Issue That Needs to be Addressed: Resources

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
In Firefall, we had a problem that high quality resources were being grabbed up like hotcakes and low quality ones were being left alone. Grummz THINKS he's solved that problem by requiring you to use some low quality resources in your crafting. And that's a good partial solution. But there is one factor that needs to be addressed: mid quality resources.

So let's say, for instance, that in order to craft the frame I need, I need high quality grummz gold, ronynium, and faerite, and low quality christite and fillmorium. I go out searching for, perhaps, over 700 quality of the former, and under 300 quality of the latter. The problem is I'm completely foregoing anything from 300-700 quality because it is useless to me. Which is where we run into a similar problem as we had in Firefall. You could argue that they could be used to craft evenly-distributed stats, but who wants that?

I have a couple of ideas for solutions, but I'm interested in what the community has to say.

Option A: mid quality resources are the best for refining into common ore

Option B: somehow they are better for the basic tier of crafting.

How do you guys think we should address this?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In Firefall, we had a problem that high quality resources were being grabbed up like hotcakes and low quality ones were being left alone. Grummz THINKS he's solved that problem by requiring you to use some low quality resources in your crafting. And that's a good partial solution. But there is one factor that needs to be addressed: mid quality resources.

So let's say, for instance, that in order to craft the frame I need, I need high quality grummz gold, ronynium, and faerite, and low quality christite and fillmorium. I go out searching for, perhaps, over 700 quality of the former, and under 300 quality of the latter. The problem is I'm completely foregoing anything from 300-700 quality because it is useless to me. Which is where we run into a similar problem as we had in Firefall. You could argue that they could be used to craft evenly-distributed stats, but who wants that?

I have a couple of ideas for solutions, but I'm interested in what the community has to say.

Option A: mid quality resources are the best for refining into common ore

Option B: somehow they are better for the basic tier of crafting.

How do you guys think we should address this?
I like option A

I think with basic tier crafting it could be between low and med quality and with standard quality a mix of mid and high but for really top stuff you need low, mid and high in different ratio because they are all important to make it work well.

what if they could broken down or improved

1) If the med quality resource is to be upgraded could use a special compound that goes through a fusion process to create the higher tier quality.

This process depends on the amount of the special compound used + the mid tier quality lvl usually it gets and is capped to a point that would at least give options to improve it.

E.g if mid tier resource meowtian 668 + Special compund X = Meowtian 736
The question then could be how much special compound X to convert a single resource and would compound X work better on a good ratio of 60:40 or could having too much be a waste?

How could we obtain compound X maybe that is created or obtained from tsihu or kaiju's?

2) The process to reduce the quality the resource could be added with an enzyme and put into a deconstruction unit where it breaks it away just enough, without completely destroying the resource.

The risk of this is if you go through the process too many times there wont be anything.
This could help reduce a resource to a lower grade and the enzyme it self perhaps found in some plants or environments such as near volcanoes and even in another region etc

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
In my mind I compare this to camping pets for hunters in world of Warcraft. Everybody wants ghost crawler but only a few people can get it because it's so rare.. and when you finally get it it's an achievement and you feel happy about it... I think that rare resources would be something like this. When you find a node of rare minerals it's exciting and you feel like all the time you put in finally paid off. But maybe rare minerals causes tougher enemies to spawn when using the thumper.. because they want the rare stuff too. :V:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In my mind I compare this to camping pets for hunters in world of Warcraft. Everybody wants ghost crawler but only a few people can get it because it's so rare.. and when you finally get it it's an achievement and you feel happy about it... I think that rare resources would be something like this. When you find a node of rare minerals it's exciting and you feel like all the time you put in finally paid off. But maybe rare minerals causes tougher enemies to spawn when using the thumper.. because they want the rare stuff too. :V:

Everyone want that rare stuff it doesn't stay in one spot if i was a rare detector would put a tracker on this but it is very deceptive because this rare is a chameleon rare and can change the shape & colour.

What if only find out if you got it after it is processed in the resource collection otherwise you not know you got it so that's just that!

Then it could Ghost crawler & grab on the shoulders and become a ghost rider back pack!

cl_ogar0

Jun 25, 2017
Oh i loved hunting for high tier resources in firefall at one point where qualities actually had some meanings. There was this website even that let you mark places you found stuff, that felt nice. also minmaxing frames potential using spreadsheet so you dont go past frame power requirements... What was it. 1.4 version of the game or something?

But back on topic, there could be a "trade in" system where you can deposit minerals in 3:1 ratio to recieve higher quality one perhaps.

For example i have 300 units of quality 500 of same material
You go to npc, vending machine, whatever, and trade 300 units for 100 of same material but 33% quality higher, with a cap of 800 lets say, so it still encourages you to play the game to get the actual best qualities.
You could even make it a gamble, drop 3 different materials, get a random material output with averaged up quality (perhaps with even 900 quality cap? to spice it up?)

btw
it would also come into play to reduce inevitable inventory bloat