dynamic events that appear throughout the game world, offering players new experiences every time they play"

I tried to get some informations piece by piece but can't get it together.
So my questions:

1. Was Firefall also founded by a crowdfunding campaign?
2. Did Firefall start off as a good MMO and went bad or did it always suck? (Seems to be the general opinion here in this forum)
2.1. Is Firefall at its end? (read some news about it)
3. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal?
4. What is the relation between Crixa and Ember?
5. Can you give me a page where i can get infos besides some wiki?

Thanks in advance

Despair (really interested in this project)

Well, i just started in 1.3 (war in the amazon) and i can't answer 1. but i can probably answer the other ones.
2. Yes, first it was horizontal, till mark "got gone" (fired) then it got vertical and the average grindshit mmo. as said, i did join beginning 1.3 and tested 1.4 and 1.5. 1.3 was everage, made still fun, but was pretty grindy. 1.4 sucked, they messed up all frames and rewrote teh whole story. (teh story was about another "Ares" squad (ares pilots where ppl joining an iniciative to protect humanity) called "Devil hawks" (made of Hobes, Fade, Frank and some others) and you kinda "told" their story. You actually helped them some times.) then they changed it to a player focus. Truning "you are one of many heros, but you tell a story" to "You are the almighty hero that will save us!". They also messed up the frames. I heard in 1.6 they took even the alt fires.
2.1. Yes it is. It's just running 'cause "The9" (that that came after mark) are trying to milk it till its dead.
3. vertical is a standard progression, you will grind games and got to work your way up to see and get everything. Horizontal is when there are no lvls (FF Beta, seek it on YT) and you can go and see everything without grinding or shit like that.
4. Ember plays in the universe of crixa, but there are no other relations than the universe and mark kern.
5. The FF forum should still have some infos. But rather ask the vets about it, they know everything.

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
it will... there are no DEVs left, so DEV technical the game is dead. and when the player count drops to 10, then FF is dead. For once and for all!
No, there are 3 ppl at Red5, even if the game will die now, they can revive it in the future

Jul 28, 2016
I don't even know anything about Firefall except for:

"Firefall is a dynamic, open-world MMO shooter with limitless exploration of a vast future Earth, rewarding skilled players as they progress through a deep story. Players will be able to customize their character in a living world that constantly offers new challenges.

Fighting for a world forever changed by the Melding, Firefall players customize their battleframes and weaponry, taking the fight to the Chosen to reclaim Earth. With team-based and on-demand quests, Firefall is the first MMO to feature truly dynamic events that appear throughout the game world, offering players new experiences every time they play"

I tried to get some informations piece by piece but can't get it together.
So my questions:

2. Did Firefall start off as a good MMO and went bad or did it always suck? (Seems to be the general opinion here in this forum)

Thanks in advance

Despair (really interested in this project)
This is what Firefall was supposed to be. Hope this helps.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
1. Funded by investors, supplemented by package sales (like Founders, etc) to the user base.

2. Closed beta 0.6 to 0.7 was fantastic fun. I joined at 0.6. It most certainly did not always suck. Ember's surprising momentum exists partly because FF's game play was so much fun. Unfortunately, they redesigned too many systems too many times, changed the direction of the game heavily from what a lot of people bought into, and did too many gear/resource/whatever wipes, even after the so called release.

2.1. Firefall is dead. All the developers are laid off and it will be difficult for new developers to pick up due to the custom engine. It's possible a Chinese development team is moving it to a new engine that's suitable for consoles, but that's just speculation. It was known last year that it was game over for western customers when they indicated that there would be future content exclusive to China.

3. Here's a random article from google that covers it. https://www.engadget.com/2014/02/05/mmo-mechanics-comparing-vertical-and-horizontal-progression/

4. Mark Kern (aka Grummz) and lore.

5. You'll need to be more specific.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
1) Firefall followed standard game funding to get going initially: investors. It was started long before crowdfunding became a thing.
2) Started off good with lots of room for potential growth, then went from good to mediocre due to internal issues, then from mediocre to bad, then from bad to crap over time.
2.1) Firefall is basically at its end, right now The9 (who owns the IP) are looking to dump the PC side and attempt to move it into the mobile/console markets which is going to require them to rebuild the game from the ground up (again).
3) Vertical progression is all about bigger numbers essentially. You see it in just about every RPG, MMO. Levels, ilvls, raising stats as high as you can go are all elements of vertical progression. Horizontal progression is all about expanding options, so you stay around a similar power level but the way you do things changes.
4) Ember is set in the crixia universe so they share background lore.

Well, lets say FF was in the beta a prototype for a new game concept, but did fail due issues within the company that was in charge for the development.
And FF had maybe one of the most AWESOME COMMUNITIES EVER!!! And i think that the Ember community is going to be even more awesome! And i hope that we will get the opportunity to create addons/plugins for Ember like we were able in FF. But it won't have a such awesome Modding-Community like Cube 2: sauerbraten has/had where ppl created complete new maps, textures, models, sounds, animations, scripts, custom clients, custom script clients and server engines/scripts. But that will definitive not happen to Ember :(

Despair

Death Reaper
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Germany
www.jardras.de
Thanks a lot guys. Now I know a bit of the story of Firefall and Ember.

For 5: i would like to know some Infos about Equipment, Gameplay, the world etc. Are there any good Youtube Videos?

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
For 5: i would like to know some Infos about Equipment, Gameplay, the world etc. Are there any good Youtube Videos?
So you mean more about Firefall then, since that doesn't exist for Ember.

That's actually difficult, because so much changed so many times that anything you see might not be accurate anymore. Some things, like crafting, have been completely removed.

meh, its kinda easy
for teh world you can read teh backstory/time line
gameplay is.... yeah... thump ore, refine or on printers, print stuff (weapon, abilities, modules, what so ever) use stuff. you had different ore (iron, tungsten, titanium, uranium) the higher lvl something was, the more and the rarer the resources you ned (uran for 36-40 equipment).

equipment: 5 stock classes, each 2 advanced version with different jobs (dreadnaught had 3, one of them was a 3 class hybrid O.O)
assault: high dmg, medium range, high mobility and high jumpjet power/duration, used a plasma launcher (longer range, medium RoF, low AoE alt was a bouncing shotgun shot) or a plasma flak (short range, high RoF, high AoE normal shots did bounce alt fire boosted jumpjets) abilities (cant say all): afterburner (thrust you forward in the direction you were looking), crater (you jumped up/higher and fell down like a rock, 'Causing massive dmg with medium AoE), overcharge (increased RoF, unlimited ammo), bombs (threw a row of bombs, medium AoE), burnjets (let you hover in the air, everything beneath you took fire dmg) HKM: Thermalwave (something like that, send a massive shockwave in the direction you were looking, pulling back enemies and causing massive dmg)
assault firecat: AoE based, i never used the class so id on't now the abilities (had 3 abilities + 1 hkm, could use the assault abilities)
assault tigerclaw: air and movement based, never used it too (same as firecat)

Biotech: healer and poison dmg, used bio needlers (high fire rate, medium acc, alt fire made a shotgun shot with poison dmg) or bio injectors (high acc, low RoF, low ammo (like 15-25 shots) did poison dmg alt fire did heal mates abilities: triage (sped up the player and boosted his revive speed, after revive the timer duration got reset and he got a dmg absorption), healing wave (healed team mades, pushed back enemies), poison trail (left a poisoning trail, slowing enemies), healing generator (healed mates near teh generator) healing ball or something like that HKM: "poison gun" (a weapon that left clouds of poison, healing friendlies and dmg enemies)
biotech recluse: dmger poison focused, bio crossbow (medium RoF, shooting poison bolts, alt fire shot poison grenades that left a poison cloud) kinetic shot (a shot that didn't consume ammo but had 100& acc and made more dmg the more distance it traveled), poison shot (shot a projectile creating a cloud of poison) another skill, hkm: necrosis (created a huge poison cloud around the player)
biotech dragonfly: healing focused, bio rifle (high acc, RoF alt fire shot a small healing wave) retreat (boosted back leaving a small debuff cloud), healing pilar (shot a projectile creating a pilar that healed after a short period of time everything within its radius) dunno teh other one HKM: healing dome, created a huge dome around the player healing every friendly with in it)

Dreadnaught (i for my part played the hell out of it and the mammoth): medium-high hp and armor, medium dmg, slow walking speed, HMG (high RoF high mag size (200-400), medium dmg alt fire created a shield that held a certain amount of DMG) abilities: repulser blast (blasted enemies near the player, often threw them more than 40m far), heavy armor (creates an shield protecting teh player, absorbing much DMG, slowed the player), explosive round (loaded the HMG with exploding round boosting dmg, creating a small-medium AoE, nice against weak mass units), turretmode (anchored the player to the ground, reducing dmg, boosting dmg and RoF but only letting teh player looking in a certain angle), absorption bomb (created a tiny "dome" and letting the player crouch, absorbing 99% and releasing 90% of teh dmg in an explosion (the 90% could be raised to 150% off the dmg) HKM: accord mortar (gave the player a portable mortar with high dmg, high RoF, low range and infinite ammo till the duration ended)
dreadnaught mammoth (loved that thing, pretty trolly and you could end a mission without even dealing dmg): very high hp and armor (highest of all frames) plasma MG (shooting plasma pellets, dealing thermal dmg, medium RoF, high mag size, has dropoff alt fire shot a shotgun burst of pellets) abilities: sheidl wall (creating a huge shield wall in front off teh mammoth, absorbing massive dmg (but still can burst), all friendlies behind the shields get a personal shield that absorbs all the dmg and leads it to teh mammoth (teh mammoth takes the dmg they would take)) thunderdome (crets a dome that only friendlies can enter/leave (enemies can't, loved to troll small palyers in duel with it), absorbing massive dmg) teleport shot (teleports the mammoth to a certain position, the position teh projectile hits an object or after a certain range, dealing dmg to the surroundings) HKM: tremor (teh mammoth causes medium tremors around him, dealing massive dmg and making enemies unable to shoot or to move due the shaking of teh ground)

and more frames (rhino (dmger tank), arsenal (hybrid tank, medium armor, medium agility, medium dps ( mix of dreadnaught, assault and recon), engineer (turrets and support) with bastion (solo defense) and another 1 (support, electricity based)+ recon (sniper) with raptor (meele support sniper) and nighthawk (solo sniper)) There is far too much to tell you in one post and all...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks a lot guys. Now I know a bit of the story of Firefall and Ember.

We only wish.

At the moment there is no game, it's in the concept phase. Mark Kern, aka Grummz, is the founder of Red5 (studio that created FF), left there about 2 years ago and waited for FF to commence its death rattle before starting Ember.

Ember, in it's present state, is strictly a concept set in the Crixa universe. Crixa is a tabletop RPG that also doesn't exist yet (please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points).

To the best of my knowledge there is no FAQ yet, although I have found enough info to make the beginnings of one. I'd feel a bit arrogant posting it though as I'm one of the newer arrivals to this board. Hmm, it seems I got the email from the FF forums at 2100 CDT last night. Anyway, if there's interest I'll compile the FAQ from the info I have and let people correct my mistakes. :confused:

We only wish.

At the moment there is no game, it's in the concept phase. Mark Kern, aka Grummz, is the founder of Red5 (studio that created FF), left there about 2 years ago and waited for FF to commence its death rattle before starting Ember.

Ember, in it's present state, is strictly a concept set in the Crixa universe. Crixa is a tabletop RPG that also doesn't exist yet (please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points).

To the best of my knowledge there is no FAQ yet, although I have found enough info to make the beginnings of one. I'd feel a bit arrogant posting it though as I'm one of the newer arrivals to this board. Hmm, it seems I got the email from the FF forums at 2100 CDT last night. Anyway, if there's interest I'll compile the FAQ from the info I have and let people correct my mistakes. :confused:
as much as i know ember will play in a universe in an era where you mine resources and drain complete planets empty. the ppl that do this are called "reapers" and use MEK-As to extract resources.