Infinite ammo

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is about the idea of having infinite ammo in Em-8er. What are your views on the idea? And what are some ways it could or could not work?

I was thinking about this because I love sci-fi games and mecha. And in some of the games when it came to some types of energy weapons you basically had infinite ammo. There was good logic in the those games' lore and in their game mechanics as to why it was possible for to fire a non-stop spray of infinite shots if you wanted to. And in mecha games it was do to the power source of the mecha itself. By linking the energy weapon to your mech's power supply you can keep it powered and/or charged at all times without the need to do things like reload / change the battery(s). This naturally comes with some draw backs too. The main one being the more energy the weapon uses the less energy other systems in the mech have. But this too also plays into the lore and game play elements of some games.

Personally, I'm for the idea of having a few weapon types that have infinite ammo as long as it makes sense for them to have it going by their power source. And the way some games balance out the fact that you have infinite ammo with these weapons is that you have to think about things like now much energy are you draining form other systems and/or how much heat are you building up within the weapon as you fire it non-stop. Although there are ways to counter these things if you are willing to take the time build your mech's systems around the use of the weapon(s).

I'll give a few examples of what I mean. Mind you that in most games mechs tend to have a near infinite amount of power in their reactors or generators, or at the least the power supply is not going to run out for a few hundred years if left undamaged.

• Laser weapons linked your mech's power system can fire endlessly if you wanted too. The advantage of these types of weapons is that they can run on any power source the generates electricity. The draw back being that longer you use the weapon at full power the faster it heats up and this can throw of your aim as the beam becomes unfocused or the weapon overheats and the emergency shutdown kicks stop you from damaging the weapon.
    • In some of the more realistic games laser weapons also do less damage in water and in weather effects like rain or heavy fog. This is because the water takes away the heat of beam and water drops in the rain or fog can defuse the beam enough to not be as effective do to each drop beaning the light of beam as it passes through it.
  • Charged particle weapons can also fire endlessly as long as the power source is something that can generate particles for it use. The most common types of power sources these types of weapons are linked to are things like fusion reactors, anti-matter reactors, and some times nuclear reactors. Any type of power source where where the byproduct of creating electricity is also generating particles, be they subatomic particles or even just full atoms.
    • This weapons have the draw back of needing to charge up before you can use them. But the up side to them it the raw destructive power they have. Because not only can the weapon do damage in number of ways from the particles hitting the target but also of the radiation the particles and weapon gives off. So even if an enemy was heavily armored block the physical attack unless they was also able to block the radiation from the attack too their odds of survival are still low.
In the more realistic games that allowed you customize your mech how you wanted too. The way I would build my mechs was to have and highest energy output power source possible and made sure it was at least twice as powerful than what I needed to run all my mech's other systems all at once. Then allocate all the rest of the power to the energy weapon(s). To counteract the all the heat that would build up in my mech and/or weapons (in the games where heat generation mattered) I would put the largest radiator I could get away with in my mech along with a few heat sinks and vents cooling as fast as possible. Note that in some games your vents can't help you cool down if you have an bubble-like energy shield around you, do to the fast that some energy shields also traps in heat in top of making their own heat. So tended to go full on class cannon mode and replacing the parts that would have been for defense with more mobility. Large fuel tanks and extra thrusters so I can move in ways that are hard to track and can even avoid homing weapons.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Was thinking if you had lets say a tactical bow and the projectile arrows could teleport back.

Then what if you had a weather dependent weapon type and could use things such as the wind, heat and light rays to regenerate certain weapons.

What if your main power source was depleted and could switch power source it maybe suitable for certain conditions and save on the necessary energy/ammo. You could think of it as energy hybrid sources just like that of vehicles.

Then there could be ways to recharge with the amount of friction and kinetic energy created from sliding down hills to punching stuff and even receiving physical damage could regenerate too.

Aug 14, 2016
How about a weapon that has a mini replicator built inside of it - every time you fire around it replicates a new round. ✌️
Hmm... something like a 3d printer inside your mech and/or weapon could work too. And you can use different things to you mine to craft different rounds. Like using a super dense metal to make armor piercing rounds that not one hit the enemy you are aiming out but also 20 other enemies who just happened to be behind them in a line. As person who often mains as sniper, that is one my goals. Because I don't just aim for the enemy that is in front of me. I'm also aiming for the enemies on the other side of them to see how many I can kill with one bullet.

Was thinking if you had lets say a tactical bow and the projectile arrows could teleport back.

Then what if you had a weather dependent weapon type and could use things such as the wind, heat and light rays to regenerate certain weapons.

What if your main power source was depleted and could switch power source it maybe suitable for certain conditions and save on the necessary energy/ammo. You could think of it as energy hybrid sources just like that of vehicles.

Then there could be ways to recharge with the amount of friction and kinetic energy created from sliding down hills to punching stuff and even receiving physical damage could regenerate too.
One of the best things about bows and arrows is that they make little sound while in use so you can stay in stealth. Plus you put a lot of things inside and on arrows to give them different effects. Like poison tipped arrows or arrows with bombs on them or with nets on them. Plus armor that is designed to stop bullets can't block arrows because the energy of how bullet hurts you and how an arrow hurts you is to different. So yea, you can totally kill someone wearing a bulletproof vest but hitting them in the cheat with an arrow. Also if we are going into really high tech arrows I want something like this.

As for using weather control as weapon I've seen and broken a few games using that ability, mostly in table top games like D&D with friends. Partly because I know how real weapons and weather work so I end up with some OP attacks when things line up right. For example by gathering up the water in the air I can make large lens to focus the light from the sun into a heat ray. Think holding up a magnifying glass on a sunny day, but this magnifying glass is about the size of a town. And to make the heat ray even more powerful I just make multiple lens of water in the air each one focusing the light from the sun even more than the one before it. My character "Burn in holy fire from the sky."