Firefall's high-tech Raiders

Aug 1, 2016
I read the Firefall storyline that was posted here: http://crixa.io/2016/06/a-gift-for-firefall-lore-hounds/

But I still need to know, what about those high-tech raiders? Where do they come from? Where did they get the tech? What are they trying to accomplish?

The only reasonable explanation I've come up with so far is that they are soldiers from Alpha Centauri, trying to stop the Arclight from being build so they can declare independence. Ofcourse they didn't know about the building of the Arclight until late so they didn't know it was already finished by the time they arrived. They get there with superior arcfolding technology, allowing them to teleport humans across the stars, which is why they have such high-tech when they arrive on earth.

Daevic

Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Devil's Tusk
Ohh those guys, the Ophanim (spelling) theyre soldiers from Siberia, a machine controlled place led by a computer called Odin. they can teleport around like that because theyre mostly machine now and have very little human parts left in them, so arcfolding around is not an issue. if I remember correctly they were after Crystite, but thats about all the information I gathered on them someone else will have to fill on the rest :)

Aug 1, 2016
I left before the Ophanim were added. I was talking about the high-tech raiders teleporting all over the place, but they seem to be filed under "just bandits".

Aug 14, 2016
Well before the Ophanim was added to the game the high-level raider and bandits, especially the bosses, would say things like "You are fighting on the wrong side.", "You don't know what it is out there. What is coming. We do.", "Something is coming and the ACCORD is not enough to stop it.", "There is something coming from beyond the moon. We've seen it, your not ready.". I think it because the bandits were gearing up for some large scale event that they felt the ACCORD couldn't handle was part of the reason why one of the bandit leaders would ask you to join them while you were fighting him (to bad you couldn't join other groups). We never learned what it was they were so afraid of or how they were still able to do things like see into deep space. We just knew some of them lived near or even within the Melding with little to no ill effects (at least in the short term) and are able to move to different areas in spite of the Melding.

Although it could be possible that some of the Humans who had an immunity to the Melding could have joined their ranks to help them. The few Humans who were effected by the Melding but didn't die or turn into Chosen soon found that besides being immune to the Melding they have also gained odd abilities from it. We know these people soon after went into hiding to protect themselves both from the Chosen and the ACCORD. The Chosen wanted to kill them because they can't allow anything that has the ability to resist the Melding live. And the ACCORD wanted to study them and turn them into weapons against the Chosen and maybe the Melding itself, but since many of them were children and elderly who are unable to fight, it made sense for the adults to gather up the children and put them into hiding. There were even a few data logs you could find around Shanty Town telling of how an old man caring for some special kids worked with smugglers to take them someplace the ACCORD couldn't find them.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
Well before the Ophanim was added to the game the high-level raider and bandits, especially the bosses, would say things like "You are fighting on the wrong side.", "You don't know what it is out there. What is coming. We do.", "Something is coming and the ACCORD is not enough to stop it.", "There is something coming from beyond the moon. We've seen it, your not ready.". I think it because the bandits were gearing up for some large scale event that they felt the ACCORD couldn't handle was part of the reason why one of the bandit leaders would ask you to join them while you were fighting him (to bad you couldn't join other groups). We never learned what it was they were so afraid of or how they were still able to do things like see into deep space. We just knew some of them lived near or even within the Melding with little to no ill effects (at least in the short term) and are able to move to different areas in spite of the Melding.
And that's part of the reason why I want to know. The Arclight was supposed to be the pinnacle of human technology, armed and outfitted with the highest tech weapons and battleframes the entire world had to offer at the time... And these Raiders outstrip that technology. Then these Raiders start raiding human facilities, killing anyone in their way and stealing technology and equipment. Then when you are send after them it's a shoot-first-ask-questions-later deal.
And that makes no sense. They say they are preparing for something worse coming from behind the moon... but instead of trying to work with the accord and keeping as much of dying humanity alive, they murder just about anyone they come across, wreck facilities the accord needs to build equipment and new technologies and whenever someone comes towards them they say "please stop and talk" while spinning up a giant gattling gun.

Although it could be possible that some of the Humans who had an immunity to the Melding could have joined their ranks to help them. The few Humans who were effected by the Melding but didn't die or turn into Chosen soon found that besides being immune to the Melding they have also gained odd abilities from it. We know these people soon after went into hiding to protect themselves both from the Chosen and the ACCORD. The Chosen wanted to kill them because they can't allow anything that has the ability to resist the Melding live. And the ACCORD wanted to study them and turn them into weapons against the Chosen and maybe the Melding itself, but since many of them were children and elderly who are unable to fight, it made sense for the adults to gather up the children and put them into hiding. There were even a few data logs you could find around Shanty Town telling of how an old man caring for some special kids worked with smugglers to take them someplace the ACCORD couldn't find them.
I thought those were those psychic people? Affinites? There were a dozen shelters as well as testing facilities scattered all over New Eden before the Arclight crash. Most of those Affinites accepted the Melding and became Chosen. A few, like in the Manga, didn't. Shanty town had one big bunker that was an affinite shelter above it close to the melding. But as far as I know those shelters and testing facilities had all shut down after the arclight crash since most were now Chosen and the few that remained free were fleeing and hiding constantly.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
The Ophanim were in FF, last I checked; they were even involved in a few missions and referenced by name, leaving us dazed and confused as to their human arcfolding tech. Their faction was simply never explored much and most players paid them no mind, since they died as easy as any other humanoid target. They sounded different and had different skins, but they were effectively just more soldiers.

Thunderstrike

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, Ophanim are still in FF. I came across them when exploring DT earlier today (Diamondhead was a cooler name btw), holding a scientists captive... for whatever reason.