How conquering a planet could work

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
So we are getting a system where we conquer and terraform planets. I have my own idea of how it could work. This would be in steps, made by armies that will build their bases. Whole operation would be extremely expensive, but if the planet would be successfully conquered, it would grant players much more resources that what was consumed.

1. Clearing the area for landing
Before landing on planet, we would have to clear the area to land safely. In order to do that, we use orbital bombardment weapon. An army would have to raise materials (a lot) for one shot that would make a safe landing area. This can only be done on this stage. Because of the cost, it would require army's command to choose wisely a point where they'd like to land and set up a base.

2. Landing
Army is sending drop pods with small strike teams (5 people per drop pod). They are capturing/destroying enemy facilities nearby (capturing would be harder, but could give you materials for deconstruction, players could also use them) and making it possible for basebuilders to land safely.

3. Setting up a base
This process could look similar to how Soviets and Allies build in Red Alert 3. Some building would require other ones to be built. Each building except for reactor and construction yard requires power. All buildings would cost materials, that would have to be delivered to Construction Yard. So building order generally look like that:
1. Basebuilder converts to Construction Yard - a building required to build other building
2. Reactor - building that grants power for the base, in Ember it could be powered by a material (cheap to run, but still requires a little bit of uranium/crystite/whatever)
3. Refineries - may produce T.H.M.P.R. mechs, grants an ability to collect and refine materials
4. Base defenses - small, cheap buildings like turrets or cannons that would automatically defense the base
5. Garages, 3D printers, Assemblers, Workbenches - cheap buildings required to customize weapons and armor, make components, craft weapons and armor and customize weapons and armor. Small, essential for a base, draining very small amount of power
6. War Factory - building required to build vehicles, I will make a post for them later, this would give us an ability to produce small vehicles, with upgrades vehicles would be better
7. Airbase - same as War Factory, but for planes, blimps and helicopters
8. Docks (if water is nearby) - same as War Factory, but for ships, submarines and hovercrafts (hovercrafts could also be built in War Factory)
9. Lab - gives us ability to develop be tech for the base required for higher complexity buildings and vehicles
10. Terraformer buildings - would give us tools for terraforming
11. ? - maybe some strange buildings :)

4. Conquering and terraforming
After the base is set, players begin to push the enemy out of the planet and terraform it.

This system has quite a lot of depth in it, requires cooperation between army members and gives players an interesting goal to achieve. What do you think about it?

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
So are you also suggesting that we get a RTS version of Ember?

Even if it was just some cheap low budget RTS game.

doty

Veteran
Jul 27, 2016
I honestly just like the original Firefall, this would make drastic changes.
That's just my take on it.

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
So are you also suggesting that we get a RTS version of Ember?

Even if it was just some cheap low budget RTS game.
Just a part of it, Mark was talking about building bases similar to what I proposed. This would introduce RTS elements into FPS/TPS for some nice strategies

Jul 28, 2016
Germany
www.twitch.tv
The Idea isn't all that bad but i doubt it would work like this in Ember, people expect a Closed Beta Firefall with Ember which didn't had that as well.

It Certainly is a nice idea but the Majority of Players would Dislike it.

OgreMkV

Jul 27, 2016
Central Texas
I think it's a cool idea.

You log in, Big Annoucement screen pops-up. "We've begun base building at point blah blah blah", come join for lots of action. And you can go play defend the new base. The more people, the sooner the area is cleared (and the larger area cleared) and then there's the rush for mining, resource collection or whatever.

I'm thinking a multiday event here, not just a 20 minute incursion like FF.

I played Firefall and enjoyed it, for the most part. But I really wanted much more than that and something like this would go a ways toward that.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I just wanted to explore, kill things, have a few laughs with friends, explore some more, kill some more and so on. As long as they make sure the focus is on fun I don't care. They could have just use the OP's ideas as part of the taking back areas from the Melding or the Chosen.