How about some realistic combat outside of mech?

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone! What would you think about a system where when we are outside of omniframe, the combat behaves like in real world? (Similar to ArmA or Red Orchestra). So when we are in mech, we have more casual recoil and damage while fighting against let's say bandits while outside of mech would feel realistic in terms of weapon physics, damage etc.

What do you think?

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Like why tho?

I don't see anything good from trying to combine arcady gameplay with slow and tactical gameplay in an arcady game. It would just be extremely frustrating to be outside the frame and people will probably never do it, which would result in wasted development time that is required to make and support something like that.

Aug 14, 2016
As you some of you know I hate the idea of recoil in futuristic sci-fi shooter games because it makes no logical sense. Mostly because they add recoil to things that don't have recoil. And for the things that do have recoil they act like there are no advancements logic nor technology that has happened since the 1960's as there are ways to both in manufacturing and aftermarket modifications that reduce recoil or just flat out stop recoil from affecting your aim.

This is why I'm for the idea that before they even start to program weapons into games they devs need to know at least the basics of how real weapons work and are designed. Otherwise, they end up doing to stupid stuff like adding recoil to laser weapons.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I think that the 0.35 seconds you would survive outside of your mech while in combat isn't worth the amount of dev work required to implement, besides what exactly are you going to be shooting? I would hope that the weapons you would be firing from your Mech would be way too massive and unwieldy to be held by an unaugmented human. Imagine trying to shoot at a highly mobile Tsihu while lugging around a 1.5 meter long AR firing 30mm depleted uranium slugs (or whatever the futuristic equivalent is).

P.S. What bandits? You are fighting Tsihu and wildlife with minimal human presence. That's right, those Tsihu that Mark said were going to rip us apart while IN our mech's let alone outside of them. Remember that this is a terraforming project, unlike Firefall there is no preexisting human presence.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
The only way ground combat out of the mech would work is if you were inside a structure (be it base, or ancient ruins) and were not going to fight the transformed Tsihu.

I think that the 0.35 seconds you would survive outside of your mech while in combat isn't worth the amount of dev work required to implement, besides what exactly are you going to be shooting? I would hope that the weapons you would be firing from your Mech would be way too massive and unwieldy to be held by an unaugmented human. Imagine trying to shoot at a highly mobile Tsihu while lugging around a 1.5 meter long AR firing 30mm depleted uranium slugs (or whatever the futuristic equivalent is).
In theory we would have an emergency personal defense weapon should the mech be disabled.

To use some examples... every fighter pilot carries on them a pistol, and there is also a small rifle stored in their seat. Tank crews possess a similar setup in case they have to abandon the tank in hostile territory. In Macross Frontier every fighter has a folding collapsible rifle situated just under them that they can grab, as the pilots wear a transforming exoskeleton suit that interfaces with the vehicle itself. When they are in the craft it acts as their seat and vehicle controls and when they eject from their disabled craft the suit transforms to enclose their limbs and acts as a power armor with limited flight capabilities armed with a rifle.

Aug 14, 2016
The only way ground combat out of the mech would work is if you were inside a structure (be it base, or ancient ruins) and were not going to fight the transformed Tsihu.

In theory we would have an emergency personal defense weapon should the mech be disabled.

To use some examples... every fighter pilot carries on them a pistol, and there is also a small rifle stored in their seat. Tank crews possess a similar setup in case they have to abandon the tank in hostile territory. In Macross Frontier every fighter has a folding collapsible rifle situated just under them that they can grab, as the pilots wear a transforming exoskeleton suit that interfaces with the vehicle itself. When they are in the craft it acts as their seat and vehicle controls and when they eject from their disabled craft the suit transforms to enclose their limbs and acts as a power armor with limited flight capabilities armed with a rifle.
Plus, I would imagine that things like weak points and damage type weakness wound still exist even if you are not in the mecha. Meaning it would not be impossible for someone with good aim with a powerful enough weapon, ranged and melee, to kill enemies even if they are giant monsters.

In real life, even if an animal has an armored body there is aways a few weak points you can target to hurt them and kill them, namely the joints and seams. And no matter how hard an animal is on the outside they are soft on the inside, making things like aiming for the mouth every time they open it an option. And if you are small enough to be swallowed whole you have the option to do a lot of damage on your way to the gut, meaning you have the option kill something from the inside out by literally jumping down its throat.

This not even counting things like toxic damage and allergic reactions. For example, what if I knew that this monster as a deadly allergic reaction to something inside a flower. As part of my survival kit I might have a vial of the extracts of that plant as will as a book on what things are toxic not only to humans but toxic to dangerous monsters as well, and where to find and safely use those toxins as weapons.

Relatively tiny beings can kill relatively giant beings all the time simply because the small one has some toxin that can and will kill the larger one. Example, being something like a spider that is small enough to fit on the tip of your finger has a toxin that will kill you if it were to bit your finger, even if you are a giant next to the size of the spider.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
personal don't want too much realism i am here for the escapism there is already enough games with realism
What jumping down the throat of some giant monster and shooting or cutting you way out of its body, exploding out of them like you are a chestburster before doing a little song and dance just to show how bad ass you are.

Lol

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
YOU WANT REALISM SH*T? THEN WE ALL GONNA BE CONSTANTLY WEARING F*CKING HAZMAT/BIO SUIT.
EVEN IF WE TERRAFORM THE SH*T OUT OF THAT PLANET, IT'S ENVIRONMENT WILL STILL BE F*CKING DIFFERENT THAN OUR RETARDED HOMEWORLD, THAT THOSE CREEPY BACTERIA SH*T WOULD F*CKING KILL US WITHIN WEEKS.

REAL LIFE IS REALISM ENOUGH! I SAY F*CK THAT SHIT!

Aug 14, 2016
The funny things to me is video game logic doesn't always make sense. As some of you can tell by how I like to do things like point out physics, thermodynamics, biology, and psychology. I don't care if it is in realism or in fantasy I just want things to make sense and be logical.

And the truth of the matter is any race of beings smart enough to terraform whole planets and have the ability to do so would also have the knowledge and ability to change their own bodies at will to be able to survival anywhere they want. Meaning the act of terraforming a planet to better fit their need is an active choice born out of wanting the change the planet rather than change themselves. This mean there is nothing stopping the Humans from doing things like changing their DNA to allow them to live on the planet unaided without terraforming other than personal choice and beliefs.

And this brings up some anthropological questions of why this choice was made and carried out in the first place. Because realistically culturally and socially there should be at least some people who reject the idea of terraforming and the need to use things like mecha to survive. This would be groups of people who change their bodies to better survive on the planet and give themselves the ability to fight hostiles unaided (like I pointed earlier in this thread there are options to take for beings to take even if they want to kill beings who are relatively giants to them). This also means that some humans would take the idea the Tsihu had of turning into giant kaiju and adapt it to turn into giant humans or titans rather than jumping into a mecha. So realistically speaking there should be at least a small group of Humans who choose to survive and fight without the aid of guns and mecha in favor of natural and biological weapons (fangs, claws, spikes, stingers, acid, light, sound, toxins, and so on).

Also such a group of people would have an option to fight that the Humans who focus on mechas wouldn't. Using parasitic tactics to take over the body and/or minds of the Tsihu to have them turn on each other. So if I was a member of that goup of Humans and the Tsihu attacked in their kaiju form I could just jump on their backs or heads grab on to their spine or brains and start controlling them like a puppet to attack other Tsihu.

Adding real world logic to games, sometimes makes things a lot fun and scarier when you really think about it. lol

Last edited:

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
The funny things to me is video game logic doesn't always make sense. As some of you can tell by how I like to do things like point out physics, thermodynamics, biology, and psychology. I don't care if it is in realism or in fantasy I just want things to make sense and be logical.

And the truth of the matter is any race of beings smart enough to terraform whole planets and have the ability to do so would also have the knowledge and ability to change their own bodies at will to be able to survival anywhere they want. Meaning the act of terraforming a planet to better fit their need is an active choice born out of wanting the change the planet rather than change themselves. This mean there is nothing stopping the Humans from doing things like changing their DNA to allow them to live on the planet unaided without terraforming other than personal choice and beliefs.

And this brings up some anthropological questions of why this choice was made and carried out in the first place. Because realistically culturally and socially there should be at least some people who reject the idea of terraforming and the need to use things like mecha to survive. This would be groups of people who change their bodies to better survive on the planet and give themselves the ability to fight hostiles unaided (like I pointed earlier in this thread there are options to take for beings to take even if they want to kill beings who are relatively giants to them). This also means that some humans would take the idea the Tsihu had of turning into giant kaiju and adapt it to turn into giant humans or titans rather than jumping into a mecha. So realistically speaking there should be at least of small group of Humans who choose to survive and fight with the aid of guns and mecha in favor of natural and biological weapons (fangs, claws, spikes, stingers, acid, light, sound, toxins, and so on).

Also such a group of people would have an option to fight that the Humans who focus on mechas wouldn't. Using parasitic tactics to take over the body and/or minds of the Tsihu to have them turn on each other. So if I was a member of that goup of Humans and the Tsihu attacked in their kaiju form I could just jump on their backs or heads grab on to their spine or brains and start controlling them like a puppet to attack other Tsihu.

Adding real world logic to games, sometimes makes things a lot fun and scarier when you really think about it. lol
y'know I tried to grow a tail once, didn't quite work out.

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
There should be a mission where your Omniframe MEK shuts down or something, and you need to get out of it and make a mad dash to shut down whatever source of power is crippling your frame. No weapon, no shooting, just running and stealth for survival from the creatures lurking in the darkness.

Or you get out of your suit to access tight caverns to plant explosives inside to make an entry way to the cave so you can get inside with your MEK to thump resources. (or any other destination goal)

Or hidden treasures in secret places you need to get out of your suit to reach, but you don't have weapons, as a tiny assault rifle would do nothing against the Tsihu, so it's purely stealth and vulnerability when you are outside your frame.
Expect the risk of death for the reward.

"Whatever you do boss, don't stop running" - Aero

Last edited: