Gameworld Scale: Single planet to a Solar System?

What is the size of the playble world you would like to have?

• One Huge Planet with a more realistic size

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Few Smaller Planets

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A whole Solar System, with even smaller planets

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
What would the ideal size for the playble universe in your opinion?

I would like a single huge planet, this way the developers can focus on terraforming mechanics and how to make the planet feels more alive and fun instead of having to split work into stuff like interplanetary travel.

Beerdog6

Firstclaimer
Aug 1, 2016
I think to start with a single planet. Start with one area. add on other parts as you go along. Maybe in the future add additional planets for more players.

Jul 27, 2016
From what I've read, I thought we would have a scale of multiple solar systems, but given budget and time this either won't happen in a timely manner, or at all. It might not have been in design at all.

A fusion of ideas from another thread presents a seasons or league system in which everyone plays on a single planet at a time, moving on to the next when it's completely terraformed.

When humanity first lands on a planet they first establish a few major Biodomes, T1 collection and terraforming facilities that double as colonies. From there, players move out into the Badlands/Wasteland/Wild with MEK-As to begin harvesting resources for the dual purpose of improving their own equipment and contributing to the terraforming effort. As the colonies grow, T2 collection points called Depots are constructed. These could be world events, or player/company erected structures. The construction of depots, and subsequently T3 collection Outposts enables a wider area to be efficiently mined, the idea being that while you can technically call a MEK-A anywhere, it still has to walk back to the nearest collection point.

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
From what I've read, I thought we would have a scale of multiple solar systems, but given budget and time this either won't happen in a timely manner, or at all. It might not have been in design at all.

A fusion of ideas from another thread presents a seasons or league system in which everyone plays on a single planet at a time, moving on to the next when it's completely terraformed.

When humanity first lands on a planet they first establish a few major Biodomes, T1 collection and terraforming facilities that double as colonies. From there, players move out into the Badlands/Wasteland/Wild with MEK-As to begin harvesting resources for the dual purpose of improving their own equipment and contributing to the terraforming effort. As the colonies grow, T2 collection points called Depots are constructed. These could be world events, or player/company erected structures. The construction of depots, and subsequently T3 collection Outposts enables a wider area to be efficiently mined, the idea being that while you can technically call a MEK-A anywhere, it still has to walk back to the nearest collection point.
Yeah i see it happening like the terraforming of Mars in Cowboy Bebop, small pockets of earth-like atmosphere on a mostly hostile planet 2_Marscity.png

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Did you start thinking of seasons or leagues because I kept bringing up Path of Exile?

Jul 27, 2016
Did you start thinking of seasons or leagues because I kept bringing up Path of Exile?
Partially PoE, partially "There's no way in hell are we staying on one planet forever". It'd be nice to carry your frames over, but maybe drop the majority of our crafting materials or something.

By the way, I think a barter system could work.

Jul 28, 2016
Most likely it will start with a small territory then expand from there. It would be nice someday to have spacecraft (like Firefly), space battles, and other planets...but that would be down the road.

Smile

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
New Zealand
www.twitch.tv
It seems that most of the game will be on earth from what I can tell, but that is not to say if it gets far enough into the story that there aren't plans for zones to be released elsewhere.

Jul 27, 2016
We haven't discussed the enemy. I believe that there was an alien faction actively working against us? Perhaps a mechanically themed borg-like enemy that would actively attempt to destroy terrain and fight our terraforming efforts?

It could have an effect on the gameworld, though I can't remember exactly what I thought that was 5 minutes ago.

Last edited: