In game MP3 player

Is having a built in MP3 player a good idea.

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Aug 14, 2016
This idea as only been in like handful of MMO I've played but it goes like this. Besides having their own BGMs the game lets you make a file where you put you own music into, you can then use the game's MP3 player hear those songs as if they was just normal BGMs. You can also make your own play lists as to what songs play on what maps what song play in combat and out of combat.

Would this be something you would like to see in Ember?

Personally, I like the idea and wish it was an option in more MMOs. The power of music can be really strong, like some people play games better based on what song they are hearing at the time powerful. I'm sure everyone who as plays games with friends knows that person never seems to lose once their favorite song starts to play because they can more easily get into the zone.

I can image a group of friends doing things like getting into their Omniframe about go into battle and playing Flight of the Valkyries as they fly in formation onto the battlefield. :cool:

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Play music from a any stand alone player in the background, most keyboards nowadays have buttons that can control players, or you can just make some macros for any other keys.

Like I don't mind a feature like this for people who want that, but for something like that its almost not worth development time, unless it is very easy to implement.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I think the system could/should be implemented, as it can be combined with client side audio modding.

This way someone could for instance release a Gundam/Armored Core/Girls Und Panzer/Aldnoah.Zero client side mod putting their soundtracks and voice overs into the game. Weapon/Machinery sounds could also be included for those that want it.

Some of the well liked mods in World of Tanks happen to be crew voice overs, sounds tracks, enhanced vehicle/weapon audio.

Jul 26, 2016
Sounds as useful as WoW's in game voice chat to me.

Literally anything else out there can provide your own choice of music.

Last edited:

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Like Vladplaya already mentioned - there is no actual reason to do that. Every dirt cheap keyboard has multimedia keys these days. The devs should focus on solid gameplay, but not a crap tone of fancy unnecessary additions like ingame players, dumb achievements etc.

Aug 14, 2016
The way I see it is part of the function for in-game music players is also help with those games with a lot of VO. As because if you use non-game music players while playing games sounds can sometimes interfere with each other. So you'll miss out what one NPCs and other stuff are telling you. But by having the music player be a part of the game itself it'll know to automatically adjust the sound levels of the music to let you hear what game wants to tell you.

So let's say I'm in the middle of a large scale battle playing some loud heavy metal music. But the A.I. in my Omniframe or some NPC I'm working with has an important thing to tell me. If I'm just using my normal music player I wouldn't be able to hear the message over the music I'm playing. But with an integrated music player it'll know to adjust the volume levels of stuff so I can hear important things over the music without them interfering with each other.

Last edited:

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
I just use steam's inbuilt music player, but usually I don't carry my own music, so I just go on youtube from steam and leave it playing in the overlay.

But it'd totally kick it if the game had its own music interface so that it can lower the volume during comms

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
+1

Perhaps it can be an option/feature as part of a milestone? If the milestone gets funded, then it should be worked on. If no funds for it, then it's not added to the game.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I think it would just end up causing bloat if it were to be added officially. If it's possible for some user to make an mp3 player addon, that would be cool and I can choose to not have it installed. You can just use a good media player like foobar2000 to control music in the background with features like ReplayGain though. If you have any media keys on your keyboard, it's even easier to control the background music while gaming.

I would only support this if it is something that can be pretty much just "turned on" like a switch by the devs with virtually no man hours used to implement it. Above that, to me it is just a waste of valuable dev time that can be spent for the game itself. Or, maybe if it take time to incorporate it into the game it could be done well after the game is solid and there is a bit more time on the devs hands.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
If this was a cyberpunk themed game, it would be pretty funny if they just gave people ffmpeg on a command line in game.

Aug 14, 2016
I just had a funny idea of if NPCs using your client data could read the songs you put on the in-game music player and make comments about what songs you like. For example, while in a mission with some NPC you with they can over the music when they talk you on over the comlink and say something like "Turn this music off. This is important." or "You listen to that stuff? It hurts my ears." lol

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I just had a funny idea of if NPCs using your client data could read the songs you put on the in-game music player and make comments about what songs you like. For example, while in a mission with some NPC you with they can over the music when they talk you on over the comlink and say something like "Turn this music off. This is important." or "You listen to that stuff? It hurts my ears." lol
genius.